Notices

Pca ucr track day question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 11:15 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Pca ucr track day question

Hey guys, 2 questions for those that have done a pca (non ids) track day.
1) do you really need a fire extinguisher?
2) do I need to install the front tow hook, or just have it in the car?

if a fire extinguisher is needed, what do people here do for that?
Old 04-28-2022, 12:11 AM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Hi there, I’ve done quite a few of them and going this weekend as well!

You definitely need both the fire extinguisher and the tow hook installed prior to entering the tech inspection line.

I have a Rennline, under the seat, fire extinguisher mount in my Cayman. I know that Mantis used to sell their own simpler version that is less expensive and probably easier to obtain on short notice.

My car# is 136, come by to say hi.
Old 04-28-2022, 01:41 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 167 Posts

olegd's got it pat down. @olegd Where did you buy your Rennline mount?

Not affiliated, but someone is selling a bracket on the PCA UCR classifieds but I'm not sure if it will fit your car.

I use an Element fire extinguisher and the Bracketeer underseat mount (can be purchased and picked up in Etobicoke.) I don't love the Bracketeer solution but it works.
Name:  GyhOASWh.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  137.6 KB

Last edited by bcrdukes; 04-28-2022 at 01:43 AM.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:25 AM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by olegd
Hi there, I’ve done quite a few of them and going this weekend as well!

You definitely need both the fire extinguisher and the tow hook installed prior to entering the tech inspection line.

I have a Rennline, under the seat, fire extinguisher mount in my Cayman. I know that Mantis used to sell their own simpler version that is less expensive and probably easier to obtain on short notice.

My car# is 136, come by to say hi.
thanks! I’ll come say hi! I’ll be in 575.

mantis had these canister one-time extinguishers, but the mount needs to be drilled in, which I didn’t like. I’ll call them back and see if they have any traditional mounts
Old 04-28-2022, 08:29 AM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bcrdukes

Not affiliated, but someone is selling a bracket on the PCA UCR classifieds but I'm not sure if it will fit your car.

I use an Element fire extinguisher and the Bracketeer underseat mount (can be purchased and picked up in Etobicoke.) I don't love the Bracketeer solution but it works.
thanks! I’ll check out both those options
Old 04-28-2022, 09:52 AM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the help everyone who responded and PM'd me. I'll be picking up the one off of PCA's classified on the way to the track and installing there. We'll be putting my mediocre wrenching skills to the test! Can I undo two bolts? Who knows...
Old 04-28-2022, 12:55 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

They may not be normal bolts so check to make sure you have the right tools to remove them in advance. Would suck to show up to the tech line only to fail the inspection.
Old 04-28-2022, 02:07 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

They may not be normal bolts so check to make sure you have the right tools to remove them in advance. Would suck to show up to the tech line only to fail the inspection.
good call. I’ve ordered a set of e-sockets.
Old 04-28-2022, 02:37 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

seats on a 996 turbo use allen key, I believe. just move the seat back and remove the the front 2 bolts.
They used to allow first time student to not have fire extinguisher for first weekend, may have changed.
Also I thought fire extinguisher was part of shop tech inspection form. I assume you did shop inspection?
Old 04-28-2022, 02:42 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Funny you mention that, Turbodan. When I brough my car to Porsche Centre North Toronto, they passed on checking off the fire extinguisher and my tow hook and simply said that tech inspection on day-of will mark that off. I was sort of like, "Huh?"

I believe it's the rear seat bolts that are weird ones but the fronts might be just a regular metric socket or Allen key (I don't remember, sorry.)

Any how, enjoy the track day and please do follow up on how the inspection and fire extinguisher mount works out! I won't be able to join you guys this weekend but please do enjoy!
Old 04-28-2022, 02:51 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Hey guys, yes, I got the inspection. They didn't sign off on tow hook or fire extinguisher, thus this thread. So, I've found the fire extinguisher, and I just have to figure out how to pop out that front circle in the bumper without scratching it all up.

Everything else went smoothly. The car is good to go!
The following users liked this post:
bcrdukes (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 03:04 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Muskoka
Hey guys, yes, I got the inspection. They didn't sign off on tow hook or fire extinguisher, thus this thread. So, I've found the fire extinguisher, and I just have to figure out how to pop out that front circle in the bumper without scratching it all up.

Everything else went smoothly. The car is good to go!
Press on the edge of the tow hook door, it will open!
A note on PCA rules. Anything that's mounted inside or outside of the car has to be bolted on, in other words, zip ties, ropes, bungee cords are not permitted.
Old 04-28-2022, 04:52 PM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 94 Posts

Bring extra blankies, it's going to be a cold one! Come say hello to #289 if you see me...
Old 04-28-2022, 05:13 PM
CL944135I
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This fire extinguisher will become a projectile in a crash. Those clips will not hold it in place, I'd recommend finding a different solution.
There was a PCA instructor that was hit by an extinguisher a few years back when his student crashed. Plastic bracket in that case but, you want it to stay put if the worst happens.
The following users liked this post:
bcrdukes (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 05:58 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for that. I am surprised these are PCA approved!

I’m not married to the idea of this solution so I’m likely going to get the Rennlist solution and repurpose this setup.

Quick Reply: Pca ucr track day question