Notices

Pca ucr track day question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 07:07 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbee
Need to shop for a mount for my 982 and a fire extinguisher, any updated recommendation and experience to share ?

Currently looking at this https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1192...ercaymanspyder and
this https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1206...uisher-bracket
Could you not just by parts from Porsche, I had OE extinguisher in my 718 Spyder/718 GT4 for track purposes.
Old 01-31-2024, 04:28 PM
Cityfisher
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Hi all,
interested in maybe trying out a track day this coming season. What do I need to get started? these are porsche club of america events?

Sorry to hijack!
Old 01-31-2024, 05:11 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

So much good info if you google 'first track day rennlist forum'

Start drooling at motorsportreg
The following users liked this post:
Cityfisher (01-31-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 11:47 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Cityfisher
Hi all,
interested in maybe trying out a track day this coming season. What do I need to get started? these are porsche club of america events?

Sorry to hijack!
all the info is here:
https://pcaucr.org/driving/driver-education-2024/
if you do not have track experience, you need to sign up for skid pad (IDE) first. it is a lot of fun!
Old 02-01-2024, 12:54 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 167 Posts

@Cityfisher In order for us to guide you in the right direction, where are you located?
Old 02-01-2024, 01:23 PM
Cityfisher
Racer

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
@Cityfisher In order for us to guide you in the right direction, where are you located?
newmarket
Old 02-01-2024, 02:06 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Register (ASAP!) for the PCA UCR Introductory Driving School, which is a pre-requisite to PCA UCR DE days - https://reg.pcaucr.org/

https://pcaucr.org/driving/driver-ed...riving-school/

Upcoming Introductory Driving School is being hosted May 11-12, 2024 at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
Old 02-01-2024, 02:12 PM
Cityfisher
Racer

Register (ASAP!) for the PCA UCR Introductory Driving School, which is a pre-requisite to PCA UCR DE days - https://reg.pcaucr.org/

https://pcaucr.org/driving/driver-ed...riving-school/

Upcoming Introductory Driving School is being hosted May 11-12, 2024 at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
thank you!
Old 02-01-2024, 02:26 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

I will be at the IDE/IDS with the track team volunteering with the new drivers. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
The following 2 users liked this post by bcrdukes:
Cityfisher (02-01-2024), lowbee (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 03:07 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

I will be at the IDE/IDS with the track team volunteering with the new drivers. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
Cool, look forward to meeting you
The following users liked this post:
bcrdukes (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 11:35 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowbee
Need to shop for a mount for my 982 and a fire extinguisher, any updated recommendation and experience to share ?

Currently looking at this https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1192...ercaymanspyder and
this https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1206...uisher-bracket
those ones should work. they need to install metal to metal, and of course make sure they fit your car and have room for those large extinguishers.

If anyone needs I have a few of the mantis mounts extra and some extinguishers that go with them, which I can sell. I have ones for 944 and 911, not sure if they fit the boxsters, but the 911 ones look like the etsy one you pictured above.
Old 02-01-2024, 11:38 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=
also, turbodan, I had the e12 bolts in mine. Not Allen key.[/QUOTE]

ha ha, I just saw this. sorry for the misinformation. now that you mention it I recall they are not allen but e12s I hope it was not too much trouble, in changing out the sockets.
Old 02-15-2024, 01:50 PM
dk3what
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I just registered (pending approval) for this event, trying to swap call shifts with my colleagues to make it work!
Looking at the IDE welcome info, just have some practical questions about the info provided:

1. Confirming that Fire Extinguisher is not required for IDE. I was chatting about buying/installing OEM fire extinguisher for my 718 but was informed that it has been discontinued in Canada as of Nov 2023. So looking into other options for now and will check out the post above. Anyone selling theirs for 718 line?

2. Helmet - indicates you can rent at the track and notice is needed, how much notice is sufficient? I also want to look into buying one, any recommendations from where?

3. Hints that registering for multiple events will fast track your acceptance for the event. How necessary is this? My work is both flexible/inflexible - just need to swap with colleagues, but not always guaranteed that I can, so it makes it hard to sign up so far in advance. If I do register, can cancel it prior to the 2 weeks and I wont be charged? I do want to attend as many as I can (that's why I bought the car haha) but just don't want to make things tougher for the organizers logistically if I know I may have to cancel depending on work.

4. The numbers on the car - what do people use for this? Seems like such basic knowledge. Can I just use some kind of tape?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-15-2024, 01:52 PM
dk3what
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
those ones should work. they need to install metal to metal, and of course make sure they fit your car and have room for those large extinguishers.

If anyone needs I have a few of the mantis mounts extra and some extinguishers that go with them, which I can sell. I have ones for 944 and 911, not sure if they fit the boxsters, but the 911 ones look like the etsy one you pictured above.
How much are you selling for? I wonder if mantis can confirm if they will fit 718 Boxsters.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:15 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

I'll do my best to answer your questions, but someone with more recent knowledge can chime in.

1. My understanding is a fire extinguisher is not required for the IDE. You will need one once you complete IDE and decide to continue your DE journey with the group.

2. I'm not sure about helmet rental but I would say as much notice as possible will help so it can be set aside for you. If you decide to buy one before IDE, I assume you can cancel your rental. (Big assumption here.)

There are several places you can buy a helmet in the GTA. The ones I am familiar with are Braiden Motorsport in Markham (they have a store at the track as well) Ultraray Motorsports in Oakville, and Paragon Competition in Vaughan. I bought mine from Paragon Competition. I think most of the guys here will agree to go in person to test fit the helmet rather than go by online size guides. I nearly made a huge mistake ordering one online, only to find out in person it would not fit properly. Shop around and try different brands as not all helmets are created equally.

Edit: I forgot JRP being another place to get helmets in Mississauga!

3. Highly recommend you register for as many events you think you can attend. Worst case scenario is to cancel two weeks before the event to ensure you don't get charged. It sucks for the track team, but life happens. I've had to cancel once given a work-related matter.

4. Number on the car is for the track marshals, track team, and your instructor to identify you at the track. Reasons range from safety, emergencies, doing something you're not supposed to be doing etc. I'm sure more experienced guys can chime in on this. For my first few sessions, I used green painters tape. Bring a roll and be willing to share with your IDE classmates because it is also about the camaraderie. Some of it may come off as you are driving and may need to be re-applied.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by bcrdukes; 02-16-2024 at 07:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Pca ucr track day question