Notices

Dealer asking me to sign Right of First Refusal

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 05:32 AM
ibopm
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by tbuff
Lambo and Ferrari make you sign something similar.
Do they make you sign it AFTER the contract is being executed?
Old 11-03-2021, 05:33 AM
ibopm
Instructor

Originally Posted by UncleDude
two guys I know at Porsche Oakville had this happen, neither signed it
Good to know, thanks. I ain't signing it either.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:51 AM
992C4
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ibopm
Got an email from my SA asking me to sign a Right of First Refusal agreement for my incoming 992 C4S Cab. Basically it's asking me to:

1) Not sell/transfer/lease my vehicle to anyone within the first year.
2) If I am to sell/transfer/lease within the first TWO years, I need to provide notice to the dealer in which they have 72 hours to submit a same or better competing offer that I'd have to accept.

In "return", I will "most likely" get priority allocation for my next Porsche purchase. The SA is saying that this is something Porsche Canada is asking all the dealers in Canada to do due to the worldwide vehicle shortage and the need to protect their inventory.

This all smells incredibly fishy to me and I don't see why I'd need to sign any of this crap at all. And given the fact that I plan to transfer ownership of the vehicle to my dad upon delivery (as his retirement gift), I don't see any reason for me to sign this. Since it's a gift, I have no intention to flip my 992 and use it as speculation on the market. I'm not that desperate for money. What do you guys think?
I believe the whole point of this is to prevent you from flipping cars and make a profit. IF in any event that you need to sell your car in the first year, you can sell it back to the dealership, just not to anyone else. My friend had to sign too when he picked up his Targa 4S. I'd be interested to know if you still get to pick up the car if you don't sign it. Not much of a surprise for your dad if you don't got a car to surprise him with!
Old 11-03-2021, 11:13 AM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

unless they agree to pay you back the purchase price in the first year, then it is complete BS.
Could you imagine who badly they would screw you in that first year if you could only sell it or trade it back to them. Unless they are ready to commit to a firm price and not some BS around "value to be determined at the time" then I would tell them a strong no. Even if you have no plans to sell it in the first year, things can happen.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:25 AM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 319 Posts

At the end of the day, it's all in the fine print and as a lawyer, I'd like to actually see what they want someone to sign.

The agreement not to sell is an interesting one and as noted by Bud above, could run afoul of the Competition Act.
The RFR isn't something that I find as offensive, depending on the fine print. If you otherwise have an offer on your car that you are prepared to accept, you are just allowing the dealer to buy it on the same terms. The only issue with RFR's are that they tend to depress the marketability of an asset becuase a bona fide purchaser doesn't want to make an offer on your "asset" when they know someone could swoop in and but at the same price.

If you have am existing contract to buy a car and your dealership wants you to sign this paperwork as a condition to picking up your car, I would definitely tell them to screw off. This should only be something to negotiate when you are signing your contract to purchase the car, not after the fact.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:35 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

If you don't sign it or do sign it and then flip what can they do?
Legal ramifications or just put on the s##t list?
How would they even know if you flipped it?
Old 11-03-2021, 11:52 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 652 Posts

Have to sign something similar for 1 ton diesel denalis and corvettes. Must drive for 6 months and 12,000km. Not anything about selling it back to the dealer however.

the market is retarded in every sector nearly for flippers and wholesalers.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:01 PM
992C4
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
I just called my SA, and it's a big deal to the dealership NOW. Porsche Canada has made it clear that if the car gets exported in the first year, they will claw back the dealer profit for that particular car, and the dealership will also lose an allocation the subsequent years! All Porsche Canada has to do is run a check and they can see when the ownership change hands. So you can guarantee that you will be put on the s@#t list for sure! And Porsche Canada will send out the name of customers, and no Porsche dealers are to sell cars to you, and why would they?!
Old 11-03-2021, 12:05 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 507 Likes on 324 Posts

What's harder to get? Daytona, Birkin, G Wagon or a new Porsche?
Old 11-03-2021, 12:05 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 238 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
https://canada.autonews.com/retail/f...it-was-flipped
Old 11-03-2021, 01:52 PM
ibopm
Instructor

Originally Posted by moab
This should only be something to negotiate when you are signing your contract to purchase the car, not after the fact.
This is why I find it so offensive.

Originally Posted by 992C4
So you can guarantee that you will be put on the s@#t list for sure!
If so, what does this mean? I'll never get an allocation for a Porsche again? Talk about first world problems.
The following users liked this post:
reacp911 (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 02:17 PM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

We signed something similar when we bought our Macan. We were given the document on the delivery day, months after the order contract. We signed it because we weren't going to flip it or export it.

It can actually be worse than this: We were recently looking at a Land Rover Defender and we were told by a Toronto dealership that if we wanted to pay cash we would have to pay 15% over MSRP as a "deposit" and we would only get the money back 12 months later by showing them that we were still the registered owners of said Defender.
Old 11-03-2021, 02:47 PM
CanuckGT4
Burning Brakes

Received 267 Likes on 174 Posts

I picked up my vehicle end of August this year and nary a word about this kind of thing. This must be pretty new.
Old 11-03-2021, 02:49 PM
dannyss
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

My old BMW dealer was very aware of "clients" trying to buy and flip cars. One day I was talking to the owner when a young guys walks in. She immediately called the SA and repeated to him not to sell a car to the guy. She told me that BMW was up their *** about the subject. As 992C4 said, BMW would charge them back the profit they made on the sale. She didn't care what kind of profit they could make, they were not going to sell anything to him!
Old 11-03-2021, 03:03 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by ibopm
Yes, since day 1 my SA was aware that I plan to transfer the vehicle to my father.
if you take delivery and then transfer to your father, do you not have to pay tax again ?? or is that allowed without tax to a direct family member ? i know i gifted my car to my son, but didn't know it worked the other way around.
The following users liked this post:
ibopm (11-03-2021)

Quick Reply: Dealer asking me to sign Right of First Refusal