Notices

Dealer asking me to sign Right of First Refusal

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2023, 11:16 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 536 Posts

The one I was given and refused to sign said the same…they could buy it at my price - no mention of wholesale. The dealer didn’t put up much of a fight and took my deposit without the ROFR document.
Old 04-29-2023, 11:17 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Angryinch
Dealer sent this along with the invoice for my Turbo S. Never mentioned it before at all. The car is coming home from Euro Delivery already.

I might just send them a cheque and tell them no, see what they say. I’m not flipping the car, I have $30k in M engineering parts here to install. But it would have been nice to know about this earlier.

I’d have to read it more, but in the SAs email he said “wholesale” market value…. What’s wholesale value?? To me that is what these cars go for at the wholesaler auction… which is considerably less than used retail.

Interesting.
Wholesale would be black book or auction value. I would never agree to that!
Old 04-29-2023, 11:26 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Angryinch
Dealer sent this along with the invoice for my Turbo S. Never mentioned it before at all. The car is coming home from Euro Delivery already.

I might just send them a cheque and tell them no, see what they say. I’m not flipping the car, I have $30k in M engineering parts here to install. But it would have been nice to know about this earlier.

I’d have to read it more, but in the SAs email he said “wholesale” market value…. What’s wholesale value?? To me that is what these cars go for at the wholesaler auction… which is considerably less than used retail.

Interesting.
At delivery time? After ED? Wow.....timing sucks. Taints the experience.

What do you mean send them a cheque?

Don't agree to wholesale value terminology. Of course if you try to sell it to a dealer it'll be less than retail value as the dealer wants to make money on it.
Old 04-29-2023, 11:38 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by appzman
I haven't seen the agreement for a couple of years since picking up my Spyder, but felt it was pretty reasonable at the time. Basically if I was going to sell it to a 3rd party in the first 2 years, I'd give them a heads up and let them match at that same price. I have no plans to sell my Spyder, so I had no problem signing that.
I did it on one GT car. Actual agreement isn't so bad. The part I didn't appreciate was it came up when an allocation was ready to be assigned, 2 months after they had taken my trade. Never previously discussed. Just kills the customer experience and the timing was in favour of the dealer. Not like I could get my trade back, it sold within days of trading.
Old 04-29-2023, 11:54 AM
appzman
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
I did it on one GT car. Actual agreement isn't so bad. The part I didn't appreciate was it came up when an allocation was ready to be assigned, 2 months after they had taken my trade. Never previously discussed. Just kills the customer experience and the timing was in favour of the dealer. Not like I could get my trade back, it sold within days of trading.
Yup totally agreed it's a poor experience if done so late. My original purchase agreement included this: "A FIRST RIGHT OF REFUSAL AGREEMENT will also be required to sign at time of delivery "
Old 04-29-2023, 07:28 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I had to sign a paper that stated I could not export my 2023 BMW i4m50 to the states within the 1st 12 months of ownership. I signed it when I went in to buy the car. The waiting list in Canada is quite long. I was on a list for 14 months at my local dealership without allocation. The list in the US is also long, but I believe they get more cars. The MRSP is also lower after exchange for Cdn cars, so BMW makes more money on the US cars.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:14 PM
YYC991.2
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

I just got one of these sprung on me last minute with the final sales invoice after the vehicle arrived at the dealership. It is a bit different than some of the ones described upthread. Essentially, it is a 2 yr right of first refusal where they have the right to do so at its "market value" - whatever that means. If it was wholesale value or trade-in value, I would have pushed back a bit more. The one thing that I did push back on was that the dealership has 30 days to do so respond upon notification from the owner. I struck it and put 5 days and got a response back of "no changes allowed" from my sales advisor. I argued that the 30 days was outrageous and if there is an issue, his sales manager can contact me. I also mentioned that there numerous examples on Rennlist whereby customers had refused to sign outright. Less than 5 minutes later, I was informed that the change had been approved.
The following users liked this post:
Onami (05-15-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 06:21 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 319 Posts

It really is amzing what people will sign... You really should have just told them to f off. Or if you wanted to be polite, ask them where in the orginal bill of sale there is mention of a ROFR agreement?
Pags993 (05-15-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 06:51 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

^^^^^ what Moab said. I would have torn it up faster than Pelosi did the state of union speech. Stupid dealer manipulation games deserve equally outrageous responses. 30 days 😂 🤣

Last edited by Pags993; 05-15-2023 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-15-2023, 09:04 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 596 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by YYC991.2
I just got one of these sprung on me last minute with the final sales invoice after the vehicle arrived at the dealership. It is a bit different than some of the ones described upthread. Essentially, it is a 2 yr right of first refusal where they have the right to do so at its "market value" - whatever that means. If it was wholesale value or trade-in value, I would have pushed back a bit more. The one thing that I did push back on was that the dealership has 30 days to do so respond upon notification from the owner. I struck it and put 5 days and got a response back of "no changes allowed" from my sales advisor. I argued that the 30 days was outrageous and if there is an issue, his sales manager can contact me. I also mentioned that there numerous examples on Rennlist whereby customers had refused to sign outright. Less than 5 minutes later, I was informed that the change had been approved.
Interesting. I have already completed my paperwork/transaction and never had this presented.

But I have not taken delivery yet. Might be an interesting delivery day....

Old 05-15-2023, 09:11 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by repcapale
Interesting. I have already completed my paperwork/transaction and never had this presented.

But I have not taken delivery yet. Might be an interesting delivery day....
If presented please bring a red marker in advance and strike through every page before handing it back with a massive grin on ur face. Live out my dream! 😝
Old 05-16-2023, 02:18 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 652 Posts

I went in with the final cheque, they got me to sign some privacy paperwork and slide that right of 1st blah in again at the end. I declined signing it and pointed out that it says it's to be signed voluntarily. It also mentions to consult legal counsel. I mentioned my legal counsel instructed me not to sign and that this wasn't brought up at any point during the order process, etc.

I reassured them that I have no intention of flipping or selling the car regardless, so they have no concern there.
Old 05-16-2023, 11:11 AM
appzman
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone ever experienced a dealer exercising the right of first refusal? I wonder if this is just an "insurance policy" for dealer mgmt to prevent flagrant 3rd party flipping (similar to the old export prevention mechanisms), but not something actually impacting ordinary buyers at any meaningful scale

Last edited by appzman; 05-16-2023 at 11:12 AM.
mhenry84 (05-16-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 11:45 AM
mhenry84
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What exactly is the process when it's time for the RoFR? Curious if anyone has actually gone through it yet.
Does the dealer add themselves on as a separate lien holder? (separate from Porsche Finance if financing/leasing) so that when you go to sell that's when the RoFR process comes up? As they would have to sign off.
If their market price offer is still under what you're willing to sell for, what happens? Can you just decline the offer and move on to sell yourself?

Last edited by mhenry84; 05-16-2023 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2023, 12:02 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

How it was explained to me when I was asked to sign one was that if I had a private buyer for my car at say, $100,000, I had to give the dealer the chance to match that offer. If they declined, I was free to sell the car privately. I refused to sign and the dealer was OK with that beause I was a repeat customer. They told me that they were doing this specifically to stop flippers as they were getting heat from PCNA for cars being exported out of Canada.
mhenry84 (05-16-2023)

Quick Reply: Dealer asking me to sign Right of First Refusal