Notices

OT: Skiing in Ontario 2020/21

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 11:31 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,173 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
I haven't been this year, but I was worried about the corral for getting on the lifts.

I heard from my bro-in-law that Sunday afternoon was busy, and they only skiied an hour. They rented a room for overnight. They got the 5x7 pass, so I guess they bought a day ticket with their room for Sunday.
We left at 12:30 on Saturday. Typically I always avoid afternoons on weekends anyway. The lift lines on Saturday morning were very light, especially on the south side and at the Inn. For pairs, you can use the singles line now which helped a great deal when getting on at the village.

I really hope something changes. I know they already had a back pocket plan for requiring reservations, while not ideal that would be better than a full closure. I went into this season with my eyes wide open and in the end, my son had three great ski days with his dad. But it still stings a bit since we can no longer defer our Ikon passes to the next season, and I invested in all the gear for my son to start U12. At least the 5x7 passes for my wife and daughter are un-used at this point, so they can be deferred.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:18 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
We left at 12:30 on Saturday. Typically I always avoid afternoons on weekends anyway. The lift lines on Saturday morning were very light, especially on the south side and at the Inn. For pairs, you can use the singles line now which helped a great deal when getting on at the village.

I really hope something changes. I know they already had a back pocket plan for requiring reservations, while not ideal that would be better than a full closure. I went into this season with my eyes wide open and in the end, my son had three great ski days with his dad. But it still stings a bit since we can no longer defer our Ikon passes to the next season, and I invested in all the gear for my son to start U12. At least the 5x7 passes for my wife and daughter are un-used at this point, so they can be deferred.

At the beginning of this thread, I was reading the fine print on early bird buying the 5x7 ....If they open for 1 day during the season, I don't think you can get a refund on the 5x7 .... that's why i didn't buy......

edit: I was wrong... looks like you can get deferred for your wife/daughter.... https://www.bluemountain.ca/terms-an...son-pass-terms

Last edited by petee_c; 12-22-2020 at 01:25 AM.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:14 AM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 151 Posts

Total bull ****, ice rinks, and many others can remain open but not skiing. I agree they should shut down rentals and the lodges, but no reason why the hills can not operate.

Ice Rinks are closed. At least down here in NOTL, I think we were one of the latest to close.

Not surprised about the Amazon Warehouse either... I guess the must be "Essential" LOL
Old 12-22-2020, 12:01 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997turbocab
Ice Rinks are closed. At least down here in NOTL, I think we were one of the latest to close.

Not surprised about the Amazon Warehouse either... I guess the must be "Essential" LOL
It’s outdoor rinks that are open, my bad.

Either way shopping for groceries is still way more risky that spending a day on the slopes.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:10 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 304 Likes on 203 Posts

They certainly didn't take into account health/age risk either. Would guess skiers are more healthy than the general population frequenting Cosco's. Here's a nice touch at Tremblant particularly for those of us with 135's.......Heated spaces have also been installed in the parking lots on the South side (P2, P3 and P6) to allow you to put on your boots more comfortably. Day lodges will only be used as shelter for guests to warm up, with limited access time.

Last edited by ronnie993tt; 12-22-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:36 PM
petee_c
Drifting

It’s outdoor rinks that are open, my bad.

Either way shopping for groceries is still way more risky that spending a day on the slopes.
maybe, but eating is essential.... giving up a ski season? You'll be out next season; ... maybe i'll see you there....

The news says that the outdoor rinks are a SNAFU from a public health perspective, ..... well it's the public you're dealing with.... what did you expect?

looks like minor hockey will finally close for the 4 weeks... (which doesn't bother me one iotta)
Old 12-22-2020, 12:37 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Yep we were impressed with how Tremblant was set up as well.

This closure is only going to force many across the border into Quebec.

I know we will get the shaft on our Ikon passes since we have used them 3 times.

Sign the petition,http://chng.it/qRfGnjj2bm
Old 12-22-2020, 07:22 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

They are now allowing 5x7 deferrals if used between the 19th and today. But if you use tomorrow you will waive any rights to a deferral. Still not a peep on the Ikon passes.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:33 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by petee_c
maybe, but eating is essential.... giving up a ski season? You'll be out next season; ... maybe i'll see you there....

The news says that the outdoor rinks are a SNAFU from a public health perspective, ..... well it's the public you're dealing with.... what did you expect?

looks like minor hockey will finally close for the 4 weeks... (which doesn't bother me one iotta)
Hockey I get. But there is no contact skiing. Lol well most times there isn’t.

The hills already had aggressive plans in place for further restrictions, including a reservation system, all lodges closed and so on.

I’m just bummed for my son.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:37 AM
petee_c
Drifting

I’m just bummed for my son.
On the bright side, He'll appreciate it more next year....
Old 12-23-2020, 02:44 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Hockey I get. But there is no contact skiing. Lol well most times there isn’t.
They might be worried about spread from areas of high infection rates to areas of low infection rates... Most of the skiers at Blue on a weekend, probably aren't from Colliingwood....

re: Quebec, and their hills are staying open..... How are those numbers for COVID?

Hockey:For my son, Bubbles of 15-20 kids, with only 10 per icetime.... All the kids on my son's team go to the same high school. I volunteered to be the trainer back in August when there was the thought it might someday represent a normal season, but it has not, and running practices for 9 players and a goalie without contact, scrimmages, one on one's for the past month, it was getting pretty tough to keep them interested, or teach them new stuff... If I had a vote, I would have stopped it the moment we went to red in November....but hockey is powerful in this country.

Old 12-23-2020, 12:57 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

They are now allowing 5x7 deferrals if used between the 19th and today. But if you use tomorrow you will waive any rights to a deferral. Still not a peep on the Ikon passes.
We have the Tonik pass which are specific to Tremblant but "issued by" Ikon. If you don't use it it get's deferred and they gave us about a 20% discount on this year's Tonik pass because of the shortened season last year. They'll do something for Ikon holders without virgin passes.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:35 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
We have the Tonik pass which are specific to Tremblant but "issued by" Ikon. If you don't use it it get's deferred and they gave us about a 20% discount on this year's Tonik pass because of the shortened season last year. They'll do something for Ikon holders without virgin passes.
Ya I’m sure they will. I had chosen Blue as our home resort. But in the end if I can get out to Tremblant for at least a couple days in 2021I will be happy. The memories with my son are worth it even if we don’t get much of a discount for next year.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:26 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Last edited by ronnie993tt; 12-28-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-27-2020, 09:38 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Sure I understand the added hospital pressure from ski injuries, but they are a fixed numbers-ish. They happen every year. They knew there would be ski injuries. Clubs have spent 100’s of thousand of dollars on meeting Ontario covid requirements. My club has an app I have to fill in every day. Every badge has to be tapped into a building and out of a building. Masks 😷 must be worn inside and facial covering outside in line. Social distancing in every lift line. You can ride on the chair with family or bubble or you must ride as a single. Blue escarpment clubs have abided with all the government requirements. I apprehensively paid my full years dues. My kids both took coaching certification courses, to the tune of $1500 buck. My 15 year old got let go from the ski school do to lack of demand for lessons, and I was asked to pay for his years pass. Another 1200 bill.
As I’ve paid in full for my year, only having the hill open for six days sucks.
petee_c - “ giving up a ski season? You'll be out next season; ... ”

I can understand giving up a season, but if everyone has fully paid, that’s what bites.
Were are a crazy car sight, so let’s draw a similar image. Imagine leasing A nice new sports car for the summer, @15oo/month, and being told you can’t drive it for six months, but you still get to make payments on it. Too many cars on the road that shouldn’t be. But there is always next summer. Sure it’s safer, but you don’t need to like it.
Don’t think the ski hill is safely run with covid rules? Then choose not to go. Taking all my money, and closing everything after six days, sucks.
Ill be better when there is more snow and the snowmobile trails are open. They better not close that too. Big smoke is crabby 🦀

Toronto is doing a great job at social distancing. How did they have golfing all Sumer. Golf 🏌️‍♀️ club is closed, and it’s packed.
You can sit on an airplane with 300 strangers wearing masks shoulder to shoulder? But you can’t ride a chair lift by yourself.

Quick Reply: OT: Skiing in Ontario 2020/21