Notices

Here comes the photo radar...Merry Xmas.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 07:07 PM
tanner1974
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let me try this again, don't paste an image into the message!

Toronto's full of bad drivers and inattentive pedestrians.... people walking across an intersection with their face glued to their phone, not even half way through and the light's red, meanwhile somebody trying to make a left quickly as the light changed and barely seeing the pedestrian.... pedestrian flips the bird at the driver thinking they got the right away.... drivers glued to their phone while driving... it's happening all the time.

In Toronto the data on incidents involving pedestrians (or anything) is all available here:

http://data.torontopolice.on.ca/datasets/pedestrians

Here's all of the data up to 2018, including other type of injuries.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:50 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman
Pedestrian collisions involve any person that is not riding in a vehicle or on a bicycle 2005-2016 in Toronto:

You are technically right, which of course is the best kind of right, but it is hard to accept that we are killing 50% more people now than we were 15 years ago. Let's not get our panties in a knot over speeding in high risk zones. If they put photo radar on 400 series highways the discussion would be different.

Fatalities 1996-2015 Nationally:

Now, granted these are apples and oranges. The top is total fatalities, and the bottom is fatality per 10,000 motor vehicles registered. But you put them together and you have some indication that we aren't doing a great job inside the municipality of Toronto with preventing pedestrian deaths.
What is your definition of high risk area? Schools? Ok, I agree with that but outside of school hours, why is there a need to artificially lower the speed limit? It turns law abiding citizens into criminals. Photo radar will be on all the time, day and night.
Fatality rates are on the decline and have been for a very long time. Why is the public perception seems to be that a vehicle is at fault when a pedestrian or cyclist gets hit or dies? Most of the times it isn't. How about enforcing the law and ticketing pedestrians too. The police doesn't want to bother with it and then we end up with jaywalkers getting killed because they choose to bake the law. The Vision Zero that TO and the rest of the municipalities are trying to implement is not possible when pedestrians/cyclist are allowed to whatever they feel like doing.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:44 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 214 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Why is the public perception seems to be that a vehicle is at fault when a pedestrian or cyclist gets hit or dies? Most of the times it isn't.
I am not sure where you get this from. I work in the insurance industry and can tell you that this isn't true. When I worked for the MTO it wasn't true.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:18 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman
I am not sure where you get this from. I work in the insurance industry and can tell you that this isn't true. When I worked for the MTO it wasn't true.
That is main argument and the reason the super low speed limits are going in. The blame is on the cars not the pedestrians that do whatever they feel like.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:49 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 154 Posts

I think photo radar and red light cameras have their place, but unfortunately that type of enforcement has displaced other more worthy forms of enforcement.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:35 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

I learned this week that Calgary has photo radar.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:46 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by JimV8
I learned this week that Calgary has photo radar.
we have had Photo Radar back home in Kuwait and Dubai for over 20 years now

last time i was in Dubai in 2018 i accumulated $600+ in fines in one evening my first day there, got a text on my phone with the fines
I didnt even know it was me getting flashed lol i was driving i like i was in Toronto looool

Old 09-13-2019, 11:02 PM
9 lives
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
we have had Photo Radar back home in Kuwait and Dubai for over 20 years now

last time i was in Dubai in 2018 i accumulated $600+ in fines in one evening my first day there, got a text on my phone with the fines
Guess if you were getting your tickets sent to your phone, you don't have to worry about handing your phone over to anyone to show them your insurance

Quick Reply: Here comes the photo radar...Merry Xmas.