Notices

Here comes the photo radar...Merry Xmas.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 11:47 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 138 Posts

They had to put speed bumps on my street to prevent people from bombing through at 60.

"There has been a huge drop in the number of kids who walk or bike to school regularly. According to Active Healthy Kids Canada, 58 per cent of parents walked to school when they were young, only 28 per cent of their children do today. Also, recent survey by Parachute Canada found that the majority of parents (75%) prevent their kids from walking or cycling to school due to fears over speeding cars and traffic."

https://ca.care.com/articles/childre...-school-alone/

So, yeah, I am good with speed cameras in school zones, and zero tolerance. If getting caught speeding in a school zone would bother you, STOP DRIVING IN THEM. If I had my way, I would ban cars within 200m of schools, and the majority of the core (Front-->Queen, Yonge-->university).

Of course, I would also make it much more difficult to get a driver's licence. I would also raise the speed limit on 400 series highways to 130Km/h. If I could, I would put a minimum speed you can walk on the sidewalk.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:52 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman
They had to put speed bumps on my street to prevent people from bombing through at 60.

"There has been a huge drop in the number of kids who walk or bike to school regularly. According to Active Healthy Kids Canada, 58 per cent of parents walked to school when they were young, only 28 per cent of their children do today. Also, recent survey by Parachute Canada found that the majority of parents (75%) prevent their kids from walking or cycling to school due to fears over speeding cars and traffic."

https://ca.care.com/articles/childre...-school-alone/

So, yeah, I am good with speed cameras in school zones, and zero tolerance. If getting caught speeding in a school zone would bother you, STOP DRIVING IN THEM. If I had my way, I would ban cars within 200m of schools, and the majority of the core (Front-->Queen, Yonge-->university).

Of course, I would also make it much more difficult to get a driver's licence. I would also raise the speed limit on 400 series highways to 130Km/h. If I could, I would put a minimum speed you can walk on the sidewalk.
You really think people are speeding more now than then? All this fear from the parents is nothing more than a perception. If anything, cars stop faster now days than back then and have more pedestrian friendly front ends. The social media is what creating the perception that now is more dangerous than back in the old days.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:53 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 214 Posts

I try to limit the amount of time I spend driving on the side walk so .....
Old 08-29-2019, 11:56 AM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

*THEORETICALLY* I have no issue with this in school zones. But if speed cameras are allowed here, it's only a matter of time until they get put on major roads and highways. And that is not cool.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:32 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
You think you are a traffic engineering expert and think artificially lowering the speed limits works. Or using kids/dogs and an excuse for it. I do this for a living, it doesn't work. You and your neighbors will be the ones getting those tickets and then the bitchn' will start to remove them. What is your dog or kid doing in the middle of the road? The road is for vehicles not for kids and dogs to run around. That's what parks and back yards are for. Are you sure there is even a speeding problem on your street or you think there is?
Calm down.......Why so aggressive? I guess you don't have kids or a dog......they don't always do as they are told. I won't be getting any of those tickets. Whats wrong with following posted limits?
Old 08-29-2019, 02:52 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by 911boy
Calm down.......Why so aggressive? I guess you don't have kids or a dog......they don't always do as they are told. I won't be getting any of those tickets. Whats wrong with following posted limits?
Easy to say, calm down but I deal with this kinds of crap all the time. The entitlement of the public is getting worse every year. They all think they know what is the best solution when they actually have no clue. I have kids, no dog. If the kids are playing upfront and they are too young to be aware of their surroundings then that's where the parents need to step it. If you allow your kid to play up front, it is your responsibility to watch after them. Trying to shift the responsibility to the public or the municipality is not right.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:34 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Easy to say, calm down but I deal with this kinds of crap all the time. The entitlement of the public is getting worse every year. They all think they know what is the best solution when they actually have no clue. I have kids, no dog. If the kids are playing upfront and they are too young to be aware of their surroundings then that's where the parents need to step it. If you allow your kid to play up front, it is your responsibility to watch after them. Trying to shift the responsibility to the public or the municipality is not right.
Well said!
Old 08-31-2019, 01:01 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

+911
Old 09-02-2019, 11:25 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 406 Likes on 285 Posts

What are your kids doing in the middle of the street?

School zones / cross walks I get that but parents nowadays have their heads up their asses ...Parents think roads are play areas . You can't put one of those stupid little plastic slow down kids playing signs in the middle of the road and give every car that drives by the dirty look.

ROADS are for Cars not KIDS !! . In my neighborhood i see 4yr olds running around barefooted in the streets with no adult in sight or a nanny a hundred feet away. Everyone now thinks they are entitled to using the roads for kid play / hockey / basketball / bike riding / ebikes / rollerblading / jogging / motorized skateboards and all other conceivable activities. It's totally out of control ...

Red light cams will solve nothing except another revenue source just like those useless flashing slowdown speed limit signs everywhere what a John Tory waste of money.... It's war on the car and with cars being forced to coexist with everyone else with rights to road usage and with it unfortunately accidents will continue to increase regardless of attempts to resolve.

Everyone has right of way on the roads with cars being last but cars will always have right of weight !!
Old 09-12-2019, 11:57 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

In a perfect world kids and dogs stay off of roads and don't run out between parked cars. Its not a perfect world. Called " accidents" for a reason. I'm sure we will all know where the cameras are and I'm sure we won't be getting tickets for 2km over. Everyones speedo reads about 3 fast as well.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:31 PM
leaf345
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Odd timing

Ontario has the safest roads in the country, and our roads are safer than they've ever been (it's a fact - look up statscan data) ...but that won't stop the nanny state from inventing a "crisis" to control our lives a little more and skim a little extra from our pocket book.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:10 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

In a perfect world kids and dogs stay off of roads and don't run out between parked cars. Its not a perfect world. Called " accidents" for a reason. I'm sure we will all know where the cameras are and I'm sure we won't be getting tickets for 2km over. Everyones speedo reads about 3 fast as well.
Dogs!?!?! Now we need to drop the speed limit because Fluffy might be stupid enough to run into traffic? This war on cars is just getting out of hand.

Last edited by Imo000; 09-12-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:34 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

^WOW.....ok you're right about everything...........unbelievable. Out.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:03 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

^WOW.....ok you're right about everything...........unbelievable. Out.

Not everything but I know more about traffic than the average person. I have to since I do this for a living.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:41 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 138 Posts

Not everything but I know more about traffic than the average person. I have to since I do this for a living.
Pedestrian collisions involve any person that is not riding in a vehicle or on a bicycle 2005-2016 in Toronto:

You are technically right, which of course is the best kind of right, but it is hard to accept that we are killing 50% more people now than we were 15 years ago. Let's not get our panties in a knot over speeding in high risk zones. If they put photo radar on 400 series highways the discussion would be different.

Fatalities 1996-2015 Nationally:

Now, granted these are apples and oranges. The top is total fatalities, and the bottom is fatality per 10,000 motor vehicles registered. But you put them together and you have some indication that we aren't doing a great job inside the municipality of Toronto with preventing pedestrian deaths.

Quick Reply: Here comes the photo radar...Merry Xmas.