Notices

[THE REFINERY] Have a car detailing question? Ask The Refinery.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 11:05 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Paolo1
Thank you, I will give it a try. How does it compare to Lexol Vinylex ? Also, any ideas on where I can purchase Wurth Citrus Solvent Degreaser that does not require me to buy $90 worth (3 bottles)? Many thanks
I have used Vinylex but it was many years ago. I'm not sure I could give an accurate comparison today. I seem to recall Vinylex feeling quite slippery/greasy?

I'm not sure where to get the Wurth product in small quantities - but maybe I could recommend an alternative? What is the intended use? A solvent based degreaser is pretty strong stuff for a standard car detailing application...

THE REFINERY
Paint Correction | Ceramic Coatings | Paint Protection Film | Detailing Products
6 Carlaw Avenue
Toronto, Canada.

www.therefinery.ltd

+1.416.848.2868
info@therefinery.ltd
Follow us on: Instagram / Facebook / Twitter
THE REFINERY's YouTube Channel

Old 10-09-2019, 05:28 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Thank you. My intended use for the Wurth Citrus Solvent Degreaser may go beyond detailing per se. I want to debunk the door hinges and latches before lubricating. John Paterek on the PCA site seems to indicate there no comparable to the product.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:00 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paolo1
Thank you. My intended use for the Wurth Citrus Solvent Degreaser may go beyond detailing per se. I want to debunk the door hinges and latches before lubricating. John Paterek on the PCA site seems to indicate there no comparable to the product.
Most solvent or petro-chem products (WD-40) would definitely work on door grease, but there are other less noxious products that work well for that purpose too. We find the Gyeon Tar works very well at removing grease, tar and rubber from painted surfaces. And it's readily available from our shop or website.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:24 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 133 Posts

Hope this hasn't been asked yet...it's about "black" wax.

I have a black car (new to me) with newly applied matte black vinyl stripes. Wanting to avoid wax accumulating at the edge between the vinyl stripe and the paint surface as it can form a white line and I imagine will especially show on a black car. I know to never wipe in a direction from the paint surface towards the stripe to avoid this kind of build up, but was also wondering about the black waxes you see on the market and if the are good for black cars?

Is "black wax" something that would help to avoid/hide this edge build up?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2019, 12:42 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by vetfever
Hope this hasn't been asked yet...it's about "black" wax.

I have a black car (new to me) with newly applied matte black vinyl stripes. Wanting to avoid wax accumulating at the edge between the vinyl stripe and the paint surface as it can form a white line and I imagine will especially show on a black car. I know to never wipe in a direction from the paint surface towards the stripe to avoid this kind of build up, but was also wondering about the black waxes you see on the market and if the are good for black cars?

Is "black wax" something that would help to avoid/hide this edge build up?

Thanks
Hi - thanks for the question!

The color of the wax is not really the issue - it's the residue left behind after waxing. Even if you do rub towards the seam of your vinyl or PPF, it's still possible to remove that wax residue along the edge using a good quality microfiber towel and carefully rubbing parallel to the seam. But if you leave excess wax material there to dry, it often turns white and chalky. Then it's quite challenging to remove.

If you're finding it difficult to remove your wax from those edges, try a synthetic sealant that doesn't dry to a chalky haze. We like CarPro RELOAD and SONAX Polymer Net Shield. They go on as a liquid rather than as a paste, so they don't leave a thick residue behind and won't build up along seams and edges. Just wipe the sealant on the panel using a microfiber sponge, and wipe off using a microfiber cloth.

Both sealants are available from our online store at www.therefinery.ltd as are some high quality microfiber towels. Hope that helps!
Old 10-17-2019, 04:26 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 133 Posts

Thank You !
Old 01-23-2020, 11:14 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

For those into DIY detailing, we shot a couple of vids about our Car Wash Essentials kit and a broader topic about more specialized products available to buy at www.therefinery.ltd (or in person).

Give us a shout if you're looking for any products or advice for your arsenal at home. We're happy to offer advice and recommendations to help improve your results or to get things done more efficiently. Give us a shout!

The following users liked this post:
991.2 GTS (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 11:16 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

THE REFINERY's Premium Detailing Products & Advice:

Please click "subscribe" and/or "like" on any vids you like! Thanks!
Old 01-25-2020, 07:00 AM
Greg981
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I've been using Zaino products for over 10 years. What's your opinion on their products? Is there something better I could use?
Old 01-25-2020, 10:14 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 108 Posts

What about cleaning yellow PCCB calipers? I thought the dust would easily wipe off but the inside area where the pads sit is really stubborn and won't come clean!
Old 01-27-2020, 11:39 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Greg981
I've been using Zaino products for over 10 years. What's your opinion on their products? Is there something better I could use?
Hi Greg - Zaino makes some nice cleaning products, and you should be able to get some good results at home with them.

While we're not "brand ambassadors" for any one manufacturer, we've really gravitated towards the Gyeon brand for our cleaning and prep products. They've been performing extremely well, and they're engineered to be extremely compatible with all coatings and sealants. Most products are pH neutral, and don't have noxious chemicals or odors.

If you have some specific projects or needs to share, I could make a couple of reco's to try? The Gyeon BATHE soap is great, as is the GLASS cleaner, QUICK DETAILER, LEATHER cleaning kit, and others...
Old 01-27-2020, 11:52 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
What about cleaning yellow PCCB calipers? I thought the dust would easily wipe off but the inside area where the pads sit is really stubborn and won't come clean!
To get the calipers clean, use a detailing brush for agitation with a good all-purpose cleaner like P21S Total Auto Wash and/or an iron dissolving chemical like Gyeon IRON. If the stains look more like grease or oil based marks, Gyeon TAR would be better to remove that using a few squirts on a MF towel.

Once the calipers are clean, applying a ceramic coating to the caliper is the best way of making the paint repellent and easy to clean going forward. You wouldn't need more than soap or all-purpose cleaner to keep them pristine.

Or - bring it by THE REFINERY, and we can cycle through any of these products to see what is working best.

thanks for the question!
Old 01-27-2020, 03:17 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by THE REFINERY
To get the calipers clean, use a detailing brush for agitation with a good all-purpose cleaner like P21S Total Auto Wash and/or an iron dissolving chemical like Gyeon IRON. If the stains look more like grease or oil based marks, Gyeon TAR would be better to remove that using a few squirts on a MF towel.

Once the calipers are clean, applying a ceramic coating to the caliper is the best way of making the paint repellent and easy to clean going forward. You wouldn't need more than soap or all-purpose cleaner to keep them pristine.

Or - bring it by THE REFINERY, and we can cycle through any of these products to see what is working best.

thanks for the question!
Great thanks! Any recommendation on brush?

I would bring it in but I'm in Ottawa!!
Old 01-27-2020, 04:34 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Great thanks! Any recommendation on brush?

I would bring it in but I'm in Ottawa!!
We've got some inexpensive detailing brushes that are perfect for this, as well as cleaning in other tight spots (wheel crevices, engine bays, door jambs etc). I'll add them to our product catalog tomorrow
Old 01-29-2020, 11:53 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by THE REFINERY
We've got some inexpensive detailing brushes that are perfect for this, as well as cleaning in other tight spots (wheel crevices, engine bays, door jambs etc). I'll add them to our product catalog tomorrow
Great, thanks!

Quick Reply: [THE REFINERY] Have a car detailing question? Ask The Refinery.