Notices

Speeding Ticket Toronto Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 03:25 PM
Roberto T
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Speeding Ticket Toronto Help

Unfortunately I got a speeding ticket while driving on Lakeshore. It is my first ticket in 6 years. I am not concerned about the fine or the points but more about my insurance rate. Anyone have any recommendations? Anyone try X Copper or any of the other paralegals?

Thanks!

Roberto
Old 04-16-2018, 03:30 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

How far over the limit is the ticket for?
Old 04-16-2018, 03:40 PM
Roberto T
Rennlist Member

It was for 104 in a 60 zone. Lakeshore was very busy and not quite sure how he was able to assure he was capturing my speed and not those around me. He was at an intersection stopped around 300 yards after a turn. I was turning left at his intersection so he would have had to clock me far away from his location. He did not decrease the speed/fine for the ticket.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:07 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Hey Mike, get the tractor out so we can pull out the crusher !
Old 04-16-2018, 06:01 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 976 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Roberto T
It was for 104 in a 60 zone. Lakeshore was very busy and not quite sure how he was able to assure he was capturing my speed and not those around me. He was at an intersection stopped around 300 yards after a turn. I was turning left at his intersection so he would have had to clock me far away from his location. He did not decrease the speed/fine for the ticket.
Get a good lawyer, not xcopper.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:37 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

My understanding is that if you're worried about insurance, you need the ticket DISMISSED entirely - not reduced in charge, fine or points. Xcopper ain't gonna get your ticket dismissed...

Your insurance company knows only two things; minor conviction (1 km/h to 49 km/hr over the limit) and major conviction (50km/h+). Doesn't matter if you were doing 1km/h over or 49km/h over, your insurance company rates it exactly the same way.

Ultimately what I am getting at is if you're going to speed, might as well rip around 40-49km/h over the posted limit. You indeed got great bang for your buck on this one!
Old 04-16-2018, 07:49 PM
teal986
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd recommend Forch Larosa at Redline Legal.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:24 PM
Roberto T
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cstyles
My understanding is that if you're worried about insurance, you need the ticket DISMISSED entirely - not reduced in charge, fine or points. Xcopper ain't gonna get your ticket dismissed...

Your insurance company knows only two things; minor conviction (1 km/h to 49 km/hr over the limit) and major conviction (50km/h+). Doesn't matter if you were doing 1km/h over or 49km/h over, your insurance company rates it exactly the same way.

Ultimately what I am getting at is if you're going to speed, might as well rip around 40-49km/h over the posted limit. You indeed got great bang for your buck on this one!

Great to know! I was thinking 44 over would not be considered a minor conviction.

Around 2011 I had 2 speeding tickets, illegal left turn and 2 fail to have insurance proof. I had insurance but never put the updated pink slip in my car. I figured the insurance proof tickets were no points and $50 so I always just payed them. Well it turned out that I was considered to have 5 tickets. I was paying $1000 per month insurance on an A5....

If I get a lawyer rather than a paralegal I don't think it would be cost effective. I have two 911s insured and the my rate increases I suspect would still be less than hiring a lawyer given I have a clean driving record.
Teal986 I will check out Redline Legal. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-16-2018, 08:35 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

With 5 previous tickets, I don't think your biggest risk is your insurance rate increasing further. It's your insurance company dropping you. Trying to get insurance after you've been dropped is very hard, VERY expensive. Might want to at least consult a lawyer to get good answers.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:40 PM
Roberto T
Rennlist Member

Just to be clear, the 5 tickets was in 2011. I have not had a single ticket since so my driving record is now clean.

Having those tickets made me realize just how much tickets can impact your insurance.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:44 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Ahhhh, gotcha! I didn't put that part together. Good luck whatever you do.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:28 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I had the same ticket on Lakeshore, 12 years ago, 109 in a 60. I hired a company called H.E.L.P. helplegal.ca. The guy I dealt with was named Jack Sturch. We went to court and I plead not guilty. The case was put over another 6 months. Long story short the case was dismissed. Best $350 I ever spent.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:32 PM
Roberto T
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian 162
I had the same ticket on Lakeshore, 12 years ago, 109 in a 60. I hired a company called H.E.L.P. helplegal.ca. The guy I dealt with was named Jack Sturch. We went to court and I plead not guilty. The case was put over another 6 months. Long story short the case was dismissed. Best $350 I ever spent.
Thanks Brian! Great to hear. I will check out HELP and Redline. I'll let you guys know im guessing in 6 months to a year.

Roberto
Old 04-16-2018, 11:55 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Roberto T
Great to know! I was thinking 44 over would not be considered a minor conviction.

Around 2011 I had 2 speeding tickets, illegal left turn and 2 fail to have insurance proof. I had insurance but never put the updated pink slip in my car. I figured the insurance proof tickets were no points and $50 so I always just payed them. Well it turned out that I was considered to have 5 tickets. I was paying $1000 per month insurance on an A5....

If I get a lawyer rather than a paralegal I don't think it would be cost effective. I have two 911s insured and the my rate increases I suspect would still be less than hiring a lawyer given I have a clean driving record.
Teal986 I will check out Redline Legal. Thanks for the heads up!
ok , really, 2 fail to have insurance proof......your are an idiot......stupid is as stupid does......guess you cant learn a lesson......you should not be driving. If you had insurance you can easily get those reversed. Not feeling sorry for you , you deserve what you get . Im tired of this, you would think if you are smart enough to own a 911 you know you are a target. Why dont you just drive without a sticker nor a plate for that matter. Is it really the first time you have been speeding in 6 years or did you finally get caught again? Probabaly didnt reduce it as of all the priors. Ya it sucks but I would be pissed if someone hit me and they didnt have insurance proof and I would nail them too!
Old 04-17-2018, 12:48 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Some (most?) insurance companies will overlook one ticket. Usually the rule is 2 tickets within 3 years - hit that and your rates increase, stay under and they don't. I remember going to court years ago simply to ask for an adjournment because the date of offence was within a couple months of an old ticket falling off my record. I got the adjournment which was something like 4 months, the old ticket dropped off my record, and I plead guilty to the new one and paid. You can always just call your insurance company and ask. You don't have to tell them you actually got a ticket - they can't see that until you're convicted (which you haven't been yet, if you haven't paid the fine yet and the due date hasn't passed), just tell them you want to make sure you understand your policy.

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket Toronto Help