Hello, Calgary!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 05:30 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Hello, Calgary!

Anyone there? Looking for guidance/advice for a road trip.

Been laid up these past three months after ankle fusion surgery. We had planned a trip to Italy this year, but have decided that there is too much uncertainty about my mobility, that is, how much walking I'll be able to do by September.

So, next on our bucket list is Calgary/Banff/Lake Louise and the Rockies. Just starting the planning, but, generally, fly into Calgary, drive over to the western side of the mountains, travel north, come back over to the eastern side, and be in Lake Louise for our anniversary September 30.

Right now, clean slate. Any and all suggestions/recommendations welcome.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:04 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Traveled to Banff/Lake Louise 10 years ago for a brief business trip, took Joanie along as it was right around our anniversary. Same time as you are going.
On our day off we drove north from Banff to the Columbia snow fields where - get this - there was snow. In late September!
So much snow coming down we couldn't see the fields from the car. So we bought a picture book.
You will have a great time but be sure you rent a car with decent snow capability.
We enjoyed especially the short hikes to viewing spots of the glacial lakes. Easy hikes so I hope ok with your ankle.
Lunch at the Fairmount on Lake Louise was special. Helped having the Fairmont Presidents Club membership ('yes sir, Mr. Betterley, right this way') to park and get a nice table.
Have fun - a special part of the world.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:44 AM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

See the following site for a description of the scenic Banff -> Jasper drive in fall/winter.

https://www.coordinatesofher.com/coo...17/ohhh-canada

Rent an AWD SUV or car to help if it snows and roads are slick.

Maybe wait a year as next mid-September the fall PCA Treffen 2018 is in Banff (assisted by PCA Wild Rose Association who is already planning the event drives).

Last edited by Dodaleca; 07-25-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:55 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

Many thanks. Treffen sounds like a great idea!
Old 07-27-2017, 05:12 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Bow Valley Parkway Highway 1A between the town of Banff and Lake Louise is an awesome drive. Best to do it during off hours though to avoid as much traffic as possible. Of course you do need to watch out for the wild life when driving in the off hours as who knows who could be camped in the middle of the road when you come around a blind corner. This is why a race track will always be better. Nevertheless, it is one of the better drives in the area.

Here is sped up kind of time lapse video from Lake Louise to Banff of someone driving the 1A (not my video), but still good to show you what the drive is like.

Another couple of nice drives if you don't want to venture up into Jasper (which is a nice scenic drive as well) is the Kananaskis Highway 40.

or Highway 66 just outside of Bragg Creek.

and then finally there is the Crowsnest Pass in the southwest corner of the Province heading into BC on Highway 3.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:57 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Radium Hot Springs
Banff Hot Springs
Lake Louise walk around the lake
Lake Louise ride the gondola up to the top
Fairmont Banff Springs - Bow Falls
Banff Glacier Skywalk
Columbia Ice Fields - Monster Bus tour
Athabasca Falls
Banff Trail Riders
Banff Sunshine Village
Calgary - OEB
Calgary - The Guild
Calgary - Una Pizza
Calgary - Village Ice Cream
Calgary - Anejo Restaurant
Old 07-27-2017, 06:19 PM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

A lot of these great ideas are already under consideration and evaluation as a "hosted" Treffen Fall 2018 (September 12-16,2018) drive or a suggestion for the Navigators Day off for those who want to do a trip on their own.

However you choose to do the drive and regardless of when the scenery is fantastic!

Last edited by Dodaleca; 07-27-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:53 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just saw this one. September is generally a good month, summer crowds are down, and the weather is usally good. But this is higher altitude western Canada stuff, and we can indeed get snow in every month of the year. But in all reality the chances are slim, even in September. The Parkway up from Banff to Lake Louise and on up into to Jasper is a must drive. You can then drive west off into BC and do a loop back down and into Lake Louise. Calgary is a vibrant young City, but it still just a city, my advice is spend as much time as possible out in the Foothills and Mountains. It is Canada's 150th birthday this year so all our National Parks have free admittance for the entire year, a nice little bonus. In Lake Louise stay at either the Chateau Lake Louise, or the Post Hotel. The Chateau is European Castle like, go for the Club Floor, with a Lake Side View. The Post Hotel is much smaller but is a super Hotel/Spa, with top notch dining. Can't go wrong with either for a special occasion. In Banff the Banff Springs is very much like the Chateau in Lake Louise, its on a river, not a lake. In Jasper go with the Jasper Park Lodge, it is also a 4/5 Star joint, that will not disappoint.

I live west of Calgary, about 5 minutes minutes off the highway to Banff. PM me if you wish and I will give you my personal contact info. If I am in the area and you need any support I could perhaps help.

Have Fun!

Quick Reply: Hello, Calgary!