Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 10:53 PM
Audidude
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by shiraz
. The new V6-powered Volkswagen Amarok starts at $73,990 and tops out at another $10k...stuff.co.nz
today.
Don't know how capable they are off piste, but look like a nice thing to have.
As long as it's as capable as the 2 Litre twin turbo it'll be fantastic off-piste - always reviewed at the top of the pack.

I've got a 2 litre AWD Auto - brilliant road car too - drives the best of the Utes - the V6 can only be better, with all that extra torque.

I laugh when people (especially Ranger and HiLux fans) turn their noses up at it 'only" having a 2L - I tow a race car with the ute fully loaded for the racetrack - never found it lacking.

Last edited by Audidude; 07-28-2017 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-28-2017, 11:40 PM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Audidude
+1 from NZ
Live within 10mins of Steve's workshop in Pirongia - he's already been busy on my '03 996 C2 manual acquired about 8 weeks ago, 64,000kms when bought, now 66,000...

The only problem is I can't stop driving it, especially now with. the H&R blue lowering springs and Bilstein B8s!. (Pic is before suspension work)
Welcome! I was admiring your car yesterday -- very tidy, stunning in black and the lights and wheels set it off perfectly. Probably the nicest 996 I've seen I think.

Steve said you had quite an interesting garage...
Old 07-29-2017, 02:55 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Saw your car today Dave, looking peachy. I assume the brake problem got fixed?
Yeah, picking it up tomorrow. The brake problem was the the undertray grounding and bashing the brake union undone, so an improved ride height and I have some higher profile tyres (the roadies). Not sure how I am going to get to the NITT with the low pro track tyres again though.
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2017, 03:41 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

+1 from NZ
Live within 10mins of Steve's workshop in Pirongia - he's already been busy on my '03 996 C2 manual acquired about 8 weeks ago, 64,000kms when bought, now 66,000...

The only problem is I can't stop driving it, especially now with. the H&R blue lowering springs and Bilstein B8s!. (Pic is before suspension work)
Great looking car. Interested to know how the B8's improved the car, have been considering for my Turbo.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:16 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Yeah, picking it up tomorrow. The brake problem was the the undertray grounding and bashing the brake union undone, so an improved ride height and I have some higher profile tyres (the roadies). Not sure how I am going to get to the NITT with the low pro track tyres again though.
Just take your roadies on the NITT. We're all travelling 7/10ths in the luftgekuhlt group.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:59 AM
Audidude
Racer

Originally Posted by nzskater
Great looking car. Interested to know how the B8's improved the car, have been considering for my Turbo.
Thanks.
Can't comment on any improvement over the OEM turbo setup, but in my C2:

Minimal roll, corners are taken with a much flatter attitude.
Superb damping. Hitting dips at speed there is no bobble or float which the standard setup tends to do.
Turn in is definitely quicker and more accurate.
The car feels much better tied to the road.
The ride is definitely firmer but by no means hard or harsh like my Megane III 265 RS.

The improvement has far exceeded my expectation.

In my application if you use the factory springs the B6 is the shock to use. The B8 is shorter and designed to work with lowered springs.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:10 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Just take your roadies on the NITT. We're all travelling 7/10ths in the luftgekuhlt group.
Yeah, do we have a support truck this year?
Old 07-29-2017, 02:57 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Yeah, do we have a support truck this year?
Not sure. The racers may take something on their trailers if asked nicely. I will treat the weekend like a fast road trip so don't expect to need any support.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:57 PM
Audidude
Racer

Thanks.
Can't comment on any improvement over the OEM turbo setup, but in my C2:

Hope that helps.
PS:
If your car is being used for lots of track work, you may be better advised to get coilovers with adjustable shocks, especially if going to different tracks. Hampton and Pukekohe require very different setups.

My 911 is not a track beast, as I compete in another series and get my track thrills there. Anything less than door to door racing holds little appeal on the track!

But as a road car the 911 with the current setup is sublime - especially on little known/used Waikato roads!

The reality is that in a road car once you have a setup that you love, it's less likely that you'll want/need to make adjustments.

If you're in Hamilton any time you're welcome to come and check out the B8s

Cheers
Old 07-29-2017, 05:05 PM
Audidude
Racer

Originally Posted by Obsessed

Steve said you had quite an interesting garage...
Depends what your interests are - there's a hint in my avatar.

I don't carry a purists approach to one particular brand. I really enjoy the different flavours of performance cars - Honda, Renault, Audi, Porsche and BMW (my E39 M5 is for sale at present - a space "issue"!)

And VW for utility "purposes"
Old 07-30-2017, 06:57 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Not sure. The racers may take something on their trailers if asked nicely. I will treat the weekend like a fast road trip so don't expect to need any support.
My roadies are 65 profile and running tubes, (old Fuchs valve stem hole not compatible with modern valve stems) so not track suitable. I have a set of cookies with 60's which might do, otherwise I'll jack it up an inch for the road legs and run the 50's Direzza's or R888's.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Depends what your interests are - there's a hint in my avatar.

I don't carry a purists approach to one particular brand. I really enjoy the different flavours of performance cars - Honda, Renault, Audi, Porsche and BMW (my E39 M5 is for sale at present - a space "issue"!)

And VW for utility "purposes"
Welcome to the board! Great looking/spec 996 C2 you have there. The B8 will be all you need on the road. Only performance enhancement I can recommend for that car now is when those P-Zero need replacing look for a better replacement, maybe a Michelin SuperSport. It will enhance your enjoyment even further Im predicting...

The e39 M5 is a great car. I owned one twice (same car, sold it bought it back, long story!). Good luck with the sale...
Old 08-02-2017, 12:58 AM
sammaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Audidude, great looking car. I toyed with the suspension upgrade you did, but having a cab didn't want it too firm so replaced all for OEM. Best upgrade I did was the Short shift kit from function first and the Scart exhaust.

second what Macca said, I found the Michelin pilot sport 2 to be far better than the pzeros, the supersports I imagine are even better.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:22 AM
Audidude
Racer

Originally Posted by sammaw
Audidude, great looking car. I toyed with the suspension upgrade you did, but having a cab didn't want it too firm so replaced all for OEM. Best upgrade I did was the Short shift kit from function first and the Scart exhaust.

second what Macca said, I found the Michelin pilot sport 2 to be far better than the pzeros, the supersports I imagine are even better.
Thanks.

I was quite concerned that the suspension change would be too firm, as my partner (who loves the Porsche) has commented several times how nicely it rides (compared to my Megane 265 RS! - but most things ride better than that hotshoe).

I am relieved to say that the ride compromise is small - it's there, inevitably, but the difference is not huge - I'm hoping she doesn't notice . She hasn't been in the car since....

Re the tyres, and Macca has commented on this also - I am definitely going down the Michelin route - the PS2s are available in my size, but I'm not sure if the newer PS4s are.
I know the PS4s are not a replacement for the PS2s, more a development of the Pilot Super Sport - but they review well. I'd be interested in any views on PS4 vs PS2 - and any info on sizing - I need 285/30 18 rear and 225/40 18 front - not interested in changing.

Cheers
Old 08-02-2017, 04:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have become a bit of a tyre "expert" recently having just put together a 100 unit @group buy" of Pirelli and Michelin tyres that leave the UK for NZ tomorrow...

The tyre you are referring to are the PS4S not to be confused with PS4. The PS4S is an entirely different tyre made in the Motorsports factory in France from compounds similar to the latest Cup2 tyres also made in the same factory. They are the new replacement for the Supersports but only made in 19" plus fitment. They are a 300TW road tyre that seem to fit between the SS and Cup2 in terms of ultimate grip and handling.

For your 18" you have the choice of the older PS2 or the later Supersport. I've used both extensively in 18" fitment in your sizes, and although they are both good the SS would certainly be my preference....

The PS4 is positioned below the PS2 and the SS as a general purpose road tyre etc. the price reflects this....

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?