Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017 | 02:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

This car is set up to the same as stage 4 specs above.

Not sure about the driving (either RS Megane nor 911 GT3RS) and the passenger gets a bit sick by the end but you can get a feel for how quick these little cars can be through the corners.

Car is 320bhp, 475nm with KW Clubsport and track tyres. The rear seat is removed (-45kg) and the battery is swapped for Lion (-15kg) so its siting on 1320kg.

Old 11-07-2017 | 02:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

An here is our french "hero" a few months later - car now upgraded to "Stage 5" which means hybrid turbo, larger intercooler, injectors, fuel pump & remap making 400 bhp. Torque is retained at 470nm due to factory gearbox longevity. He has also fitted the CAE short shifter tower (800 Euro and a few hours labour).

Its a must watch video, not only for its range of questionable driving skill by all parties but a 997.2 GT3 trying to stay ahead of the Megane that over cooks a corner and a 488 owner who is so maddened by the Renault thing he over takes the car on an inside line and ends up on a completely discussed part of the track!

What again is obvious is the cornering ability and chassis of the car. The problem the car has putting down any more than 350 bhp IMO is straight line performance doesn't increase in a linear fashion with power as FWD struggles to put all that power down under massive acceleration...

Worth a watch if you like track stuff. Magna Cours is a great track.

Old 11-07-2017 | 02:39 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Here is the car in question. Good look in black Pel?
Attached Images   
Old 11-07-2017 | 02:46 AM
Pel
Pro

For a total budget of circa 50k the Megane is a prospect im very excited about. Totally different driving sensation, will take some getting used to, pricepoint aside the car has loads of character and put a smile on my face.

Expected a couple of seconds regarding the track time for the Ohlins, however I think it bodes well for how capable the stock setup is already. Perhaps the Ohlins or KW shine more once the sticky tyres go on.

Mark I had a chat with Dan at Torque Performance, he said if going stage 2 tune to add a Wagner Intercooler as heat soak can become an issue, my order had not left so managed to add one on.

Last edited by Pel; 11-07-2017 at 03:07 AM.
Old 11-07-2017 | 02:51 AM
Pel
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Here is the car in question. Good look in black Pel?
It's really grown on me, will hopefully collect mine tomorrow.
Old 11-07-2017 | 03:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
For a total budget of circa 50k the Megane is a prospect im very excited about. Totally different driving sensation, will take some getting used to, pricepoint aside the car has loads of character and put a smile on my face.

Expected a couple of seconds regarding the track time for the Ohlins, however I think it bodes well for how capable the stock setup is already. Perhaps the Ohlins or KW shine more once the sticky tyres go on.

Mark I had a chat with Dan at Torque Performance, he said if going stage 2 tune to add a Wagner Intercooler as heat soak can become an issue, my order had not left so managed to add one on.
Hi Pel. I did think of an intercooler and probably should have ordered one. Most stage 2 upgrades in UK dont specify them, but then its cooler over there. I may have to add that to the next order (with the KW suspension :-)) If its an issue out on the track...

And yes I think the Ohlins/KW will show the best results with R comps. The stock chassis is pretty good just lacks the camber adjust-ability and of course teh wonderful stance...

Heres the Franchmans RS (its actually an earlier model 2010 but same drivetrain/engine etc).
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2017 | 03:52 AM
Audidude
Racer

Had my RS for 18 months, and looking fwd to the time to read all these posts. .
A quick skim confirms everything I feel about this amazing car.
I've raced/rallyed an Integra Type R for 11 years (including 5 Targa NZ years) , driven FWD cars in the Nurburgring 24 Hour 3 times, and it cracks me up when people rubbish FWD as a competition option.
They know not what they are talking about and speak from prejudice and no experience of a properly sorted one.
Old 11-07-2017 | 04:07 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Audidude
Had my RS for 18 months, and looking fwd to the time to read all these posts. .
A quick skim confirms everything I feel about this amazing car.
I've raced/rallyed an Integra Type R for 11 years (including 5 Targa NZ years) , driven FWD cars in the Nurburgring 24 Hour 3 times, and it cracks me up when people rubbish FWD as a competition option.
They know not what they are talking about and speak from prejudice and no experience of a properly sorted one.
Yeah, we catch on pretty slowly around here ;-).

Last/only FWD car I owned was a Pug 205 GTI (1.9). That car was plenty fun and I look forward to the Meg being a more grown up/modern version.

Having never driven FWD on the track Ill need some pointers so will PM you as you clearly have a wealth of experience and knowledge from piloting this format fast...
Old 11-07-2017 | 04:17 AM
Audidude
Racer

The DZ03Gs are a great choice.
Kiwi Team Nurburgring ran just them instead of slick/wets to great effect and produced winning results over 6 years, partly because of not needing to switch tyres in the incredibly changeable weather on the Nordschleife.

I also ran them in my first 4 Targas and they amazed me with their wet grip.
Old 11-07-2017 | 04:53 AM
Obsessed
Pro

It looks like there'll now be another option for track day insurance. I haven't investigated this yet, but the latest Classic Cover Insurance newsletter says:

We have changed underwriters to
Lumley, a business division of IAG.
This change has opened up a number
of opportunities to continue giving
our clients the very best experience
and cover.

The most exciting of these is the
introduction of various track day cover
options. These are extensions to the
existing policy. You will have to apply
to us and be approved for the various
events we can cover such as Targa Tour,
Nostalgia Drags, GT Club Track days etc.
Old 11-07-2017 | 05:20 AM
Pel
Pro

Great news Michael, thanks, I'm insured through Classic Cover and self insure track days atm, have emailed my Broker.

I assume my premium of $330pa for the SC will go up.

Macca that second video looks like a hoot!
Old 11-07-2017 | 06:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

The DZ03Gs are a great choice.
Kiwi Team Nurburgring ran just them instead of slick/wets to great effect and produced winning results over 6 years, partly because of not needing to switch tyres in the incredibly changeable weather on the Nordschleife.

I also ran them in my first 4 Targas and they amazed me with their wet grip.
Ive not tried the DZ03G but one of our faster RSG drivers (GT3) uses them and swears by them. They are $2200 a set locally best price and $1700 parallel imported...

Interestingly the other option available locally (and cheaper than the DZ03G) are the Hankook Ventus Z221. Ive used these tyre extensively and its the best track tyre Ive ever used. There is good local stock in C70 compound (soft) and in RS 275 fitment so I would also be tempted to try these for their easy availability. they run around $1950 fitted locally for 4 x 235/40R18 C70 (no otehr compounds available unfortunately) so on the expensive side but a perfect choice for a reference lap etc.
Old 11-07-2017 | 01:44 PM
Audidude
Racer

Originally Posted by Macca
Ive not tried the DZ03G but one of our faster RSG drivers (GT3) uses them and swears by them. They are $2200 a set locally best price and $1700 parallel imported...

Interestingly the other option available locally (and cheaper than the DZ03G) are the Hankook Ventus Z221. Ive used these tyre extensively and its the best track tyre Ive ever used. There is good local stock in C70 compound (soft) and in RS 275 fitment so I would also be tempted to try these for their easy availability. they run around $1950 fitted locally for 4 x 235/40R18 C70 (no otehr compounds available unfortunately) so on the expensive side but a perfect choice for a reference lap etc.
Not used the Hankook Z221 myself (the slicks are brilliant and run Ventus S2 evo on my Megane, which I love - strangely the fronts wear out quite quickly ), but they are a series tyre for Honda Cup and a couple of guys switched from slicks to them and paid only 10ths in lap times - so maybe a better value tyre with minimal loss in performance.
Old 11-07-2017 | 04:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Not used the Hankook Z221 myself (the slicks are brilliant and run Ventus S2 evo on my Megane, which I love - strangely the fronts wear out quite quickly ), but they are a series tyre for Honda Cup and a couple of guys switched from slicks to them and paid only 10ths in lap times - so maybe a better value tyre with minimal loss in performance.
Mark. Both tyres seem very close in performance then. They have very similar groove patterns and I also found the Z221 quite manageable in the wet. I think either option would work very well on the MegRS as an out and out track day choice. From my experience the Z221 in 235/40R18 (I used the exact same fitment for the front of my 993 on the track) is quite "square" meaning when we measured it up for clearance it had the width of a 245 road tyre. Im sure the DZ03G shows similar profile. So a further benefit is you get a slightly fatter contact patch with these tyres than you would get from a road tyre etc. Im sure they will make more like 2s a lap difference at Taupo over a fast road tyre but Im trying to be a bit realistic in my expectations. Grip is great, but you need to get power to the ground so I suspect driving style with the FWD car will take some experimentation to get best results.

One of the nice things about the Meg is being able to rotate tyres easily at the end of each day. Nice benefit over the staggered fitments we are used to with Porsche.

Interestingly our young Frenchman ended up recently using 255 up front on a 9J rim with 235 at rear on 9J. Im assuming to give more grip and allow more turn in oversteer. Not sure if he found any benefits with that set up but kinda ruins the square set up advantage IMO.
Old 11-07-2017 | 05:01 PM
Audidude
Racer

I'm sure that the Megane, well set up, would be quicker my Integra IF it was lighter. I'm 1080kg with me in car (guess my weight! be generous ��), but the Megane has about 80hp and 200nm more - hey we know Hondas VTec is not a torque junkie... So that's over 300kg difference!
The suspension and LSD in the Megane are brilliant stock, but with Ohlins or KW would be a killer punch.

Weight is king on the track, of course.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?