Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Asia-Pacific (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-asia-pacific-100/)
-   -   Any Rennlisters from New Zealand? (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-asia-pacific/246405-any-rennlisters-from-new-zealand.html)

ChrisB_NZ 01-19-2014 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by KiwiSean (Post 11064824)
+++ nice work mate.

Re: Rubber

I've gone ahead and ordered the Federals, figured the easiest way to end speculation was to try the damn things. They're basically the same price as Hankook and I've got them in the compound I want as well as hand grooved to handle water better. Won't be as good for track use but I can't have it all ways.

I guess we'll see what they go like on the race car on Feb 26th and then the sprint on March 2nd.

Probably a good call. Sounds like your car might be a bit controversial in the Targa (based on what you were telling me), so sticking with the stipulated tyre might remove something else for people to point at.

Macca 01-19-2014 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ (Post 11065022)
Thanks Macca. Truth be known Steve being the gentleman he is he let me past as he knew he couldn't get past the Caterham, or whatever it was, in front of us and figured I might be able to so let me go to have a crack at it.

He's good like that! A Gentlemen. At Manfield (NITT) on the second to last session of the day with Ray in the car I finally overtook Steve chasing yourself and Neil. I put a low 1.20 in that lap. Was a great session battling it out. He let me get past tho - waved me through after the infield hairpin. Back at the pits he took his helmet off and shaked my hand, his hair was absolutely drenched in sweat. Was one of the more memorable moments of my tour battling with Steve. He could have played with me all day I suspect but he let me through and it felt good. I did make him sweat tho LOL!

The tyre of racing like your video portrays is just great. Light traffic, sensible experienced wheelmen, a variety of metal all coming together to make it a memorable occasion...

mjg 01-19-2014 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone have spare tickets for any of the NZFMR Ferrari days this weekend, or have I missed the boat on that?

Also, this arrived just in type for Pukekohe (assuming installation goes smoothly):
Attachment 798502
Turns out the customs charges were cleared at the source, so it came in a fair bit cheaper than I expected.

Macca 01-19-2014 10:36 PM

Matt. Very tasty. These should really improve the sound. Good luck with the install and be sure to get some sound clips on the day...

ChrisB_NZ 01-19-2014 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by mjg (Post 11065083)
Does anyone have spare tickets for any of the NZFMR Ferrari days this weekend, or have I missed the boat on that?

Also, this arrived just in type for Pukekohe (assuming installation goes smoothly):
Attachment 798502
Turns out the customs charges were cleared at the source, so it came in a fair bit cheaper than I expected.

Matt, that is a seriously nice looking piece of kit!

Plenty of tickets for next weekend. Steve, Michael and I will be there all weekend so just give me a call or send a text (021388033) when you are looking to come out and I can come and meet you at the gate at HD with tickets.

mjg 01-19-2014 10:43 PM

Cheers, it should sound a lot better, it feels pretty quiet now -- although Dean made the comment that mine was a lot louder than Nigel's GT3 when he visited HD and was surprised I didn't have an aftermarket system installed already.

I'll have the GoPro in at Pukekohe. I'm also making a list of stuff to record before and after (including SPL measurements) so I can post it online. The audio for most exhaust videos clips badly due to volume issues during recording so it's hard to tell relative volumes or even what it truly sounds like, so I'll try to avoid that when recording these vids.

Mufflers look smaller than I remembered/expected, could be LOUD!

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ (Post 11065120)
Plenty of tickets for next weekend. Steve, Michael and I will be there all weekend so just give me a call or send a text (021388033) when you are looking to come out and I can come and meet you at the gate at HD with tickets.

Awesome, will do. Thank you!

John McM 01-19-2014 11:03 PM

Matt, you should try and get a in field car pass as well. I think you are close to Paul. He has one. I've got mine but am out East.

peterC2S 01-19-2014 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ (Post 11065035)
Those stripes of Steves were certainly impressive, a bit like that stationery wheel of his when I was beside him in the Barrel 51 corner!

The stationery wheel was noted!!

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ (Post 11065036)
You know you want to do it Pete, come and join in the fun :).

Yep - I'm in for next year for sure. And hopefully something sooner.

kiwi 911 01-20-2014 12:03 AM

Burger - my second replacement windscreen from Aussie is cracked too (making 2 in a row)

So now trying a third from Aussie................

John McM 01-20-2014 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by kiwi 911 (Post 11065334)
Burger - my second replacement windscreen from Aussie is cracked too (making 2 in a row) So now trying a third from Aussie................

So you won't need your alternator for this weekend ;)

Macca 01-20-2014 12:18 AM

Mmmm. I may have cursed you with an earlier comment about the PITA that is replacing a 964/993 window-screen! Why are they breaking?

996tnz 01-20-2014 01:33 AM

HD Motorsport Festival 2014

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ (Post 11065120)

If anyone is dithering on this, grab the chance. It was an off the chart experience (well, short of also getting behind the wheel like Chris - thanks again for the ticket - et al). Took my 3 year old along and we got there just as those 3 F1 Ferrari's started tearing the place up. One set of earplugs later he was a much happier boy and we had an awesome afternoon in the sun, looking over the combined exotic and race machinery .

Not surprised that yellow fezza didn't run on Sunday as it was almost lost in a cloud of smoke each time exiting the hairpin. Good on the owner for running it that hard though.

Was cool but a bit weird too watching Chris's GoPro footage. First time I've 'ridden along' later in a car I've watched racing from the embankment. Makes me want to get out there again soon.

O2GO 01-20-2014 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ (Post 11064291)
Video footage of the last race Steve, Michael R and I were in at the Ferrari Festival yesterday. I'm still learning my GoPro and YouTube. I suspect mounting on a roll cage mount v's windscreen will give a better perspective of my car compared with others when up close in corners. The good news, I finally got past the Ferrari and beat him on the line! I came third after the Lotus rocket ship and the Corvette. Video Link: http://youtu.be/Jujvv91BNt8

Chris, watching that made my day. I felt like I was living the race with you. Loved the audio when hard braking up the arse of the car in front of you when it got close :-) i wondered what happened to Steve when he "disappeared" out of vision. What a guy!

You did really well and it was exciting to watch.

I agree that it is nice to be able to see the driver, gear changes etc in the video too when the camera is mounted on huge roll cage, but then you get less visibility of the cars in front of you. So I guess there's always some compromise there.

kiwi 911 01-20-2014 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 11065371)
Mmmm. I may have cursed you with an earlier comment about the PITA that is replacing a 964/993 window-screen! Why are they breaking?

I have no idea. Just turned up with big cracks??

CS Mende 01-20-2014 04:20 AM

Was surfing TradeMe and wanted to share this in case anyone was in need. Wouldn't want ChrisB or Peter to miss out!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/687327506