Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Asia-Pacific (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-asia-pacific-100/)
-   -   Any Rennlisters from New Zealand? (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-asia-pacific/246405-any-rennlisters-from-new-zealand.html)

mjg 01-20-2014 07:52 PM

Interesting that people claim the R888s are good in the wet, but ended up being the slowest (13% slower than the next slower, 20% slower than the fastest wet tyre, also the slowest dry time but much less in it) of the tested semislicks in Sport Auto's 2012 test: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm

Macca 01-20-2014 07:53 PM

Paul. Unfortunately once the boat arrives, the car cannot be moved until MAF have inspected. If they pass the car I need to get it off the wharf within 24 hrs. At that juncture I could possibly have it flat bedded to my storage unit and leave the rest till I return as you say. Of course this would have to happen by Friday afternoon 14th (boat arrives 13th). Quite tight. If it fails MAF then it gets quarantined and is removed form site. This slows everything up by 4-5 days as Chris M knows and adds more cost. In that case its then definitely all over for the GT3 and SITT. Unfortunately I dont know who I would then get to clear it and transport it after that as Id be in the SI. That later option doesn't bear thinking about!

John McM 01-20-2014 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by peterC2S (Post 11066906)
btw - called in at Contis last night to see Tony's Cayman S & check on PPI. Flew through other than a couple of front tyres. It really is stunning in the flesh - paint is immaculate (same as Doug's). iphone workshop photo with all the reflections doesn't do it justice. So the deal is done. I may just have to steal her for the SITT as Plan B!! (Don't anybody tell him ;))

Are we seeing this on Monday?

356Downunder 01-20-2014 08:25 PM

Have you guys thought of contacting Grant Hudson at:
http://www.aironaut.co.nz/
Check out the site as classic cars is their speciality.

Grant is the son of the late Trevor Hudson who owned the ivory/black 356 Carrera. I'm sure he would be able to assist/advise on any importing/customs clearance issues.
Bob.

peterC2S 01-20-2014 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by John McM (Post 11067237)
Are we seeing this on Monday?

Unfortunately no - Tony is on the LA/London leg and not back til the 28th.

Originally Posted by 356Downunder (Post 11067301)
Have you guys thought of contacting Grant Hudson at:
http://www.aironaut.co.nz/
Check out the site as classic cars is their speciality.

Grant is the son of the late Trevor Hudson who owned the ivory/black 356 Carrera. I'm sure he would be able to assist/advise on any importing/customs clearance issues.
Bob.

Thanks Bob - I'm using Grant as my agent for everything at this end.

Macca 01-20-2014 08:33 PM

Thanks Bob. Yes I know of Grant. Unfortunately the customs clearance is pretty straight forward. It all seemed to fall on the unknowns of MAF and Compliance. With a new car compliance should be a walk through - just an issue of getting them to attend to it asap. For MAF its a big unknown. A single dead inspect stuck to an intake radiator can trigger them to quarantine and spray the car loosing 4-5 days and costing transport and spray. Chris had this happen and his was in container and he fully cleaned it first. This being my 4th Im not claiming to be an expert. Mostly on used cars they have tried to fail me on something during compliance. Usually small but you have to rely on EMD having part in stock etc...

Macca 01-20-2014 08:37 PM

Dean has confirmed today any tyre shop can fit tyres to Centre Lock wheels, so fresh set can be couriered to Queens-town in advance to be fitted whilst there (Steve Mitchel who is on the tour luckily has the 600nm torque wrench and torque multiplier bar needed to get the wheels off). That's one additional nightmare that could have a solution, the tyres on the car will be shagged after Teterongia I would think.

Anyone know a good tyre shop in Queenstown?

Macca 01-20-2014 08:44 PM

MattyG. Interesting write up on tyres. Most who have had wide ranging experience dont rate the R888 much at all saying the compound is old and the grip now compromised on wet and dry tracks. Durability and price seem to be the only pluses left. Tyre technology has moved on alot since the tyres etsted in this article (i.e. Michelin now have the Cup2 which is well advanced, and the trofeo is no TrofeoR). The Conti and the Dunlop were new tech in 2012 and still current. if you were to re write this today I think you would find Trofeo up there with Cup2 then Comti and sportmaxxx but R88 still last.

The Z221 is a new tech compound tyre as you know along with Nitto N01? and a few others coming out of Asia these last 12-24 months and they all seem superior to RE55/R888 and older r compound tyres that were probably designed 6+ years ago.

Of course in good old NZ it comes down to price and availability as well as fitments and ultimately if buying from NZ only you would be looking at performance after those factors...

kiwi 911 01-20-2014 08:54 PM

Matt,

You have had CSP2's and Hankook 221's (and anything else) - which tire do you rate the best??

mjg 01-20-2014 09:00 PM

NT-01s are the same compound as R-888s with a different tread pattern. They're owned by the same parent company. As far as I can tell, this isn't true for the similar looking FZ-202 and Z221s. Curious to see how the FZ-202s turn out; the FZ-201s were received very well originally and then disappointed people with rumours flying that the compound was silently changed (cost savings?).

I'm really surprised the Cup2s don't seem to be lasting as well as I'd have expected.

Originally Posted by kiwi 911 (Post 11067372)
Matt,

You have had CSP2's and Hankook 221's (and anything else) - which tire do you rate the best??

The Z221s have been great. The PS Cups I've run have been older so not entirely fair, but my best times were set with the Z221s and I've had no trouble with them in the wet. The PS Cups are entirely unsafe in the wet. (Note that the PS Cup+ is slightly different with wider water channels and a small extra channel, so is slower in the dry but better in the wet). I'm planning to stick with the Z221s for track tyres for now, and probably looking at AD08Rs for road/wet track use. The selection is fairly limited in my sizes. P Super Sports, PS Cup2s, Race Maxx, etc. are all only available in larger diameters so far.

Edit: Also ran the DZ03G Mediums on the GT3, but they were used and so unknown history, felt good on the road but were treacherous around Taupo one day and fine but slow around HD the next (both in the dry).

I've also run RE11s, PS2s, Sport Maxx, and PSS on other cars. PSS are excellent road tyres that handle track abuse fairly well, as are the RE11s.

Macca 01-20-2014 09:16 PM

MPSC2? If so then limited data to date. Ive got 3300km road on mine and half worn. Motorway miles for 60% of that and also in cool climes. Purely for track days would get maybe 2-3 full track days from a set of fresh MPSC2 on 991 GT3 from what Im hearing by the few who have already used them in the states and UK. No one has worn through a set yet in two track days but looks like they will be knackered by a third. Driving style and track surface may have something to do with it but you have to remember the new GT3 is on road camber settings (-1'30" front and rear) and its generating alot of Gs. Most experienced track guys are putting it up there with a later genl cup car in terms of times and thats so far out of the box (no mods, factory supplied settings and tyres/wheels/pads/brakes etc). As you know once you take 2-3s off a lap at HD below 1.20 everything starts wearing in exponential increments including rubber. The issue with the new 991 GT3 in terms of MPSC wear is not the rears but the shoulders of the fronts. The car has more front end drip than before and less understeer so the front tyres are working really hard, getting very hot and soft and with the fast directional changed the front tyres had to endure they are at risk of chunking up. Wear rating is 180 up from 80 but I suspect that's Road wear not track and anyway as we know tyre UTQG's are highly questionable as to their relative value.

Guys moving up from 997.2 GT3/RS to 991 GT3 have stated previous preference for Hoosier R6 and others over MPSC (first gen) as those also only lasted 2 track days and were questionable in wet, plus very pricey (N rated premium). Most serious GT3 track junkies are long gone on the factory spec type tyres now and have migrated to more suitable and durable rubber...

Of interest tome is longevity of rear pads. New GT3 has electronic diff. old PTV wore rear brakes used to assist traction/turn under brakes, not sure how new GT3 system works. Have been told its different and kind on pads but Steve Mitchell (997TTS coming on SITT) states he eats rear factory pads a set every two track days due to PTV. Thats an expensive habit and a hassle so hoping theyve got this orted with the GT3 as they say but too early to tell....

KiwiSean 01-20-2014 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by mjg (Post 11067386)
They're owned by the same parent company. As far as I can tell, this isn't true for the similar looking FZ-202 and Z221s. Curious to see how the FZ-202s turn out; the FZ-201s were received very well originally and then disappointed people with rumours flying that the compound was silently changed (cost savings?).

I've heard this too. I'm interested to see how they go on the track on the 26th of Feb. Only problem is I've had grooving done to improve wet handling which will compromise them if it's super hot.

When I ordered the FZ 201s the other day they said the FZ 202s were coming in slowly and only in limited sizes otherwise I would've tried them first I think.

The other tire that doesn't seem to be getting any air time is the 214. Probably because of size availability. When I tested this next to the 221 and RE55 with Steve it was quicker but on a 17 inch room. A cracking dry only tire if you need it.

Macca 01-20-2014 09:41 PM

Paul runs Z214 and so does Steve. Steve says they are worth 1.0s at HD over 221. Im pretty sure they run them in the Porsche series too. The Aussie guys are using them and speak highly. I think they are a great alternative for under 18 fitments....

CS Mende 01-20-2014 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ (Post 11067009)
Feeling for you guys importing cars, a very hard/almost impossible process to influence the outcome and make it go faster.

No doubt!

Yesterday I bolted down to Pirongia and grabbed rear seats/belts & installed them this morning at fasttrack. Huge thanks to Steve & Dan for finding those pieces.

Looks like tint will have to be removed from the quarters & the rear screen as it's 20%. In the US any vehicle can go as dark as you like on quarters & rear. In NZ as I've found out, class MA (passenger) must be 35% all around - if you have a ute or truck then you can go darker. Seems silly to me, but such is the law.

Any recommendations for a tint shop or body shop?

-cs

mjg 01-20-2014 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 11067413)
Guys moving up from 997.2 GT3/RS to 991 GT3 have stated previous preference for Hoosier R6 and others over MPSC (first gen) as those also only lasted 2 track days and were questionable in wet, plus very pricey (N rated premium). Most serious GT3 track junkies are long gone on the factory spec type tyres now and have migrated to more suitable and durable rubber...

They run R6s because they're faster. No way they last longer than PSCs or are better in the wet. R6s are like Z214s, which is about the closest you can get to slicks without running slicks.