Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RACINGBRAKES.COM Update on 2 piece rotor after over 2 seasons.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 02:45 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts
Default RACINGBRAKES.COM Update on 2 piece rotor after over 2 seasons.

I have to tell you that i was very impressed with the 2 piece rotors from Racingbrakes.com. the 2nd set of rotor rings lasted all last season and the first two race weekends of this year and let me tell you, they are still near perfect. Ive been running mostly laguna seca, sears point and thunderhill, with a willow springs weekend in there too. normally, the pads would last 3 weekends, and the rotors would last a season, now the pads last for 6 weekends and the rotors look like they will last a 2nd season. HUGE difference over stock obviously.

i tried them as they are brembo dimensions and i had a brembo custom hat made by Charlie at Wrightwood racing.

Just got back from sears point where my last race was run with the pads at about 5mm, which i normally never do......but they worked great on a track that is VERY hard on brakes. i would say its probably even worse than laguna.

here is what they looked like yesterday before i pulled the pads and changed them.
Attached Images   
Old 07-02-2017, 02:49 PM
dntlvet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes it is helpful to report hours of use rather than season or tracks. 10 30 minute sessions or 5 hours. Are you getting 10 hours, 12, or more?
Old 07-02-2017, 03:23 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dntlvet
Sometimes it is helpful to report hours of use rather than season or tracks. 10 30 minute sessions or 5 hours. Are you getting 10 hours, 12, or more?
True.. and thats one of the reasons i post how long prior set ups have lasted. my weekends are usually 5 sessions. the old stock zimmerman /or porsche rotors lasted 3 weekends when drilled , 6 weekends when solid, and the pads always only lasted 3 weekends. (down to 5mm)

Huge difference with the 2 piece rotors and their metallurgy seems to be as good as they say it is . the hats are aluminum, and that wicks away heat so much faster than iron. bearings are much cooler which is a huge gain too.

I guess its all relative. im pretty hard on the brakes with a heavy car with some decent HP and a lot of grip. so a lot depends on the style of driving and the type of event. race mode vs DE mode is quite different, so wear patterns are different. (as well as tracks) laguna and sears are the hardest tracks on brakes compared to Willlow Springs where i think you dont even need brakes but for one turn and

i keep a detailed log. i can add up the hours on all the sessions and races. but again, the point is that compared to really good stock porsche components, the two piece rotors are amazingly better AND compared to others out there, the Racingbrake.com set up is cost effective and very capable.

old version from 2015 and new version from 2016 below. newer version has much better internal ducting and air flow
Attached Images   
Old 07-03-2017, 03:25 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 245 Posts

Mark,
What brake fluid are you using?
How often are you flushing?
Old 07-25-2017, 03:32 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
... the point is that compared to really good stock porsche components, the two piece rotors are amazingly better AND compared to others out there, the Racingbrake.com set up is cost effective and very capable....
Mark, Thanks for the candid review and your insight, a "better" rotor (in design & metallurgy) usually are not noticeable until you have used and compared to others, and tortured and pushed them to the limit.

RB brakes receive the same feedback from Corvette, GTR, Camaro and BMW typically heavily track communities for the performance improvement and durability compared to other name brands.

Why this is possible?, if you are interested in learning more, see this in-depth discovery and review by as BMW 335i track racer.

Why RacingBrake?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474395
Old 07-25-2017, 03:46 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Mark,
What brake fluid are you using?
How often are you flushing?
i was using torque, and then stoptech and now SRF. i bleed about every 2 or 3 weekends. this last weekend , i bled before, and it seemed to help with pedal feel and a funny ABS failure (maybe air in the ABS controller) not sure. didnt have it this last race at sears point . and it was noticbly dirty, so that was good to get that fluid out. ideally, i would like to bleed every other weekend with SRF.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:49 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RacingBrake
Mark, Thanks for the candid review and your insight, a "better" rotor (in design & metallurgy) usually are not noticeable until you have used and compared to others, and tortured and pushed them to the limit.

RB brakes receive the same feedback from Corvette, GTR, Camaro and BMW typically heavily track communities for the performance improvement and durability compared to other name brands.

Why this is possible?, if you are interested in learning more, see this in-depth discovery and review by as BMW 335i track racer.

Why RacingBrake?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474395
yes, i think i push them harder than most , with a heavy car and the tracks i frequent. the new design is much better but , normal wear, i cant believe I'm half way into the season on those rotors. starting to show cracks on the surface, nothing large, but spider cracks. . so, ill have to order an other set after this weekend!

thanks for the help and support in getting my braking system back to max capabilities.

Mark
Old 07-25-2017, 03:55 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

old version vs new vs brembo (the 3 rotors ) black is the new version. nice inlet aero shapes second picture is RB old design vs new design that ive been using for over a season.
Attached Images   
Old 07-28-2017, 08:43 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

I have non-floating RB rotors on my 964 cup. Really nice pieces and seems to last significantly better than the stock rotors.

Quick Reply: RACINGBRAKES.COM Update on 2 piece rotor after over 2 seasons.