Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Loud Squealing Cold Pagid Yellow Racing Brake Pads Sound Like (Cayman)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 03:28 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Mark - awaiting your PM still. Mine too are the RSL29s (rear anyway - RST2 reds front) and are possibly the world's best squealers so would be a good test.

It takes a serious bedding procedure (the kind that would see me pulled over on road) or serious track laps to shut them up for even a day. Even an autocross day a month or two back (won, so wasn't hanging around) didn't get them hot enough to quiet them for even that long.
yes, and my procedure is serous and will NOT see you pulled over if you do it correctly . autocross wont do it, and even a race day wont do it unless some care is used from the start. bedding sets the stage for the wear pattern. if not done correctly, you will have squealers..........agian, this is 20 years experience here with all sorts of calipers and race pads. NO noise. again, think im just lucky? PM sent.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:39 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garyever
My new Pagid yellow pads started squealing a few days after being installed along with new rotors a year or so back. Porsche mechanic's previous break-in instructions were to not do any hard braking until I had put some miles on them. After a few more days I did three or more panic stops form 60 mph to almost "0" on an open stretch of the freeway and the hard braking rubbed off whatever was causing the vibration. I do the same procedure on my mountain bike when trail grims builds up on the disk brakes, and same on my pickup, when I start hearing that squeal. Now after a year, every few months I hear squeals, do the same hard breaking, and the squeals disappear for a while. It appears to me to just be accumulated brake dust and grime. Give it a try.
Your porsche mechanic is not versed in the process of making racing pads not squeal. if you follow my technique, you will not have a squeal... ever. panic stops dont due much. way to short, not enough pressure and the slow speed of the rotor for much of the process , makes the wear pattern WORSE!! please toss out all that information and use my process. you will than, me later. again. this is 20 years of racing and driving the car on the street as well. no squeal! If you want the real process.. PM me and ill send it to you. what you and your "mechanic" are advising wont even make a scratch on the pads or rotors. sorry, race pads are tough materials and take more heat, more pressure and more speed and time, to bed properly.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:55 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mark- I was wrong RS19 are Black and those I don't think you could keep them quiet.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:02 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

RS19, RS29, RSL1 & RSL2 are all yellow. These endurance pads are now being grouped under the RSL prefix so you'll now see them referred to as RSL19 & RSL29. Still the same pad but just a new prefix for the endurance pads.

RS14 is black and would be considered a sprint compound.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 06-19-2017, 06:36 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

correction- I was running RS14 Black Compound- they are screamers E 2707 140 10 ... SPRINT ?! - I didn't know that. Ran them for years.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:36 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Mark- I was wrong RS19 are Black and those I don't think you could keep them quiet.
I think i could... but it might be a task... i was able to make the EBC oranges slilent, street and track on a high performance street car... and i actually bought them from someone that had a prior set and said they made a racket! i took the chance and was very happy. race pads for the street, and quiet as a mouse.
it's all in the bedding... more importantly, the initial bedding.
I could be proved wrong with the RS19/29s, but give it a shot with my method.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:03 PM
OirishKev
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK - So my 2 cents.
Fitted new Brembo Discs and RSL29s to the Cayman R.
Chamfered the pad face to 45 degrees or so on the leading and trailing edges (about 1/8th of an inch).
Used Ceratec grease on the backs and sides of the pad.
I drove the car normally for about 100 miles merely to place a heat cycle through the new discs and to allow them to key up with pad material.
I then began the bedding process as per a contact in the motorsport industry who offered advice for RSL pads.
Discs up to operating temp (300-400c)
10 stops with light to medium pressure bringing the car down from 105 to 35. 250 yard cool downs in between but accelerating quickly back to 105 to begin again.
5 stops 90 to 50 with hard pressure on the brake. Quickly accelerating hard back to 90 and 250 yard gaps inbetween
5 stops of 105 to 35 again with medium pressure. Never brining the car to a stop.
Then I drove for about 3 miles with medium braking pressure as and when needed.
i then drove slowly allowing the car and pads to cool down.

The result? Transformative breaks. I love my car once more and have ZERO squeal!

One.
Happy.
Bunny.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:50 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by OirishKev
OK - So my 2 cents.
Chamfered the pad face to 45 degrees or so on the leading and trailing edges (about 1/8th of an inch).
I drove the car normally for about 100 miles merely to place a heat cycle through the new discs and to allow them to key up with pad material.
I then began the bedding process as per a contact in the motorsport industry who offered advice for RSL pads.
10 stops with light to medium pressure bringing the car down from 105 to 35. 250 yard cool downs in between but accelerating quickly back to 105 to begin again.
5 stops 90 to 50 with hard pressure on the brake. Quickly accelerating hard back to 90 and 250 yard gaps inbetween
5 stops of 105 to 35 again with medium pressure. Never brining the car to a stop.

The result? Transformative breaks. I love my car once more and have ZERO squeal!

One.
Happy.
Bunny.
Awesome! For how long have you been squeal-free?
Old 06-30-2017, 10:58 PM
OirishKev
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since my last post.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:23 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

OK - So my 2 cents.

One.
Happy.
Bunny.
Happy bunny.. there is one way to do it very similar to what my process is. nice work. however, this is a lot more work than my way. ill PM you the process if you want for next time. the good thing is, you broke the code. good for you and yes, here is a reason it worked . i have a story of bedding at the track , when you are forced to deal with a challenge. (new rotors , with old pads and no bedding process abilities on the track..) but, there still a way using one of my techniques. put it this way, just driving on the track in one of our race sessions wont do it.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:18 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Great feedback!
Old 07-03-2017, 06:24 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Since my last post.
So, like 4 hours? What about after a week or two of street driving? Does the squeal ever come back or is it gone forever?
Old 07-04-2017, 04:19 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
So, like 4 hours? What about after a week or two of street driving? Does the squeal ever come back or is it gone forever?
if you do it right, the squeal is gone for the life of the pads. this is several months of street driving, as well as racing every month.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:24 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would round off the pad leading edges + some harder (be safe!) stops.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:47 PM
urban2k
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This sounds exactly like the PCCB pads on my 991 GT3. Washing my car silences them for about 100 miles, but the noise always comes back. I'm getting my pads replaced today (cooked them during my last DE); hopefully it makes a difference.

Quick Reply: What Loud Squealing Cold Pagid Yellow Racing Brake Pads Sound Like (Cayman)