Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Loud Squealing Cold Pagid Yellow Racing Brake Pads Sound Like (Cayman)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 01:23 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default What Loud Squealing Cold Pagid Yellow Racing Brake Pads Sound Like (Cayman)

Adding this as a reference for new guys who are considering race pads for their mostly street car,
and are curious what squealing cold racing pads sound like. I've always wondered.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:08 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Soulds like my 911 DE car on the street with Pagid orange! Embarrasing in city driving.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:21 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

You have to follow my bed in procedure and you will never have a squeak again.
this is for ........pagid orange, (race,) RS-14, PFC11, PFC-O1, EBC orange, ST41, S4, etc.

Has anyone heard a squeal out of my brakes , street or race pads? race car or street car. Never!
Old 06-11-2017, 09:50 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

That sounds about right. I have Girodisc pads on my Cayman now, and they would intermittently make noises like that (or worse). After two track days, the squeal seems to be better/less common - but it still irks me when that happens.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:20 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Useful video for those wondering about the squealing. Have run RS19/RS29, RST2, RSL(whatever number they were) pads fulltime for years. Mostly because I can't be bothered swapping pads on and off every time we go to track or Targa. Swapping wheels is enough work already, along with fitting new pads and rotors when needed. Yes, these squeal like a stuck pig when not hammered hard on track, but hey, "Brakes Squeal Because Racecar".

Almost a safety feature too, as whether on the gas, or on the anchors, she's heard coming. But yeah, they're loud, probably eat the rotors faster, and make her sound a bit like a big bus under brakes. So probably not the best if looking to impress (non-motorhead) passengers I imagine.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:21 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Useful video for those wondering about the squealing. Have run RS19/RS29, RST2, RSL(whatever number they were) pads fulltime for years. Mostly because I can't be bothered swapping pads on and off every time we go to track or Targa. Swapping wheels is enough work already, along with fitting new pads and rotors when needed. Yes, these squeal like a stuck pig when not hammered hard on track, but hey, "Brakes Squeal Because Racecar".

Almost a safety feature too, as whether on the gas, or on the anchors, she's heard coming. But yeah, they're loud, probably eat the rotors faster, and make her sound a bit like a big bus under brakes. So probably not the best if looking to impress (non-motorhead) passengers I imagine.
its all in the bedding.. any car with a new rotor can enjoy no noise operation IF they are bedded properly. this even goes for the most aggressive pads. PM if you want to know the process. but i can assure you . ive been driving street and track on the same pads full race and partial race, (pagid orange R-4-4) for 20 years with NO issues on a number of different types of rotors. as long as the rotors are new to start you can enjoy running race pads on the street with no issues with noise.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:36 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

my Pagids were fine (surprisingly) until i parked the car for 8 months.
Now So bad i had to take them off.

I went for pre bedded RE10 pads, but on my same rotors. They now squeal too after my last track day.

Perhaps it is all in the rotor?
Old 06-13-2017, 03:19 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
my Pagids were fine (surprisingly) until i parked the car for 8 months.
Now So bad i had to take them off.

I went for pre bedded RE10 pads, but on my same rotors. They now squeal too after my last track day.

Perhaps it is all in the rotor?
you need to re-bed the "pre bedded" pads and you should be fine as long as the rotors are in good shape. no grooves etc.
squealing is all in the pads and the rotors together.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:16 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
its all in the bedding.. any car with a new rotor can enjoy no noise operation IF they are bedded properly. this even goes for the most aggressive pads. PM if you want to know the process. but i can assure you . ive been driving street and track on the same pads full race and partial race, (pagid orange R-4-4) for 20 years with NO issues on a number of different types of rotors. as long as the rotors are new to start you can enjoy running race pads on the street with no issues with noise.
Some race pads will squeal no matter what you do when you drive them on the street. And some street pads will get too hot and fade on the track no matter what you do. Different designs have different capabilities.

My street pads never made any noise. My Pagid pads used on the track squeal on the street. Par for the course.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:27 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Some race pads will squeal no matter what you do when you drive them on the street. And some street pads will get too hot and fade on the track no matter what you do. Different designs have different capabilities.

My street pads never made any noise. My Pagid pads used on the track squeal on the street. Par for the course.
this is because you have not bedded them correctly. functionally, yes, but not to the point that they dont squeek. i have used the majority of the popular race pads on 10, 11, 12, and 13" rotors with no squealing, with a 50 /50 mix of track and street. i have the equiv of pagid orange on my performance street car too. pads that were sold to me cheap (brand new ) based on their squeaking characteristics. they are quiet as mouses on the street, and a several track days. this is 20 years of doing this here by the way.

what you said WAS true, in that most all street pads, will fade at the track. that is par for the course as you say.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:00 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

this is because you have not bedded them correctly. functionally, yes, but not to the point that they dont squeek. i have used the majority of the popular race pads on 10, 11, 12, and 13" rotors with no squealing, with a 50 /50 mix of track and street. i have the equiv of pagid orange on my performance street car too. pads that were sold to me cheap (brand new ) based on their squeaking characteristics. they are quiet as mouses on the street, and a several track days. this is 20 years of doing this here by the way.

what you said WAS true, in that most all street pads, will fade at the track. that is par for the course as you say.
So you're saying that the only reason track pads squeal, ever, and for any driver/car setup, is because they were not bedded properly by the end user?
Old 06-13-2017, 07:04 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

you need to re-bed the "pre bedded" pads and you should be fine as long as the rotors are in good shape. no grooves etc.
squealing is all in the pads and the rotors together.
I shouldnt have to pre-bed the pads after ever time i use them on track?
The pads were prebedded to begin with.

Me thinks it is due to my old rotors. New or newer rotors might have made the difference.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:14 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I shouldnt have to pre-bed the pads after ever time i use them on track?
The pads were pre-bedded to begin with.

Me thinks it is due to my old rotors. New or newer rotors might have made the difference.
it depends on the rotor condition. but the point is moot if you just bed the pads you want, onto new rotors. the bedding is two fold. (some say 3, but they are wrong). you cook all the resins out of the pads.... this you can see on bed in or after a race , when the pad has a heat line at about half way up the thickness from the contact surface. next it to get the pads and the rotor's surfaces matched to each other. pads are softer than rotors, so the pads that are already "bedded" need to bed again, to match the microscopic surface imperfections. so the 2nd reason is the main reason and cause of squealing.
put the pads you want to have on the track, and bed them well. you will then be able to use them on the street with no squealing.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:33 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

^^ I'm sorry, but it is simply false to lead folks to think that track pads will not squeal when bedded properly. There are hundreds of posts about folks not being able to stop track pads from squealing. I doubt hundreds are all wrong or bed them in all wrong.

Track pads - racing pads meant for high speed or high power braking - are built for the track and don't work as well on the street. Braking performance is one reason. Noise is another. It's just a fact.

Now there are hybrid - or middle ground pads - that can serve dual purposes, and plenty of track pads don't squeal. But in general, no, bedding properly is not the surefire way to stop squeal.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:34 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Quick Reply: What Loud Squealing Cold Pagid Yellow Racing Brake Pads Sound Like (Cayman)