Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crash: Instructor braces himself with his feet on the dash.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 10:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,853 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
It is called the friction circle. Basically, your tires have so much grip, it can be used to brake/accelerate in a straight line, turn, or a combination of braking and turning (as long as the total of the 2 doesn't exceed the maximum grip). It is common practice to teach track novices to only brake in a straight line because it makes it harder to induce spin, but in the long run, it's a disservice to the student, because it's something they have to unlearn as they advance in their driving ability.
^^THIS^^
Old 05-23-2017, 10:36 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

It is called the friction circle. Basically, your tires have so much grip, it can be used to brake/accelerate in a straight line, turn, or a combination of braking and turning (as long as the total of the 2 doesn't exceed the maximum grip). It is common practice to teach track novices to only brake in a straight line because it makes it harder to induce spin, but in the long run, it's a disservice to the student, because it's something they have to unlearn as they advance in their driving ability.
????
Are you saying that because I have not mastered trail braking yet?
Old 05-23-2017, 10:37 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
^^THIS^^
Yes, friction circle, good lesson or counter productive?
Old 05-23-2017, 10:39 PM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Would have said the same, WITHOUT the "GAS-GAS-GAS..."
I'm curious why WITHOUT the GAS? Seems like it might have helped in the case.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:39 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Good for Novice.

Must be explained that it a starting point for new drivers.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:40 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack667
Yes - either or better both - move left (might not get all the way back to line), and more braking due to late pass/ off line. I contend that novices - with much more highway experience than track experience for these maneuvers - have a bias against passing someone and then immediately applying the brakes, especially to take a turn at a lower speed than they've been during the rest of the event (while they were on the line). IMHO, it's less about shift point and trying to get the downshift completed, vs the aversion to braking after a pass. That's just my 10+ years of coaching novices at DEs, and I *think* it applies here.
I disagree. If the student is not comfortable taking the turn from mid track, he/she has no business taking such a late pass. There is NO reason to move back to the left in this case. A simple exercise to prepare students for taking such turns off line is to go out at reduced speed and try it (preferably without traffic) so they get a feel for it. Until they are comfortable doing so, they should not be attempting late passes.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AO
I'm curious why WITHOUT the GAS? Seems like it might have helped in the case.
Car was out of control. Gas would have caused him to crash harder. First lesson.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

A fundamental skill and comprehension is required to understand traction and weight distribution, or the lack thereof...
Old 05-23-2017, 10:54 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Car wasnt out of control the driver was. Car control was ultimately lost only after leaving the track. He had room and time to attempt to correct before he left the track.

Great thread. Lots of opinion. Only thing that matters to me is can this help a Novice driver and new instructor. I hope it can.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:03 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996AE
Car wasnt out of control the driver was. Car control was ultimately lost only after leaving the track. He had room and time to attempt to correct before he left the track.

Great thread. Lots of opinion. Only thing that matters to me is can this help a Novice driver and new instructor. I hope it can.
I can only speak for myself, but threads like this, that address issues of novice drivers, pro or con is VERY HELPFUL !
Old 05-23-2017, 11:06 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

????
Are you saying that because I have not mastered trail braking yet?
Not directed at you. Just saying that some of the "absolutes" that are taught to beginners are not correct. By teaching you to always brake in a straight line, and engraining that into your head, it makes it more difficult to then try to "unlearn" that habit as you learn about trail braking. It makes it seem like trail braking is a bad thing that you shouldn't even know about until you're in the advanced group. Focusing more on when to apply the brakes, and being smooth coming off the brakes is more important IMO
Old 05-23-2017, 11:18 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Not directed at you. Just saying that some of the "absolutes" that are taught to beginners are not correct. By teaching you to always brake in a straight line, and engraining that into your head, it makes it more difficult to then try to "unlearn" that habit as you learn about trail braking. It makes it seem like trail braking is a bad thing that you shouldn't even know about until you're in the advanced group. Focusing more on when to apply the brakes, and being smooth coming off the brakes is more important IMO
Got it

Coming off a hard braking smoothly from high speed and going into a tight turn more than 90 degrees without trail braking is a little tricky when you want to keep momentum going.

That's why this DE stuff is addictive
Old 05-23-2017, 11:21 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Car was out of control. Gas would have caused him to crash harder. First lesson.
yes yes yes.. i think we are finally in synch on this one!
Old 05-23-2017, 11:25 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 204 Posts

Lost his brakes. That's a good one.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:30 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I generally try to ween my students off of this when they have become smooth with the brakes, but the "brake in a straight line" rule is crucial with newbies who may just pound the pedals and crank the wheel. They have to be smooth to appreciate the finesse it takes to rotate the car with the brakes.

It all depends on the student.

True story: on my very first track weekend I was trail braking like crazy. I had learned how to do it playing Grand Prix Legends and trashed hundreds of simulated F1 cars in the process. Turns out it was easier in real life and I was the one correcting me - my instructor never pointed it out. Not that he was a quiet type, because he sure let me know of the other stuff I wasn't doing right. I figured I must have done the trail braking decently enough not to scare him.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Crash: Instructor braces himself with his feet on the dash.