DQ'ed, motor too small

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 09:26 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default DQ'ed, motor too small

I was warned by many C stock racers about this issue but never thought it would be enforced. Racing a US 993 in PCA the hot set up is to convert to a Euro RS. This allows you to drop the weight to 2794#, change the gearing and a lighter flywheel, big brakes and a 3.8 motor with 30#/hp (+/-) torque and hp. Well I made all the above changes except the motor which today will run you about $17,000..

I have registered and raced as a 3.6 at 25 events with about 20 races being PCA. 1997 993RS 3.6. The 3.6 was questioned by the National Scrute at the Summit Point Race. I explained I intend to upgrade the motor to a 3.8 this winter now that I have 45000 miles with the majority race track time. He explained "the rule" of update/backdate but did not make an issue of it.

Last weekend I arrive at CMP for the Club Race. Practice was going well and the car felt great but my times were off. 1:49's were the best I could do in practice. Qualifying I drop to 1:48:4 but that put me 3rd in C and 6th on the grid. Race time, I got a great start jumped to 4rd with the #1 C car in 3nd overall (993 RS). A few laps later a 993 Cup passed me and entering one of the 2nd gear turns I had to go off to avoid contact. Several cars got by me. 5 laps later I was in 5th with the first place C about 25-30 yards ahead. I finally caught him in lapped traffic. A car being lapped spun and sent me way off in the grass to avoid contact. I had to wait 3 seconds or so to re enter the track. Several laps later I catch back up with the 1st C car running 4th in group. He gets by a B 996TT whos tires were giving up I suspect. This would be my last chance to catch him. I jump the curb to pass the B car and drive as hard as possible to catch the C car. 4 car lengths between us and out comes the checker. Oh well great race.

As we enter the pits we are both impounded. The #1 C is 5 +/- #'s light DQ'ed. Maybe I was unsportmanlike but hey that makes me the winner! I was visually excited by his poor fuel management. Not so fast. I weigh in at 20# heavy. The National Scrute announces that I registered as a 3.6 and the RS was never built as a 3.6. That makes me a D car with big brakes, C prepared and I need to be 3060 (or whatever) but if I had the extra hp I should be 2794. This is ludicrous. Absolutely rediculous. I am DQ'ed. I protest and he says it is Dick Dobsons call. Dick is the same Scrute that I talked to at Summit. DQ'ed. No 10' trophy and huge purse for me.

Oh well fun race ;> and was running 1:47:4 in the race which is pretty good for a tired 3.6. Trashed another splitter. 4th one this year.

I packed up and headed back to the Hotel. Had 9 beers and pondered this. I was robbed. Absolutely robbed. PCA has Concours judging and racing confused. Why is this an issue after 20 races and not before? Whats next, RS's did not come with red doors?

OK, you want a 3.8. A 3.8 you will get.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:55 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 147 Posts

Bill:
That sucks. I understand enforcing the rules (the 3.8 vs 3.6 thing), but the PCA scrutes should have told you at race #1 that you could not run your car as a 993RS unless you put in a 3.8. This isn't something you hid from them. They let it slide, then decided 20 races later to enforce the rule which in my opinion, was a mistake. Random enforcement of the rules (in any sport) is wrong. What is funny about the whole thing is that your infraction is actually a self imposed handicap since your car in its current form has less HP and TQ.

I think someone ratted you out because you won or because the red doors and lime green splitter
Old 11-10-2003, 10:00 AM
Lothar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill,

I ran DE/Time trial the weekend before at CMP. I would loved to have seen the race, but it's a bit far to travel having been away from the family the weekend before.

Tom and Judson Minyard ran 1:45.794 in a GTC3 and 1:46.908 in a GT-2 RSR. Both were on Dunlop slicks. It sounds like your times were very fast.

My best time was a 1:57.459 in my G class SC. I know I can get into the mid 1:50's with very little work.

I hate when rules are enforced or interpreted inconsistently. I can imagine your frustration. On the bright side, it sounds like you have already found plenty of positives about your performance.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:17 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Hey Bill, I feel for ya. But at least you ended up better than me. This was my first time to CMP, so I went a day early to do the T&T on Thursday. The morning was damp and I was just learning the track, so I didn't take any times. The first session out after lunch was sunny and the track was dry, so I was able to push harder. Unfortunately, a GT3R blew his engine going down the pit straight. He didn't realize it until he got most of the way down the straight, so he pulled off onto one of the cross-over roads on the right. This left oil on the line going into turn 1. When I came around onto the straight, I saw the smoke but by that time it had drifted over the pit lane, so I thought someone had blown up over there. I looked and there was no debris flag out. I was behind another car, so I couldn't see the track surface very well. I went for the brakes going into 1 and the car immediately snapped around and skidded off into the grass and tire walls.

My 4-day weekend was done at that point. Put the car on the trailer and headed home on Friday. Heavy damage to the right door and rear quarter, so this could be my opportunity to add red doors to my yellow car. I'll find out this week if it can be ready for Roebling or not.

Karl
Old 11-10-2003, 10:35 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Karl, I guess I had a great weekend in comparison. Sorry to hear about the oil induced spin. Very bad luck. I was looking for you and Ivan gave me the bad news.

Did you like the track otherwise?
Old 11-10-2003, 10:54 AM
DCLee
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeez Guys:

I am really sorry to hear this. CMP is a long tow and you sure want to come back with something (huge purse, giant trophy, kiss from beauty queen presenter, gold Rolex, etc.). Better luck next time.

Hey Bill: I know a guy who may want to part with a strong 3.8 engine if you ask nicely. Got a lo-mi. turbo motor to trade? I have decided the GT2 homolofgation special belongs in B Stock, and I have the body kit gathering dust in the garage).

Cuzzin' Lee

(Shivered at the Frozen Turkey Bowl @ Summit but didn't run-- kinda pointless to try to keep up with Gennady's and Tom Pank's RSRs in Big Bore Group. Maybe I should drop the TT motor in a Legends car???)
Old 11-10-2003, 11:00 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lee, Can I borrow your motor for Roebling Road? I will be gentle with it.... trust me.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:32 AM
DCLee
Pro

Sure, LeadFoot. (Just sign right here on p. 28a of the promissory note...)

Cuzzin' Lee
Old 11-10-2003, 12:05 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by bill walczak
Did you like the track otherwise?
Yes, I did. Not as fast as Summit but an interesting combination of high speed sweepers and 2nd gear technical corners. I'll definitely be going back next Spring.

Karl
Old 11-10-2003, 12:46 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Bill, If that was me that ran you off i sincerely apologize. Sorry to here about your DQ, you were absolutely flying all weekend, you deserved the win.

If you get a 3.8 youll be runnin with the 993 cups for sure.

Originally posted by Carrera51

I think someone ratted you out because you won or because the red doors and lime green splitter
The lime green splitter "fell off" when he passed me in practice on Friday, so i believe bill ran without it on Saturday.

Speaking of which, how did your car handle through the kink w/o the splitter?

-Phil
Old 11-10-2003, 01:49 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

No one ran me off. If I scrub off too much corner speed I get dropped by the pack. I loose too much on the straights so momentum is key with little motors. I ran up on cornering traffic too fast thinking I could pass before the turn in but had to go off to avoid contact.

One lap to go I passed the white 996TT B car in turn 12 (? 2 before the front straight) diving on the inside curb and made it.

I do not notice any difference with or without the splitter. This happened at the Watkins Glen race and I got a little faster without the splitter.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:24 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

What is funny about the whole thing is that your infraction is actually a self imposed handicap since your car in its current form has less HP and TQ.

Not really. The point they were trying to make is that with the 3.6 and brakes he should be C prepared and weight 3060 or so. Since he was less than that, his car was underweight.

I think it sounds like BS but what are you going to do? Noone is going to change the official outcome, right? With the fact he has been able to run so may races with little to no complaints makes it a total hose job IMO.

Do the 3.8 and get your gold Rolex.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:47 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

So I am racing to catch a C 3.8RS that qualified 1.8 seconds ahead of me and according to PCA rules I should be 3060 and 285hp chasing the 2800# 300 hp car. Oh yea, that seems logical. Very level playing field.

I am holding PCA responsible for my sexual disfunction after being told I had a small motor. I am scared for life.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:57 PM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't think it was the three toned Porshce. There was a cup car there with every panel a different color.

Fun weekend though for most of us. I learned the meaning of "coexistence" during the Sunday Enduro when they combined all the classes into one race. 40+ cars of varying power and talent. The video is awesome. Thank goodness for the mandatory 5 minute pit stop. I had a slow leak in a rear tire that went fully flat on the back straight. Turn eleven had me sliding all over the place. Limped around the last four turns into the pit and did a 5 minute 3 second stop. That 3 seconds cost me 2 maybe 3 positions.

That's racing. Still the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!!

Bill, I hope you can make it to Roebling. You are fun to try and catch.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:08 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will be there Mac! I am saving up to buy 3.8 decals. I can't lie on my app though. Where they ask motor size I will enter my first wifes age. Easy mistake. This is like doing your taxes.

Quick Reply: DQ'ed, motor too small