Sponsored by:

DQ'ed, motor too small

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 03:06 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Tell me about it. My 993 has the weight issue. Even with the cage, I had to add 60 lbs ballast and with a 1/2 tank of gas I was still 20 lbs light. I ran the enduro at CMP (rookie candidate). Because I did not want disqualified, I had a very competitive 10+ minute pit stop (in a 5 minute mandatory stop race) trying to make sure I could make weight by filling the tank to the brim. In true HWFM fashion, I finished dead last for the cars that actually finished (2nd in class though). Afterwards, I was told by another racer that they never weigh cars after the enduro and that he knew guys who took 200lbs out for enduros. Live and learn, I guess.

At this point, my car is not fully developed for D, so I can't say whether a 95 993 is capable of being competitive in that class. I personally felt more competitive with the F class as I stand right now. But hey, I am doing my best to drop the 95 993 lap time averages low enough to drop us 95 993 owners a class or two. Of course Mr. Mcgehee is not helping the cause.

Last edited by John H; 11-12-2003 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:12 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Phil, Congratulations on a great race and group win! Coming from 7th on the grid you were hooked-up.

What happened to Tims 993 Cup? I know he was moved to GT2 but was there a specific issue with his car? His lap times were roughly the same as last year.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:25 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Jim: is there any way you can send me the proposal that you said fell on deaf ears. I've spoken to someone else offline who had ideas and maybe I can formulate

The proposal would have to encompass all of club racing. What I'm looking for is a Committee made up of racers that would hear, mediate and ultimately make a ruling on a racer's protest. Much like SCCA currently utilizes (although I'm not sure who is on their committee).

Keep in mind, this isn't an overnight process. PCA, for good reasons, is a very conservative club and doesn't make knee jerk decisions. In addition, as a Zone Rep, I can simply bring it up and discuss it. John Crosby and his committee have always been very honest and forthcoming with me and I have no reason to doubt they would have the same approach to this. Additionally, this is may be an item that the Executive Council would like to have input prior to any final decisions. However, what they really want is solutions not problems
Old 11-12-2003, 05:12 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally posted by bill walczak
Phil, Congratulations on a great race and group win! Coming from 7th on the grid you were hooked-up.

What happened to Tims 993 Cup? I know he was moved to GT2 but was there a specific issue with his car? His lap times were roughly the same as last year.
Thanks, all we had to do was put some new tires on the front and "newer" tires on the rear, and the car went a whole lot quicker. Only problem was i nearly ran out of gas(the light came on halfway through the race), and i had to short shift through most of it.

Tim's car was throwing flames, and therefore didn't have the catalyst on, or it had been gutted, so he got bumped to gt2r.

-Phil
Old 11-12-2003, 08:11 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by bill walczak
According to the PCA "D" car list a 993 is the LEAST competitive car for the class @ 11.35# per pony. Several E cars are in the mid 10's (# per hp). On the other hand PCA can't make sure we are all "equal". That is up to the driver to get his car in the most competitive legal form. By backdating to a RS and getting the weight/flywheel/gears... the 993 is great machine within its class. As a D car it does not have a chance in a competitive field. (Sorry Mac, I know you are the exception
Tell me about it... Not that I'm a fast driver or anything but at my home track club race i was eating dust on the straights by everything in my class, especially on the long back straight coming off with the same exit speed following a "stock" RSA he would pull several car lengths before turn 1. At any rate it was interesting to see that PCA will have new stock 3031 weight RSA's running at E and lightweight at D. At a certain point I think they were considering running "prepared" RSA's at D which would have put the nale on the coffin of the stock 993. So in my book they do recognize that a weight modification to back date or update therefore it would be easy to have this as a "prepared" modification for a 993 and up a class like the RSA.
I was told that PCA tested the 993 and found the multilink suspension giving 2 seconds advantage to the 993 over the 964 therefore the bump to D. I think that would be good enough if no suspension changes were allowed. In other words they wanted to run true stock class racing they should have dissallowed any suspension changes including the shocks, springs etc, then the 2 seconds would have hold water. Now with the suspension pretty much free, I think the weight to power issue is the most significant thing to consider. Looking at the past results for D class is it a coincidence that the 964 Cup or Euro RS are winning everything in the class sometimes turning laps much faster than cars in C ? I think not. And while it would be up to the driver on how compettitive they are, not only the car, I think it is not a coincidence that these things are happening.
If you can afford to run JRZ's triple adjustables and afford to buy Hoosiers at every race, change spring rates for each track etc then where do these 2 seconds come into play when comparing a 964 for example with the above mods and a 993 with a simple non adjustable suspension ( I do) ???
While PCA does not care about the money issue one of the primary attractions for me to run PCA is the 13/13 rule. Which is a money saving issue really as I cannot afford to be repairing my car's bodywork after each race... So i think other racer's are operating under the same restrictions, therefore it would be safe to say that money is an issue for at least some and one of the attractions to run PCA. So I cannot afford a triple JRZ suspension. I cannot even afford a new set of Hoosiers every race. Do I have to be penalized for this? Given the fact that we all have the competitive sprit, the rules should be made in such a way that they would equalize the field in each class and that is through HP/weight ratio IMHO, or restrict in stock classes the mods you can do, even better no mods at all and then clasify the cars at weights and ratios as they actually came off the factory. ( only allow some free excaust for in car sound entertainment!)
(coming off the soap box now)
Old 11-12-2003, 10:13 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I wanted to add my two cents. I do not buy new tires for every race, have no special shocks and still run stock 17" wheels. I truely believe a great driver in both 964 and a 993 cars, the 993 would win every time.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:29 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by DJF1
If you can afford to run JRZ's triple adjustables . . . So I cannot afford a triple JRZ suspension.
Danny,

I have a set of used JRZ triples that I've had rebuilt and shock dynoed. You interested?
Old 11-13-2003, 03:12 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by kev
Danny,

I have a set of used JRZ triples that I've had rebuilt and shock dynoed. You interested?
LOL...rub it in...everyone is selling lately good stuff that I need , but with the new house...at any rate you have a PM!
Old 11-13-2003, 07:24 AM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by clubrcr
I wanted to add my two cents. I do not buy new tires for every race, have no special shocks and still run stock 17" wheels. I truely believe a great driver in both 964 and a 993 cars, the 993 would win every time.
It's amazing what practice will do in these cars and yes new tires do make a difference and yes they aren't cheap.

To further handicap myself, I made sure I bought a 1995 993 so that I was spotting my fellow 993 drivers 18 hp due to the varioram issue. Oh well, I am in this to have fun, beat my last times and if I can get in front of some class "D" drivers, icing on the cake.

Bring all those "D" class cars which "aren't competitive" according to some to Roebling next month and let's have some fun.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:33 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am holding PCA responsible for my sexual disfunction after being told I had a small motor. I am scared for life.
Good one Bill!

I am considering the Roebling race as well, but times are tight...it was an expensive year!

Just returned from Roebling...took the Sports Toyota and the weather was perfect - had a blast.

If I figure out how to squeeze blood out of a turnip, I'll see you all there!
Old 11-14-2003, 08:41 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well the verdict is in from National. You need 100% of the mods required to meet the model you are racing as. Thats the rule regardless if the mod helps or hurts performance. Make an exception for one car and 1000 others will follow. "See Honey, I MUST have a 3.8 Cup motor that throws 4 foot flames out the exhaust". Who knows maybe I will win a few races!

I hope all the GT2 cars stay at home for Roebling Road.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:36 AM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Bill
is that your FATHER hosting the HISTORY CHANNEL'S hit show "MAIL CALL"? He sure resembles you and is completely "GUNG HO"!

I know that are you going 3.8Liter with all the ORDNANCE you can get. Its going to get even uglier for 2004. I have supplied all your exhaust stuff to date ...........and you have gone faster & faster. After you get your engine tranny package completed.........just drop the car off at my place. I will dyno the car and make sure its 100%.

BUT for your wifes sanity and for your own self protection........... I am going to call my BUDDY that manufactures GO KART attenuators........and I am wiring it in and its going to be hidden like a LOW JACK! It will drive you mad!
Fabs

PS Rafael Llopiz Metro New York---- just bought a 1994 3.6 C2 Turbo "S" a former Brumos Supercar Challenge backup car...........he will OWN C stock for as long as he wants. Ask the veterans about Rafael.........he is notorious is literally TONY MONTANA and we are all Cocka Roaches.
LOL
have a great day
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 11-14-2003, 11:04 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

No reason a 3.6 Turbo should run away with C. He has to race a 3274# or 9.22 # per pony. That car probably gains big power from exhaust work which our cars do not. Even if he is 375hp @ 3274 and I am 310 @ 2800... close enough. If I lift later, limit the wheel input and I am gone while he is waiting for his tubos to spool up. What is that white CVR C 911 rocket ship that won the Glen and Lime Rock? That car has 30% more power than any stock car. The GT2R's were holding him up

Joe, You racing Sebring or is your car strictly a show car now? Can I rent your 3.8 for Roebling Road?

We can cruise over to Palm Beach after the Sebring race and run a foot race.

I may drive the 993 down to break in the new cyl kits.

Old 11-14-2003, 11:31 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Bill, You have a PM.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:48 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

He got Hans Stuck BRUMOS 550HP ANDIAL winning racecar.......its smackdown time,.

Quick Reply: DQ'ed, motor too small