Sponsored by:

DQ'ed, motor too small

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003 | 04:27 PM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jim;

Are you going to let me school off of you again? Still in D or are you moving?
Old 11-11-2003 | 04:27 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

I did the same thing after Sebring. It got so ugly that the our Zone rep asked me to back off.
Old 11-11-2003 | 09:04 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by bill walczak
Good point. Their efforts should be directed at keeping big reds painted black and a hopped up 3.8s out of "D".
Don't know about the big reds, Bill. That white 996 TT at CMP had 8 piston F40 Brembos on it and the scruts didn't say anything about it. The car ran in B the whole event. I think he finished 2nd out of 2 B cars, so no one protested him.

Karl
Old 11-11-2003 | 09:07 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Agreed that they usually only check where the competition is hot. I guess the TT guy could say he's running as a gt2 or something, which has close to the f40 brakes and is still in B.
Old 11-11-2003 | 11:42 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Even the GT2/GT3 calipers are only 6 piston and use a two pads per caliper. These bad boys were 8 piston and were so big, they require 4 pads per caliper - an upper and lower on each side of the rotor. The friggin' things had a swept area that looked like it covered at least 1/3 of the rotor surface. I looked at the brakes on a GT3 RS and they looked puny in comparison. No Porsche logo on them either - they couldn't have been more blatant. But the scruts never noticed them, can you believe it?

Karl
Old 11-11-2003 | 11:50 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

oh yeah i saw those bad boys as well, definitely not stock. I don't know how the scruts didn't see them.
Old 11-12-2003 | 08:10 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

A lot of good they did the guy if he finished 2 out of 2. They probably didn't want to put him in gt-1s.
Old 11-12-2003 | 08:19 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was one of two C cars that passed that 996TT with 2 laps to go. The owner has some racing experience but slow through the twisties. He finished 4th overall with the C cars between him and the 2003 GT2.
Old 11-12-2003 | 11:42 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Believe it or not, PCA does listen, probably more so than many other sanctioning bodies, simply because they are smaller and single marque specific. I would love to see an intelligent, well though out proposal, for a protest committee. Maybe there has been one already, but I never saw mention of it in CRN. Either way, being told 'no' once or twice doesn't cut it with me. However, random thoughts on a web forum won't get us very far in changing the tide within PCA. While I am a Zone Rep, I am also a racer (and my racing job pays me a bit more than being Zone Rep who would appreciate having an avenue to protest a ruling/decision by a Scrutinner or Steward, above and beyond the normal annual rules committee process.

In defense of Club Racing, with the exception of Susan Shire (who is the best, btw), everyone is a volunteer. Since Club Racing is a tiny organization compared to other sanctioning bodies, there are only so many scruts and stewards to send to each race, not everyone who is cheating, blatant or not, gets caught. Yeah, it pisses me off when I see someone blatantly cheating, but I remember that I'm in this for fun and if I find someone to race with, that's more important to me than if I finish on the podium.

Anyways, if someone wants to send me that proposal, I would be happy to take it to National and assist in bringing it up for discussion and hopefully, approval.
Old 11-12-2003 | 12:01 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jim Newman suggested this as well and it is needed for sure. Sailboat racing has many similarities to PCA club racing with the classes and has a protest protocol. Talking to the National Scruts is a bit frustrating as they cannot be expected to know every variation of every Porsche model. All we need is 4 or 5 people to sit on a board and decide what is acceptable and what is not. I would be willing to participate, I will practice on my case

I think I have my bride talked into the 3.8 kit so my issue will go away.
Old 11-12-2003 | 12:31 PM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by bill walczak
I think I have my bride talked into the 3.8 kit so my issue will go away.
Bill,

You are THE salesman of the year if you get away with the upgrade. Either sales at home or with boats!

I think though I take the Salesman of the last century when you consider I got my wife to agree to marry me in 1985. I hope she never finds out there are a few better than me out there!
Old 11-12-2003 | 01:50 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Manny Alban

Anyways, if someone wants to send me that proposal, I would be happy to take it to National and assist in bringing it up for discussion and hopefully, approval.
Thank you for the offer. Being in my first year of Club Racing I too have found Susan to be a sweetheart and a great person. However regarding the listening part I'm not so sure...I have sent 2 emails which were unanswered regarding my issues.
One was regarding my stock D class 993 which simply does not make weight at 3060 quoted anyway I look at it with all the safety mods on it. I had to add 40 pounds of weight which brings me at half tank at 3060 and now I have to add more weight... In any case the issue of weight is very subjective and for me if they want to equalize the field they should have a minimum weight per class WITH the driver in it. I know I'm getting penalized for my weight but especially with Porsche stated weight not always being accurate and with the mods you HAVE to do it would be very easy for PCA to make this rule stick. it would also even out the field considerably in each class with HP/weight ratios which would make for great racing within the class.

Also I agree with Bill that it does not make really much sence if you want to run prepared at C not to be able to use the RS weight as part of the prepared modification! Its the same as big reds, boxes etc. Its really an "upgrade"! While PCA has stated publicly on one of their Club Racing issues that they do not care about the money issue, lets be realistic... 17K for an engine is a lot of money and WE the racers do care... Furthermore what would be the real issue with a prepared 993 running with less HP? By penalizing the stock 3.6's to run full weight it gives a further advantage to the RS cars! It does not make much sence to me really...

So there these were my proposals, thank you for asking!
Old 11-12-2003 | 02:06 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

According to the PCA "D" car list a 993 is the LEAST competitive car for the class @ 11.35# per pony. Several E cars are in the mid 10's (# per hp). On the other hand PCA can't make sure we are all "equal". That is up to the driver to get his car in the most competitive legal form. By backdating to a RS and getting the weight/flywheel/gears... the 993 is great machine within its class. As a D car it does not have a chance in a competitive field. (Sorry Mac, I know you are the exception
Old 11-12-2003 | 02:16 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

First off, I do care where I finish. We all have competitive spirits and its better to win than lose, even if we are out there for fun. Next, I did make the proposal to PCA for an advisory board after Sebring. It feel on deaf ears.
Old 11-12-2003 | 02:27 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

While it is inappropriate for the scuts to let the 3.6 thing slide for a couple races then DQ you all of the sudden, I can see why they might have a problem with letting some one run as an RS without the 3.8. The best example that comes to mind is the 944 S2's in F stock. They have one of the highest lb/hp ratios in comparison to other F cars, yet they are winning on a routine basis.
I don't have the torque and hp graphs for the 3.6 or 3.8, but the cars with the smaller motors may have an inadvertent advantage with more useable hp or torque.

Just my 2 pennies

-Phil Gilsdorf

BTW. I ran with Bill all weekend and didn't see him pull away from the other RS's on the straights or out of the corners, he was definitely slower on the straights.

Quick Reply: DQ'ed, motor too small