Sponsored by:

Do you race in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 09:40 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
simple answer, yes I do, I enjoy it and have been quite successful at it. BUT, my decision depends on who will be around me at the track.

The biggest issue is not if you can drive in the wet and properly control your inputs and thus your car, it is if the other guys can also do it.
This is where my mind is going at this point, as well. Would PCA club races be ok, in your opinion?

I've enjoyed it (in Skippy's cars) and it has increased my chances of winning there. Plan to have a rains set for SPB next season and decide on the spot. It could be a good risk arbitrage play if a lot of drivers OVER-estimate the risks of racing in the rain or are not comfortable straddling the limit with randomly changing grip conditions.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:11 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 526 Posts

In PCA Club Racing the no-contact policy an 13/13 rule makes people relatively risk averse when racing in the rain, however it sometimes does not prevent some folks trying to beat the laws of physics. What you will find is that at the front of the grid there is usually a great sense of co-existence amongst racers. Sometimes not so much in the middle of the field. In essence, it depends on where you qualify.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:36 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
This is where my mind is going at this point, as well. Would PCA club races be ok, in your opinion?
(let me first put an umbrella over my head for the shower of shyte that might rain over me)

If your experience is like what I saw at Sebring a couple of years ago, NO.

It was painful to see cars bouncing off the walls at the front straight like they were pin-*****. Since I didn't know the other drivers well, I stayed in during that session. Glad I did.

However, I must go back to my original post. It all depends on who the other drivers are (and any of us can make mistakes)

13/13 is there to help reign in the red mist but it exists for a reason
Old 12-09-2016, 12:23 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I typically don't but I did the WRL COTA Enduro in the rain this past weekend. It was interesting being my first w2w race, an enduro, at COTA (which I have lots of lap at), being on track with 77 other cars plus I had never driven the car at all (ex koni challenge ST boxster) before this race which made it interesting.

The lap times were very slow and lots of slipping/sliding and lots of contact in a non-contact series. It was a ton of fun except when my windshield completely fogged on the first day and I was driving blind for about 5 laps. Luckily I didn't hit anything or anyone and ran pretty competitive laps against the leaders/field during my stint. I can say I definitely enjoy driving in the dry much more.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:28 PM
MSTACH
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Racing, no DE.

When I raced mx-5 with skippy, I raced rain or shine -- even won a couple of rain races. I've heard from some racers I respect that racing their own car in the rain is not worth the risks for them. Hence this thread.
Don't listen to Bela 😂😂😂
Old 12-11-2016, 06:54 PM
TFBoxster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Absolutely... but maybe if some nit-wit keeps telling me how wrong my decision is I will finally WAKE UP and see what an idiot I have been!
You appear to have forgotten your condescending reply aimed at my first post.

My comment comes from experience of meeting drivers with similar attitudes who have misunderstood the potential risks in the dry. Hence my comment. Maybe I'm wrong in your case, however I fail to see why it required 2 insults from you?
Old 12-11-2016, 07:54 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I typically don't but I did the WRL COTA Enduro in the rain this past weekend. It was interesting being my first w2w race, an enduro, at COTA (which I have lots of lap at), being on track with 77 other cars plus I had never driven the car at all (ex koni challenge ST boxster) before this race which made it interesting.

The lap times were very slow and lots of slipping/sliding and lots of contact in a non-contact series. It was a ton of fun except when my windshield completely fogged on the first day and I was driving blind for about 5 laps. Luckily I didn't hit anything or anyone and ran pretty competitive laps against the leaders/field during my stint. I can say I definitely enjoy driving in the dry much more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or8Cb_Tq9eg&t=33s

That was a hell of an experience. I too, couldn't see a thing Saturday. Spent 1.75 hours of my stint with a squeegee in my hand - clearing the windshield between shifts.
Which Boxster were you in?
Old 12-11-2016, 09:14 PM
jaundice
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve
He was one of the drivers of my car.
Brandon.

Name:  image-2070716452.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  313.2 KB
Old 12-11-2016, 09:21 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by TFBoxster
You appear to have forgotten your condescending reply aimed at my first post.

My comment comes from experience of meeting drivers with similar attitudes who have misunderstood the potential risks in the dry. Hence my comment. Maybe I'm wrong in your case, however I fail to see why it required 2 insults from you?
I'm a slow learner, maybe you need 3? F you and what you think you know... I PAY for my mistakes and fully realize what I am gambling with. My advice to you is to stop assuming you are smarter than ANY here, but that's just my humble take on it. I don't care if you run an F1 team, means spit to me, until you want to pay my bills you have 0 input, until then your opinion means nothing..
Old 12-11-2016, 10:39 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jaundice
Steve
He was one of the drivers of my car.
Brandon.

Attachment 1116266

cool. Didn't Know you had a 4th.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:54 AM
MoD
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Its always a tough call. Years ago, I would have said heck ya...... rain was such a great way to get a fast result compared to competition, but sadly I can not afford to wreck the car and quickly build another one so for me it's a tough call. So many times, even if you are driving with your wits someone else can quickly cause an incident that totals your car. We get a little sticker at the end of the race weekend, and that is becoming less and less motivating to risk totaling my car and throwing away the hours of work it took to afford it.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:20 AM
TFBoxster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I'm a slow learner, maybe you need 3? F you and what you think you know... I PAY for my mistakes and fully realize what I am gambling with. My advice to you is to stop assuming you are smarter than ANY here, but that's just my humble take on it. I don't care if you run an F1 team, means spit to me, until you want to pay my bills you have 0 input, until then your opinion means nothing..
People were asked for their opinions, I offered mine and you responded.

As people would say near where I'm from "Chill your beans mate!" Sounds like you need a beer

Quick Reply: Do you race in the rain?