Sponsored by:

COTA: Why didn't I stick the landing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 05:32 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I know that but had he executed better way before that he would not have had to catch the car
What is that saying? Something like: "I use my good judgement in order to avoid having to use my awesome car control skills."

-Mike
Old 09-07-2016, 06:13 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,691 Likes on 873 Posts

Mike, listen to when you go to throttle just before you spin. Way early for the severity of the corner. That means you were already off brakes
Old 09-07-2016, 06:16 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I like how you didn't try to save it once you knew it was gone, and it just span around and stop kinda like a 911/cayman. I see often BMWs going into the wall with opposite lock trying to save it. So yea, maybe you were too slow to react in first place but you turned it into a pretty drama free spin.

I like saying that applies pretty much to life..."it's not the first mistake that gets you in trouble...
Old 09-07-2016, 06:42 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

very true. it reminds me of what we do when we try and get loose on a rainy day. but the hands have to match the rear end. But yes, the gas-on entry was the smokin gun

I know that but had he executed better way before that he would not have had to catch the car
Old 09-07-2016, 06:46 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXE36
Thank you for the kind words, but I can assure you lifting too abruptly or at the wrong time can cause a lift over steer - not nearly as dramatic as an old school 911, but it is there. In fact I often make slight adjustments with small lifts to get the car to rotate more.

I see that too and one of my challenges is not lifting when the back end gets funny - I instinctively lift when this happens. What you see in the data is my conscious mind overriding this and putting the throttle back down. It is a very hard habit for me to break. I did something similar nearly 5 years ago in the street E36 M3:

T2 TWS on track spin

-Mike
the lift may or may not have caused this step out, but adding the gas after the lift, did you in. you can hear the gas and the additional spin that just took the rear out from under you . still, more steering input , earlier will save this situation.

Originally Posted by NYC993
I like how you didn't try to save it once you knew it was gone, and it just span around and stop kinda like a 911/cayman. I see often BMWs going into the wall with opposite lock trying to save it. So yea, maybe you were too slow to react in first place but you turned it into a pretty drama free spin.

I like saying that applies pretty much to life..."it's not the first mistake that gets you in trouble...
ive seen more BMWs go backward into the wall after trying to save this kind of initial mistake. what is interesting is, as you say, his lack of steering input, made the rear end NOT go toward (what is usually an inside wall) because he was still steering relatively straight. full correction and riding it out, usually ends badly. however, both feet in after the back comes around is usually best, but rarely executed.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:48 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

One last comment here that might help...you initiated a trail brake into the turn, but released it and added gas before even the apex... thats how you actually, try, and put the rear end outward. (but you can catch this with equal and opposite steering at the exact same rate. if you think about the tail of the car, tied to a string to your steering wheel, you will NEVER loop the car again. its almost impossible to spin when doing this.

so , yes, you trail braked, but released too early and actually added gas when the rear was starting to lose adhesion.

trail braking does too things. it helps to rotate the car and gives a longer slowing distance to navigate the turn by using the brakes WHILE actually turning in. too much brake bias can cause the rear end to slide a little, thats where keeping the revs up and allowing the LSD to do its thing also helps. (you were not at a bad RPM range so that isnt the cause)
when you approached the apex and released the brakes the car is near grip edge.. you added gas while still increasing steering angle and the back end just said "i give up" and slid...... quick hands or even just anticipation would have caught this, but hey, now you know.

Yes, you were trail braking well in the other video.

Now, look at the screen shots. same spot.. notice the difference??
one you are going faster AND adding more throttle with equal steering angle.
result = spin
other PB lap, no spin
going slower, no gas.
(updated with exact position screen shots)

Originally Posted by TXE36
Really? Maybe my definition of trail braking is wrong - I thought it was applying the brakes while turning the car. Perhaps I should be using more brakes at the early part of the turn in? The lap below is my PB where it looks to me like I trail brake most of the turns. Is that wrong?

PB 2:45.05

I know the corner is more than 90 degrees and my aim point was always behind the orange pyramid. In fact if you compare the spin video to the PB video it does look like an early apex - I think you are right that is the cause right there. In the PB video, the apex is just behind the pyramid, in the spin it is right at the pyramid.

I tried that earlier in the day and it just felt wrong. It seemed to upset the car, so I limited apex curbs to the hairpins. Had I had more time, I might have tried them again on Sunday. I even made a few passes between T8 and T9 straddling the right hand curb and it still felt wrong.

That said, on Sunday, the SRF definitely didn't like them for example in T2. On each curb bump the car skittered to the left a tiny bit. In that car it was really obvious.

-Mike
Attached Images   

Last edited by mark kibort; 09-08-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:50 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
This is no 911, too much throttle is what caused the rear end to step out, so easing off the throttle a touch in combination with reducing the steering angle slightly can reduce the amount of traction being required by the rear wheels and step the back end right back in line. In 7 years driving the e36, can not say I have ever encountered a lift oversteer situation, but maybe easing off versus lifting is why.... Not telling Mike anything he doesn't already know, he has 5 times as much seat time as I do, and is a hell of a driver compared to me.

Always a bit of a dance trying to get on throttle with a car that rotates so easily. NOT in any way like my 911 that NEEDS throttle input to plant the rear and rocket out!

If you look at the throttle indicator, it appears that throttle input spikes just AFTER rotation starts...
I agree with your assessment. Once the rear tires lose traction continued throttle doesn't help to "weigh down" rear. The communication is lost at that point. Clearly the hands are too slow but so is the right foot.

I think back to driving the skid pad. To induce a drift I abruptly lift and then hammer the gas and release and catch the wheel...the drift starts and then I am only working the throttle to stay in it. As soon as I let up a smidge, the rear catches and then I quickly have to correct steering.

I think Mike's video and spin employ the same physics. Once his butt sensed the loss of traction, a quick lift and steering correction would've allowed him to "stick the landing."
Old 09-11-2016, 12:43 AM
RyanZ06
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Got any video of me in my E36 M3 LTW?
Old 09-11-2016, 01:07 AM
RyanZ06
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Take DLS up on his offer to help oyu out with your car... From what I saw in the short period as i was getting by you, you were over driving the car and on the throtttle way too early every where... I was doing 2:32 in my E36 on NT01's.. I switched to new hankooks on sunday and ran a 2:30 but only got 3-4 laps before car was running on 5 cyl and i was done for the weekend I think 2:27-2:28 is possible. I was hoping to get video also, but the RAM mount I was using for my iphone is surprisingly unstable while bouncing over all those curbs at cota
Old 09-11-2016, 09:16 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by RyanZ06
Take DLS up on his offer to help oyu out with your car... From what I saw in the short period as i was getting by you, you were over driving the car and on the throtttle way too early every where... I was doing 2:32 in my E36 on NT01's.. I switched to new hankooks on sunday and ran a 2:30 but only got 3-4 laps before car was running on 5 cyl and i was done for the weekend I think 2:27-2:28 is possible. I was hoping to get video also, but the RAM mount I was using for my iphone is surprisingly unstable while bouncing over all those curbs at cota
Really!?!? Nobody has ever said that about my driving. In fact, I've had a lot of people tell me that I need to up my aggression. Definitely food for thought.

Where you in the white E36? If so, you were flying except when I got by you on the back straight with your fist out the window - I wondered what went wrong with the car. Bad coil?

-Mike
Old 09-18-2016, 09:35 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Mike, you need to spend a day with me to learn how to drive my old car.

From the video, looks like you didn't trail brake at all (the car's strength) and went to gas way too soon, way before the car had even rotated half way.
Mike, listen to when you go to throttle just before you spin. Way early for the severity of the corner. That means you were already off brakes
Originally Posted by RyanZ06
Take DLS up on his offer to help oyu out with your car... From what I saw in the short period as i was getting by you, you were over driving the car and on the throtttle way too early every where...
Bingo! Your responses got me thinking "Hmm, my throttle timing is like that a lot - not just when I spin the car. Had an epiphany when I was bedding in the new rotors at TWS this weekend and paid particular attention to when I was getting on the throttle and ensured that I waited until the apex. The timing difference is small, likely something like 250ms. While I was driving "slow" I turned a 2:03, which for me is a "hot lap". It was a holy **** moment and by the end of the "slow session" I had set a new PB. By Sunday afternoon I knocked 1.1 seconds of my previous PB driving laps that were drama free and likely the highest quality I've ever driven -- and there is still more on the table! I thought I was way past the time where over second could be gained in a single weekend.

Processing the video and data now and will start a new thread. Spinning Bad Girl in T20 at COTA appears to have been very profitable thanks to the responses here.

Back from the COTA PB thread two weeks ago:
Originally Posted by surlynkid
Mike,
SierraLima will be quicker and will still want to be a rabbit. That'll shave some time for you. You caught her at MSRH but she just shaved 0.7 sec off her PB.
She is in the new PB video. Yes, she is quicker, but so am I. It was good to see you guys.

-Mike
Old 11-14-2016, 05:33 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Another great PB weekend posted here. Amazing what I learned from this spin and RL thread.

-Mike

Quick Reply: COTA: Why didn't I stick the landing?