Barber Video/Data

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 08:50 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
That is an amazingly fast track.... do you even have to have brakes ??? i cant see very many spots to pass a near equal car ...
While I like Barber and think it is a great "technical exercise," it is not very fast at all, in terms of terminal velocity. In my spec class, Sports 2000, it's easier to pass than many because of the 60' WIDTH in a few places, plus people that have a better idea than others how to string together the last five turns have a pronounced advantage.

I learned how to drive it on an rFactor simulation in the spring of 2003, shortly after the track opened.

It poured on the grid just as our slick-shod cars arrived to the five-minute mark. Started seventh out of a few dozen, fell off the first lap at Turn 5 (hydroplaned) and passed first place into T1 on the last lap to win the race. Really fun place and rewarding for smart drivers.

Fun to drive a historic F1 car in the 1:21-22 range around here...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-09-2016, 04:11 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
While I like Barber and think it is a great "technical exercise," it is not very fast at all, in terms of terminal velocity. In my spec class, Sports 2000, it's easier to pass than many because of the 60' WIDTH in a few places, plus people that have a better idea than others how to string together the last five turns have a pronounced advantage.

I learned how to drive it on an rFactor simulation in the spring of 2003, shortly after the track opened.

It poured on the grid just as our slick-shod cars arrived to the five-minute mark. Started seventh out of a few dozen, fell off the first lap at Turn 5 (hydroplaned) and passed first place into T1 on the last lap to win the race. Really fun place and rewarding for smart drivers.

yeah, i should have been more clear. when i was speaking of fast, i meant, no hard braking areas, which are classic passing zones.. but yes, there are spots where the succession of compound turns gives an advantage for someone to get a nose in, but it relies on someone backing out, which is not as easy as the tracks with the hard braking zones.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:16 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v4.0
I also figured Andrew Davis ought to know his way around Barber but all this video really tells you is how to stay out of trouble and that's it's hard to pass there.
PWC 2016 Barber Onboard Highlights - Andrew Davis #76 GT - YouTube
He just pushed PD into the grass on his pass attempt, didnt he!
Old 08-09-2016, 09:14 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the correct turn map for this track. The one NASA showed us last weekend didn't have a 7a. It was just 7,8,9 at museum, 10/11 in the high speed ess, 12 at the end of the back straight 13 tunnel, 14 sweeper, then one outside had 15 AND 16 as pit in and then 17 as the last turn onto the straight.

Never seen so many different track turn numerations for the same track configuration.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:20 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
What is the correct turn map for this track. The one NASA showed us last weekend didn't have a 7a. It was just 7,8,9 at museum, 10/11 in the high speed ess, 12 at the end of the back straight 13 tunnel, 14 sweeper, then one outside had 15 AND 16 as pit in and then 17 as the last turn onto the straight. Never seen so many different track turn numerations for the same track configuration.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...s_Park.svg.png
Old 08-09-2016, 09:37 PM
wanna911
Race Car

This is from Barber's website. I think this is the one they have posted outside by the elevator. Which isn't even the same as the one they have inside the meeting/viewing room.

https://barbermotorsports.com/tyfoon...Indy%20Map.pdf
Old 08-09-2016, 09:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

That's hilarious
Old 08-09-2016, 10:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I like the PSDS map. But that has T16 leading onto the front straight!

Here's a good one. With data.
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2016, 01:41 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Got any video?
Old 08-10-2016, 08:47 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fbirch
Got any video?
Nope, but plenty of data!
Old 08-11-2016, 12:34 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Here is a video from the recent NASA weekend at Barber, showing two cars that are relatively close in capability, and the difficulty of passing at Barber. I think Barber is one of the nicest DE tracks out there (the grounds look like a manicured country club, an over-the-top motorsports museum on site, etc.), and I like to watch the pros race there, but it seems as if it would be a frustrating place to drive a race if you found yourself stuck behind someone who was 0.5% slower than you. BTW, I'm new to racing and have never raced there, so I have no firsthand racing experience at Barber.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:18 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I believe that the 15 turn map was what was originally used at Barber. The 17 turn map is based on corner stations and used by some race organizations. Not sure where the 16 turn map came from, possibly PSDS.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:31 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lemming
I believe that the 15 turn map was what was originally used at Barber. The 17 turn map is based on corner stations and used by some race organizations. Not sure where the 16 turn map came from, possibly PSDS.
Yes, the 16 turn map is the standard PSDS material.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:54 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Wanna, not sure if you saw this one. Looks as if he does a 1:30 in a single hot lap.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:50 PM
wanna911
Race Car

I have now. Good study material for sure. Timed from exiting the hairpin it was a low 1:29. Interesting that he uses the first curb in the chicane on the back straight vs the second one that most other pro teams use.

Thanks for posting.

Quick Reply: Barber Video/Data