Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cool Shirt - COOL-A-CLAVA - NOW AVAILABLE!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 05:07 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Cool Shirt - COOL-A-CLAVA - NOW AVAILABLE!

Our first stock order of these are due mid next week. Here's the link to pre-order!

The Cool-A-Clava is designed to provide head cooling by being inserted up into the helmet and connecting to the users existing shirt.

http://www.apexperformance.net/Cool-...ava_p_785.html

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 07-16-2016, 06:38 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 695 Likes on 337 Posts

Clark just ordered mine my brain feels cooler already
Rich
Old 07-16-2016, 02:58 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm using a DIY 1/8" coiled tubes in my helmet with dedicated coolbox feed (one for shirt and one for helmet) which works well but this looks to be an improvement.

Couple of questions- It's a bladder that disperses the water across the top of the head (not just though the tubes itself? The tubing is OD 1/4"?
Old 07-16-2016, 06:41 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Cool-a-Clava specs

The ends are 1/4" fittings so I assume the tubing is also 1/4". We have not actually received these yet but the prototype I saw at the PRI show was a thin piece of fabric that was totally cool - not just a few tubes running through it. I believe this is the same thing.

The user is responsible for getting double sided tape or velcro to attach it to the inside of their helmet for installation.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:54 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,477 Likes on 2,072 Posts

Linda or Clark, I'm assuming based on the design that the it supposed to be on the top of the head and run down to the back of the neck?

Is a 2nd cool box required or how would you use it with an existing unit with shirt?
Old 07-16-2016, 08:19 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by CFGT3
Linda or Clark, I'm assuming based on the design that the it supposed to be on the top of the head and run down to the back of the neck?

Is a 2nd cool box required or how would you use it with an existing unit with shirt?
From the link in the first post:

Instructions:
1) Insert Cool-A-Clava up into helmet. We recommend using double sided tape or Velcro to hold it in place. The Cool-A-Clava should be checked for comfort before using tape or Velcro to hold in place.
2) Once the Cool-A-Clava is in the helmet, place helmet on head just the way you normally would. Keep the hoses coming off of the product out of the way. You want the hoses to come out at the base of the helmet in the back of the head.
3) Once in the car, route the Cool-A-Clava hoses so that they do not interfere with any other safety equipment. The hoses will be routed down to your shirt. If using only the Cool-A-Clava you can route the hoses to your hose coming off of the cooler.
4) Plug the male fitting from the product into the female fitting of the hose coming from your cooler. Plug the female fitting from the product into one of the male fittings from your shirt. Plug the other male fitting from the shirt into the other female fitting on the hose coming from your cooler.
5) Turn the cooler on. It will pump the water through both the shirt and Cool-A-Clava.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:02 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

cool! order placed!
Old 07-17-2016, 12:56 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Order placed. Will make cota in August much nicer
Old 07-17-2016, 09:31 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Great idea, but... seems to me that this would indicate the shirt and helmet are plumbed in series, then? So, depending on how they're attached, either the shirt now gets warmer water, or the helmet/head will not get fully cold water?

I'd be more into a version with a tee fitting to split the water flow between helmet and shirt (not sure if a flow restrictor for balancing would be needed as well). I know that can't be hard to rig up with the right fittings, just... seems like a preferred method, if not as simple...
Old 07-17-2016, 10:11 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
The ends are 1/4" fittings so I assume the tubing is also 1/4". We have not actually received these yet but the prototype I saw at the PRI show was a thin piece of fabric that was totally cool - not just a few tubes running through it. I believe this is the same thing
Does the manufacturer say anything about the effect of adding this to the flow through the shirt?
Old 07-17-2016, 11:17 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Great idea, but... seems to me that this would indicate the shirt and helmet are plumbed in series, then? So, depending on how they're attached, either the shirt now gets warmer water, or the helmet/head will not get fully cold water?

I'd be more into a version with a tee fitting to split the water flow between helmet and shirt (not sure if a flow restrictor for balancing would be needed as well). I know that can't be hard to rig up with the right fittings, just... seems like a preferred method, if not as simple...
Why? The pump output rate doesn't change so you get the same flow rate if they are hooked in parallel or series. The water is still going to be pretty cool going to the head after it goes through the shirt.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:53 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

That'd be the only question, how much warmer is it after going through the shirt... but obviously YMMV!
Old 07-17-2016, 12:01 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
That'd be the only question, how much warmer is it after going through the shirt... but obviously YMMV!
Yeah, I get a little added cooling running the hoses out through the fly instead of the pocket though.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:26 AM
COOLSHIRT_Jeremy
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, you all have some great questions here. We actually looked into doing a tee fitting instead of running this product in line and it wound up being too cumbersome. The issue with a tee fitting is that it adds another connection to worry about and some additional expense. If you really want to run both a shirt and Cool-A-Clava as separate garments then you can always use a Y-hose to do so. Our recommendation is to run both garments in a series with the cooler supplying the shirt first. This will give you the most bang for your buck. The temperature difference in the water before and after the shirt is minimal. It does depend on body type and temperature but we usually see a 3-5 degree difference. I don't think you will have any issues with the Cool-A-Clava not being cold enough for you. In our testing we have actually seen the opposite with people having to turn the pump down to keep from being too cold.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2016, 02:36 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great, thanks for clarifying that!

Quick Reply: Cool Shirt - COOL-A-CLAVA - NOW AVAILABLE!