Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cool Shirt - COOL-A-CLAVA - NOW AVAILABLE!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 02:33 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I tried mine at the chump race at cota. Unfortunately the session I had it on also had the cool suit system not working.

I will say that it's cumbersome and awkward. Good idea but not a very good execution. I might try the balaclava trick mentioned here but I wouldn't use this unless doing hour plus stints in 100 degree wether
Old 08-21-2016, 12:20 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what I do:
1. Place Cool-a- clava in helmet (I never perm mounted it)
2. Slide helmet on
3. Make sure hoses come over my left shoulder from the rear
4. Put HANS on and route hoses over the HANS and left shoulder
5. Jump into car, and put on all belts (shoulder belts loosely)
6. Make sure hoses are not kinked under left shoulder belt
7. I plug in just cool shirt first to make sure water is flowing
8. Once water is flowing, I connect the Cool-a-clava to shirt/system.
9. If you do not feel flow, push up on your helmet to gain clearance to get water flowing in helmet.
10. Sit back and enjoy the cool water that is 1000x better than a helmet blower!

It may seem like alot of steps, but it only takes a couple minutes and is WELL worth the added hassle.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:41 PM
wellcoached
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Make sure the tubes are not bent to 90 degree angle where they exit helmet. This will stop the water flow even if it is full.
You want a straight exit ftom the helmet with both tubes- no bends .
Old 08-22-2016, 12:49 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Is the pic in post 17 bending the tubing too much to flow well?
Old 08-22-2016, 11:10 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used it at a DE where I was not using a race suit and it was not super hot. It was like a ice cream brain freeze, except that it did not stop. I would have liked to cycle it off without also killing the shirt. Something making it independently controllable would be desirable. I'd pay for a manifold with a separate valve to this device.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:31 AM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

i use a momo shirt with my cool suit cooler. the hookups are fast compatible on the momo. i used the coolclava last week. i concur, at the start it is brain freezish. i run my shirt hoses out of the left side of my suit just above the waist belt. i used the balaclava trick, putting the "sanitary napkin" on my head, then putting on the balaclava and adjusting the cooler. i ran the lines down the back of my suit and hooked into my shirt lines...one i left inside my suit, the other needed to run outside to plug into the car. i ordered some additional line and connectors from mcmaster carr and will get the lines adjusted to the proper length. works well, but some slight mods will likely come along. one built into a balaclava is the most obvious ones.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:10 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull_D
. works well, but some slight mods will likely come along. one built into a balaclava is the most obvious ones.
TG version launching at PRI.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 08-22-2016, 06:18 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Just tested mine out in the workshop. I can confirm that the affect is not subtle. I think it may be wise to plumb it through the shirt first and then the helmet rather than the other way around. Having the water a little warmer when it hits your helmet may be a good thing.

I should add that I've not tested it while driving. It may be that once you start generating more heat, the significant cooling may be a very good thing.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:23 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I ran it for the entire weekend at NJMP. It is freezing regardless of whether its through shirt first. And it is almost too cold, but once the race started it was fine. A PIA, but definitely worth it. Was so glad that I got it.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:25 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mglobe
Just tested mine out in the workshop. I can confirm that the affect is not subtle. I think it may be wise to plumb it through the shirt first and then the helmet rather than the other way around. Having the water a little warmer when it hits your helmet may be a good thing.
Absolutely...that's the way we designed it. Once you establish which line is the incoming water, just put a piece of red tape on it or something. Then hook up to your shirt, then to the device, the back to the box. Otherwise, too much for your noggin. We wanted to create a cooler environment in the helmet without trying to cool the scalp directly. That's why we just used the male and female connectors instead of using a y-pipe, etc. Thanks..good point!
Old 08-22-2016, 06:46 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
TG version launching at PRI.
so there will be somethign like this already built into a balaclava?

I would be tempted to put an extra pump/pwm in my box to drive the head independent of the shirt. should be easy to do.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:56 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dizzyj
so there will be somethign like this already built into a balaclava?

I would be tempted to put an extra pump/pwm in my box to drive the head independent of the shirt. should be easy to do.
Yes sir. It was the intention all along to have two different versions. Same device. Couldn't design the hood until we got this part done correctly though. Working on it now.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:29 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Yes sir. It was the intention all along to have two different versions. Same device. Couldn't design the hood until we got this part done correctly though. Working on it now.
Good news. Anyone want to buy a once used cool a clava?
Old 08-23-2016, 02:39 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I did not have most of the issues described. Perhaps because I have dedicated lines for it they just hang down my back under the Hans- I tuck the plugs in into the right pocket then plug in after I belt up. I'm getting equally cold water to both shirt and helmet but at no time was it too cold (and I use block ice). As it comes on it sort of squeezes the head but gently (and coolly).

There will be some races I will only run it and even then cycle on and off.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:16 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dizzyj
Good news. Anyone want to buy a once used cool a clava?
Originally Posted by Ritter v4.0
I did not have most of the issues described. Perhaps because I have dedicated lines for it they just hang down my back under the Hans- I tuck the plugs in into the right pocket then plug in after I belt up. I'm getting equally cold water to both shirt and helmet but at no time was it too cold (and I use block ice). As it comes on it sort of squeezes the head but gently (and coolly).

There will be some races I will only run it and even then cycle on and off.
We thought we might get two points of view, so we have two different versions. Each has it's own attributes. I think in the long run, they'll economical enough to have two or at least try both. The version with the SFI balaclava will still be under $200 retail. It's also a different material which some will love, but others will appreciate the stand alone version. We have excellent partners with Coolshirt and we've tried to think this through as best we can to get the best solution for everyone. If you haven't tried it, get one now from Linda and Clark at Apex! They are available and making more. It really is a great solution to cool the most important parts of the body..core and head. Plug and play!

Quick Reply: Cool Shirt - COOL-A-CLAVA - NOW AVAILABLE!