Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cool Shirt - COOL-A-CLAVA - NOW AVAILABLE!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016 | 10:15 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Will I need to change any of the connectors if I have a FAST system, and a Traqgear Podium hosed shirt?
Old 07-24-2016 | 06:12 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Originally Posted by Plavan
Will I need to change any of the connectors if I have a FAST system, and a Traqgear Podium hosed shirt?
Yes. It 's fittings did not match my FAST shirts which are pretty old so I just ordered the right fittings from mcmastercarr.com

I don't know what others have tried but I don't think velcro or 2side tape will work to keep the product in place. I just lay mine in my helmet. I taped the hoses as pictured to my helmet and that seems to keep the thing planted with my head going in and out. Once head is in nothing moves and you can't feel it. The thing kinda folds on itself so some parts are thicker on your head. The cutouts in the thing I guess are to conform to a sphere helmet internal. They really don't but the fabric is thin enough so you don't feel it. I thought this would be a pinch point like your sock folded in your shoe but I can't feel it. I don't think it will last too long but at 100 bucks I'm OK with it. We will see how durable it is. The way I taped it surprisingly does not interfere with HANS.

For logistical reasons I can't try mine with water for a couple of weeks. My engine is out and my garage a mess.
Attached Images   
Old 07-24-2016 | 07:51 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Love the idea. Not quite sure how this hooks up in series. My shirt goes through the zipper under the sub belt and then to the hose coming from the tank. ( some people have a side opening above the lap belt.

To hook up the head piece you would run the hoses from back of neck down to where? All the way to the lap where the shirt hoses connect?

Maybe a whole lot of hose from back of seat under and from there to where the prime hoses come so everything can be hooked up in series?
Don't want to make hooking awkward.

This does seems to call for another hose kit right? You would not want the hoses under any tight belts to avoid compression. Must easy to connect and release. Not get in the way. Etc etc etc The ideal would be to get in and out while still connecting just two hoses: input and output while belting up.

Ease of ingress and egress as well as keeping everything out of the way seems critical

I think the F1 guys have all of this stuff: cooling, comms and body telemetry built into their suits. Makes it easier to do.

Maybe some sample diagrams would help.

Last edited by dan212; 07-24-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-25-2016 | 12:36 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

I just got mine and will try it out at Mosport in a couple of weeks. The hoses are pretty long so I think you have several options for routing.
Old 07-25-2016 | 09:43 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Don't quite follow the plumbing shown in the picture. Looks like the tubing exits the helmet and goes UP?
Can you take a couple more with the Hans down and in place?

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Yes. It 's fittings did not match my FAST shirts which are pretty old so I just ordered the right fittings from mcmastercarr.com

I don't know what others have tried but I don't think velcro or 2side tape will work to keep the product in place. I just lay mine in my helmet. I taped the hoses as pictured to my helmet and that seems to keep the thing planted with my head going in and out. Once head is in nothing moves and you can't feel it. The thing kinda folds on itself so some parts are thicker on your head. The cutouts in the thing I guess are to conform to a sphere helmet internal. They really don't but the fabric is thin enough so you don't feel it. I thought this would be a pinch point like your sock folded in your shoe but I can't feel it. I don't think it will last too long but at 100 bucks I'm OK with it. We will see how durable it is. The way I taped it surprisingly does not interfere with HANS.

For logistical reasons I can't try mine with water for a couple of weeks. My engine is out and my garage a mess.
Old 07-26-2016 | 01:55 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Hoses just hang down to be connected to the cool suit hoses. My pic is just to show who I stabilized the white part by taping the hoses to the back of the helmet. I have not raced this setup yet so I don't know if it works yet. But fitting in the car with hans seems fine.
Old 07-26-2016 | 02:36 PM
dogger15
Racer

I took a little different approach to wearing it. Instead of mounting yet another device to my helmet, I decided to simply place it in my balaclava and put it on. You can put it in your balaclava loosely arranged, put the balaclava on then grab the front of the device placing it where you want while pulling down gently on the hoses to work out any kinks. When done it fits closely to your head (max cooling), and you can put your helmet on without any more drama than before.

Now, I have to figure out how to route the supply and return hoses. Initially, I'm think down around the front between the Hans pads. After that, I'm not sure how to get past the lap belt without pinching the tubing, maybe routing on the side toward the back. A little trial and error will find a solution.
Old 07-26-2016 | 02:48 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Thanks I wondered.
I have been using a DIY 3/16" "coil" in my helmet for the last couple of years. It's tacked in place and the tubes just hang out the bottom against my neck (nice) and fits in the gap between the helmet and the Hans. My coolbox has dual inputs so it plugs in directly.

It works well, but I am hoping with larger tubing and greater surface area this will be better . I will try it this w/e at Barber where it's bound to be hot.

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Hoses just hang down to be connected to the cool suit hoses. My pic is just to show who I stabilized the white part by taping the hoses to the back of the helmet. I have not raced this setup yet so I don't know if it works yet. But fitting in the car with hans seems fine.
Old 07-27-2016 | 08:45 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wife just got hers yesterday - cool! Even if it does look a bit like a water buffalo's panty liner...

Too bad she's not gonna have a chance to use it this year - right after ordering it, had a kitty go sick and so have to cancel her one remaining hot-weather race at Mid-O...

Oh well, next year...
Old 07-30-2016 | 12:13 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Default Wow

These work great. Its ambient 92F here at Barber and you can really feel it.
The effect is not subtle. Well done CS.

ps great service from the guys at CS. Called Thurs for additional plugs- needed them by noon Fri- Fedex ran the doorbell at 9am.

Last edited by Ritter v4.0; 07-30-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-30-2016 | 05:45 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

No, not subtle at all, actually got brain freeze at one point in 100F Thursday at NJMP. It was great! Loved it... Great job!
Old 08-20-2016 | 06:43 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Am using this at NJMP this weekend and its hot here. It actually might be too cold! Works fantastic. The only downside is the tubing. A royal PIA getting in the car and hooking it up and making sure it's clear of your HANS. Also, have to figure out how to mount the tubing coming out of the thing. Now I have a bunch of tape and it looks ridiculous. But it is an amazing product. Everyone knows how hot your head gets - and the possibility of brain fade.
Old 08-20-2016 | 07:49 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

I got one too, and it runs fine all hooked up when I'm not wearing it. As soon as I put my helmet on my head, it stops flowing. Maybe my new helmet is too tight, but it's a drag since it's all one circuit, because then the shirt doesn't get cold either.
Old 08-20-2016 | 11:48 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by linzman
I got one too, and it runs fine all hooked up when I'm not wearing it. As soon as I put my helmet on my head, it stops flowing. Maybe my new helmet is too tight, but it's a drag since it's all one circuit, because then the shirt doesn't get cold either.
You need to let the water fill the thing (for lack of a better word) first. Put on your helmet, but not super tight so that your head is jammed against the thing such that water can not flow through it. Turn on the cool suit and once the water is through (you will feel the thing expanding) you can tighten as much as you want. Had this problem too. Maybe another design flaw that will be fixed? But it really works. It's hot here.
Old 08-20-2016 | 12:47 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Do you users think it would be better having separate lines and dedicated pump to not only make sure the shirt always works but control the temp of the body shirt vs head unit? Also a dedicated circuit would get more water pressure to the head perhaps.

Quick Reply: Cool Shirt - COOL-A-CLAVA - NOW AVAILABLE!