Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NJMP PCA Club Race

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 09:39 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

It's not like this is new. This has been the rule of that track for years. Everyone knows it is part of the racing surface. Everyone knows it is available whether they chose to use it or not is their choice.

Since this rule is so unpopular what can be done about changing the rule at a PCA CR weekend?

So is this a PCA rule/decision? Or a region thing? Or a NJMP rule? Who set the rule to begin with and who has the power to change it?
Old 08-22-2016, 09:42 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
Wouldnt you technically be considered 4 wheels off using that route and therefore per club race rules only able to enter the track without gaining an advantage and only to do so when safe? I realize at speed going through there allows you to renenter the track in much the same way as going wide at turn 1 at WGI, but if they enforced the already written rule there on those that use it, it would discourage its use.

I wont use it myself because its against the spirit of what Club Racing is. I don't want to beat someone because of an unfair advantage or a questionable move. I want to beat them because my car setup was spot on and my driving matched. If I cant win that way I don't deserve to. Whilst I can understand its 'legal' to use, I just don't think its right
+1000

In the previous years, it was always ruled out of bounds. It puzzled me in the drivers meeting when the Stewards were rather vague about it because it's a massive accident waiting to happen unless you clearly rule it that way. The Race Steward sets the rules.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:49 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
In the previous years, it was always ruled out of bounds.
Are you sure about that? I don't think it has ever been ruled out of bounds. I think Clarke is spot on here re rules, although I too would support to not allow it.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:50 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
It's the scrut's decision, not any of ours.
Peter - They declared it a racing surface and as such no call was made. Hopefully that will change for future events because I agree with Matt, it simply isn't right. I know where my vision is going through T1 at the start and its ALWAYS at least two wide through the T1-T2 complex. If your on the inside OR outside you are doing all you can to stay away from/pass the car next to you. You are NOT concentrating on pit out and at best will pick up a car flying by you there in your peripheral vision. I stand by my original statement, it's a total BS move and could easily have ended the race for several people.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:57 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by linzman
Are you sure about that? I don't think it has ever been ruled out of bounds. I think Clarke is spot on here re rules, although I too would support to not allow it.
Yes - in the previous years driver's meetings it was always compared to the track out at T1 Watkins Glen. You can use it but must give way as you re-enter the track.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:15 AM
noturavgm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had lots of fun running the DE and watching the races this weekend. Some excellent SPB pirouettes in T5

Anyone know who in the cup car ran out of realestate exiting T12 Saturday and ran half the front straight two car widths in the grass, boot in it? That was a badass move watching from the tower!
Old 08-22-2016, 10:30 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller

I wont use it myself because its against the spirit of what Club Racing is. I don't want to beat someone because of an unfair advantage or a questionable move. I want to beat them because my car setup was spot on and my driving matched. If I cant win that way I don't deserve to. Whilst I can understand its 'legal' to use, I just don't think its right
Well said!
Old 08-22-2016, 10:30 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,111 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Yes - in the previous years driver's meetings it was always compared to the track out at T1 Watkins Glen. You can use it but must give way as you re-enter the track.
Trajectories completely different.

T1 WGI=outside, off-course, no one to "spear," just stuff to hit. Unlikely to gain advantage. Individual penalty.

T1 NJMP TBolt=inside, "on," potential to adversely affect others, can gain advantage through surprise and intimidation, never seen anyone "give way" coming back on the INSIDE, of any turn...

The stewards, IMO, have an obligation to communicate the rules (ones they will objectively and consistently enforce), which in turn establishes the "spirit" that they are looking for.

Spirit=culture.

No "rules" to enforce that subjective valuation. Can only enforce rules.

If you don't like it, press for change.

Been watching this for thirty-five years. And it's harder than it looks...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-22-2016, 10:38 AM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by noturavgm
Had lots of fun running the DE and watching the races this weekend. Some excellent SPB pirouettes in T5

Anyone know who in the cup car ran out of realestate exiting T12 Saturday and ran half the front straight two car widths in the grass, boot in it? That was a badass move watching from the tower!
That was one of my guys Ian D'arcy He has crazy car control skills
The video is epic. I would of hit the wall 2 or 3 times

BTW thanks to all the crew at Shattenbaum for a great event (as usual)
One of the best. Even if the drive isn't
Old 08-22-2016, 11:20 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 150 Posts

Noturavgm- he was just behind me in a 997 Cup watched in my mirrors . Great job saving it

Great racing one of my favorite events . Red run group was awesome everyone drove heads up no BS stuff. The way club racing should be
Old 08-22-2016, 11:32 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
I recall in past years it was ok to use as an escape. For example people get shoved over there on the starts a lot. But if the steward didn't rule it out this year it's fair game.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:40 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 169 Posts

For us casual observers interested because it's interesting, does this accurately represent where you are talking about? Blue line is a horrible approximation of the standard line, red line is the line being discussed? Or somewhere else?
Old 08-22-2016, 11:50 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Red line should be just to the right of the blue one over the red and white curb
Old 08-22-2016, 11:50 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
For us casual observers interested because it's interesting, does this accurately represent where you are talking about? Blue line is a horrible approximation of the standard line, red line is the line being discussed? Or somewhere else?
No it does not. That red line is actually the current pit-out lane. What the fuss is all about is the paved area on the inside of the T1 curbing (the old pit-out).
Old 08-22-2016, 11:54 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 169 Posts

So yellow line, or so?

Quick Reply: NJMP PCA Club Race