Sponsored by:

NJMP PCA Club Race

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 10:59 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 526 Posts

Had some great racing in the Red Group over the past two days as well. Some great battles with good friends and I managed to come out on top - mostly.

The wave-off in the White Enduro restart today was a new one for me in Club Racing - I've never seen that before. Sure caused a major clusterf@$k in T12. Video when I have recovered from my drive home.

Heat and humidity and a rapidly deteriorating track caught a lot of people in slicks off guard today. It was really easy to over-drive tires.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:34 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,191 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Awesome time this weekend - except for the 4+ hour drive home in the rain!

Thunderbolt has really grown on me - it is a track that rewards you for being aggressive. I really love taking the last turn onto the straight flat-out - what fun!

Got to feel like a baller in the sprint races as "I" was the fastest class. Started two races on the front row - first time I ever did that. Unique perspective to be part of the start. Normally I am a bunch of rows back wondering what is going on.

Really appreciate the courtesy shown by the other classes in letting us have our battle. During the enduro we were relegated to the slowest class as we were grouped with the GT classes. Tried to pay back the good karma by not interfering with their races.

Met a bunch of new friends and said hello to some old ones. Really an enjoyable weekend! Schattenbaum ran a really nice event.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:10 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Man that T1 extra pavement crap has been going on for several years, makes no sense that it's allowed, but it is.

213 never heard or raced with that guy you sure it wasn't a sideways M ?...I know its not a cup but....

Has to watch on race monitor from outta country, man its hard on the sidelines....glad to see sean backon his game in E just wish his car held up

Spb was flying out there
Old 08-22-2016, 06:22 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Each year I ask the Stewards and/or Pete D - "Is the inside of the curb, the old pit exit, out of bounds?" And each year they say "no/nope."

And this year they discussed it at the driver's meeting. "No, not out if bounds."

I was in the front at the driver's meeting and did not hear "...it's a bad idea..." But if this is such a "bad idea" why not change the rule? Why keep it legal year after year?

Funny how each year this comes up, yet it is still legal. And this year everyone (well, everyone at the driver's meeting) knows it is legal.

I specifically went out in the warm ups so I could test it out. It was fine, full grip. I did multiple passes just to make sure.

Not the first time I have done this move either. Last year as well.

Thank you,
Clarke/#213
Attached Images  

Last edited by GT3DE; 08-22-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:48 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gary R.
So what's the deal with the 3rd track configuration?? Standard track, Chicane, and then there's the "skip T1" configuration now? I watched a start and an E car (213?) deliberately and with no regard for the safety of the cars he was shooting by blindly, pulled out of line, dropped into the inside of the curb driveway, passed several cars and the E leader (Sean F.) when he shot back out into the group... and that is ok??? I say it was a BS move and the driver should be given a bit of time to run elsewhere.
Deliberately? Yes.

No regard for safety... Hardly. I tested this line in warm ups and it was fine, full grip. The track is wide enough for at least 3 cars between t1 and t2, plenty of room to blend in.

... of the cars he was shooting by blindly? Nothing 'blindly' about it, I knew exactly where I was relative to the cars. Or do you mean the other drivers were blind to the possibility of getting passed like that?

BS move... have the rule changed then.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:02 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Der ABT
Man that T1 extra pavement crap has been going on for several years, makes no sense that it's allowed, but it is.

213 never heard or raced with that guy you sure it wasn't a sideways M ?...I know its not a cup but....

Has to watch on race monitor from outta country, man its hard on the sidelines....glad to see sean backon his game in E just wish his car held up

Spb was flying out there
This should jog your memory. Have another cerveza.
Attached Images    

Last edited by GT3DE; 08-22-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:10 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

As always, a wonderfully run event by Schattenbaum and the PCA national staff.

Was sad my nemesis, #137, couldn't be there. Was hoping for some battles with Sean F (the D lap record holder that moved up to E) but apparently his car broke.

Seemed like relatively accident free in my run groups. I don't remember having any full course cautions for accidents. Just a few local yellows for spins.

Thanks again PCA.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:37 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE

Was hoping for some battles with Sean F (the D lap record holder that moved up to E) but apparently his car broke.

I was looking forward to more fun as well but yes, my car broke. First race was fun until I spun

Yes that line through T1 is legal but no way it should be. It needs to be changed for next year. You made up 3 or 4 spots to pass me at the start using it. It's clearly an unfair advantage and I couldn't see you until very late, that line was completely in my blind spot until you were passed me - so it's also not safe. I strongly suggest that national take a look at it and ban it next year.

Even though I had a problem with the car, it's finally completely sorted out from my update and move to E. Looking forward to racing again.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:38 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Here is what it looks like. Basically puts you in almost same spot as someone coming out of pits.

I guess we should make coming out of pit road during a race illegal as well. Lol
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2016, 08:44 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,624 Likes on 841 Posts

BS move... have the rule changed then.
Here is what it looks like
Ah...THAT patch of asphalt.

Yeah I find myself agreeing with Clarke. If it's in bounds, then all racers should expect to be passed here. Otherwise, have it declared out of bounds, which IMO is what should be done. That is IMO not part of the racing surface.

Regarding the Watkins Glen bus stop, I am not aware of any group including PCA which allows you to overshoot the bus stop and gain a position. That is definitely out of bounds, IIRC.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:51 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,268 Likes on 1,864 Posts

I disagree. Pit lane exit is not the racing surface.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-22-2016, 09:00 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Wouldnt you technically be considered 4 wheels off using that route and therefore per club race rules only able to enter the track without gaining an advantage and only to do so when safe? I realize at speed going through there allows you to renenter the track in much the same way as going wide at turn 1 at WGI, but if they enforced the already written rule there on those that use it, it would discourage its use.

I wont use it myself because its against the spirit of what Club Racing is. I don't want to beat someone because of an unfair advantage or a questionable move. I want to beat them because my car setup was spot on and my driving matched. If I cant win that way I don't deserve to. Whilst I can understand its 'legal' to use, I just don't think its right
Old 08-22-2016, 09:03 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,624 Likes on 841 Posts

As I said, IMO it is out of bounds and should be declared such.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:07 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,268 Likes on 1,864 Posts

It's the scrut's decision, not any of ours.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:30 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by mmuller
Wouldnt you technically be considered 4 wheels off using that route and therefore per club race rules only able to enter the track without gaining an advantage and only to do so when safe?

I don't want to beat someone because of an unfair advantage or a questionable move.
Glad you worded it that way. Technically it is not 4 wheel off because it is not out of bounds, it is part of the racing surface.

Every single racer in every lap of every race may legally use it. There is no unfair (or fair) advantage.

Quick Reply: NJMP PCA Club Race