Sponsored by:

getting started in Karting

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 05:56 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default getting started in Karting

I am currently studying abroad and just got back from some dual engine outdoor karting here in the UK... what a blast and a workout! I have raced formula electric karts indoors before, but would like to do something above the recreational level.

So, I want to do this back home. I have searched the archives and seen a lot of discussion as to the merits of making you a better driver and such, but would like some help in locating a good used kart and the direction I should take.

My primary aim in a kart is to use it as a tool to make me a better road race driver... not to become some national champion or run the karts at our local amsuement park.

What class?
Real road courses vs. dedicated kart tracks?
which kart/classifiieds? Costs

Any advice appreciated, I am in Pa.... outside Philadelphia. Anyone in that region racing karts?

As always, thank you!
Old 10-18-2003, 09:10 PM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never run an outdoor kart, but I have buddies with them. IF I were to do it I would:

1. Attend a karting school. They're much cheaper than a car racing school. Ask lots of questions.

2. Rent a couple of different types before I decided. A lot of tracks have "arrive and drive" programs.

As far as "Real road courses vs. dedicated kart tracks", I don't know how things are in PA but out west they do both. If you've read the nsxfiles (hasn't everyone?) you'll notice that fast shifter karts are not particularly cheap to run.
Old 10-19-2003, 01:27 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've helped a few people get into karting. However, it has been about 8 years since I last raced karts and some of my info may be dated based upon some recent feedback.

First of all, IMHO too many people want to jump right into shifter karts. That's not unlike wanting to race cars and wanting to jump directly into an F1 car (or at least a Toyota Atlantic). IMHO, not a bright move.

The long standing workhorse of karting has been the Yamaha KT100 engine. There are classes dedicated just to this engine and it takes a beating without complaint. That has always been my recommendation, but it appears there may be other excellent options out there today. Check what people are running in your area. I'd stay away from the 4 stroke karts. Cheap to get into. Expensive and time consuming (compared with a Yamaha) to maintain and expensive to go slow.

There are a couple of tracks I know of within a reason tow for you. Both are excellent tracks from what I hear. One is Cuddybackville (sp?), NY. There is one in northeastern PA and I cannot for the life of me remember the name. It has hosted plenty of big-time national races though and was a favorite of friends of mine that went there. I'm originally from Upstate NY and started racing karts in East Avon, NY.

IMHO, new equipment is a waste of money for a newbie. For the first year equipment that is a year or two old will still be better than the driver unless you're the next Senna. My advice has always been to buy good used equipement. Karts generally don't get too beat up and are simple to maintain so a two year old kart should generally be in great shape.

I've always recommend getting an Yamaha engine blueprinted by Emmick Enterprises in Sacremento, CA. I've heard their engine builder left however. I don't know if this will make a difference or not.

Good luck. Karting is a great place to learn. You will learn more, faster, and cheaper than any other avenue. There is a reason most of the F1 grid are karting grads and why Schumacher is contractually still allowed to race karts. He insisted on that being in his contract. Other pro drivers also race karts from time to time.

Good luck.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:47 AM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to call and talk to someone who specializes in carts, go to the website http://www.racearsenal.com/ Talk to Chuck. He put me into a Parilla Leopard 125cc TAG (Touch And Go) setup. This is great for practicing feel on a track. Keep in mind, Karts run around 15,000 rpms so there is a bit more mechanical maintenance than an automobile engine. The point is, unless you are an accomplished mechanic, which I'm not, make sure you have someone close at hand to help with the repairs.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:13 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mitch, I spent this weekend at Raceway Park in Englishtown NJ with my 10 yr. old son who started his karting career this summer. They run a reasonably professional karting series at RP, which is a famous '50's era dragstrip still going strong today. The kart track is a converted parking lot so no elevation changes but reasonable safe. Racers come from all over the Delaware valley, we park regularly next to a father/daughter team from New Holland.
There are 3-4 kart shops who have big trailers and can set you up with a rental kart for a day ~$250.
As has been mentioned, the workhorse setup is the Yamaha KT100, on a wide variety of chassis. Like any racing, pick a class with both lots of competition and plenty of support. Top Kart is a popular brand at RP, we have a "Gold" kart.

I travel a lot and rent karts whenever I have a spare 2 hours in a city with a track, in Boston last week I did three sessions at F1 Boston (owned by Porsche racer RJ Valentine) I agree they are fantastic training for racing cars. No reason to think about shifters anytime soon I'd agree; plenty to learn in a senior sportsman yamaha class. Having watched lots of shifter kart races I agree that guys who are fast in shifters should be fast in anything. You need razor sharp reflexes, it is very physical, and you hone important skills like left foot braking.

So come out to Englishtown http://www.etownraceway.com/ when you get back to the states. Ping me beforehand and I'd be happy to make introductions and get you set up. I have heard good things about the kart schools, Jim Hall in CA and Oakland Valley in Cuddebackville NY http://www.ovrp.com/ However the comaraderie in the kart paddock is very thick and you'll learn a lot just by showing up for a Saturday practice and renting a ride.

Brandon
911SC G #77
Old 10-20-2003, 12:40 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

I am one who didn't follow the recommended wisdom. I jumped right into 125cc shifter karts from never having driven karts before. I absolutely love it and wouldn't have it any other way. I'm sure that driving a lesser kart would be OK, but for me, the shifter is THE TICKET. I cannot put into words how much I enjoy driving my shifter kart. After honing my reflexes and physical endurance (manual steering on the karts = big workout), driving my Porsche 944 Turbo GT3 car at PCA events will likely seem relatively tame.

However, the big thing that makes any racing fun is having someone to race against. There is a large shifter kart contingent in my area and, therefore, many to run with.

My advice -> for whatever kart you are thinking about buying, make sure there are many others running the same type of kart so you have someone to race with . . .

Jeff
Old 10-23-2003, 09:21 PM
uber944
Instructor

i have to agree with jeff if you dont have a competitor any kart wither its a shifter or something you race at the amsument park it wont be fun. Now i race a kart and i know may kids that run shifter so i dont see it to be hard for anyone to start out in a shifter. You just have to take it easy when you start because there limits my be much higher than yours
Old 10-24-2003, 05:37 PM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

I too am interested in getting into carts. The ocala grand prix is only about 20 minutes from me, and I did an 8 hour enduro (the slower arrive and drive type), and had a great time. A lot of good drivers participated including Wayne Taylor. What kind of costs would I be looking at to get into a good used T100 based cart? What kind of operating costs do most of you see? And finally, what about safety? My limited experience with the enduro seemed pretty safe. But when I started searching around, it seemed like cart racing can produce some pretty severe injuries, compared to full scale cars which provide a cage structure. I saw a lot of carts rolling over carts (and driver), and people being ejected from carts. Any experiences?

thanks!
David
Old 11-23-2003, 05:15 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 34 Posts

Karts are a great way, if not the absolute best way, to race. Although they are not cheap, they are a lot less expensive to run than cars.

The competition is intense, so I would advocate starting your karting program with a lot of testing. It's going to take a few days just to figure out how to drive these things (proper technique) correctly. If you are used to driving cars on the track, you'll have to re-learn a few things. Many experienced karters have told me that it's easier going from karts to cars versus cars to karts.

I run in HPV-4 because I wanted something that was going to be cost effective and reliable. But, like many have already mentioned here, you really need to check out what's running in your area because it seems as if classes are popular, or unpopular, by region. What's popular in NoCal, for example, is remotely popular here in SoCal (ex: Tag & Parilla).

Rich
Old 11-23-2003, 05:19 PM
Rennlist Member

Also, karting is a great way to get in shape and lose some pounds! I had to lose 30 lbs just so I could be competitive in my class.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:14 PM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

I actually just bought a kart. I got a used BRM chassis, and a new HPV100 motor. The class I'll run in will be HPV heavy (HPV3?). I'm looking forward to it; I think it'll be a lot of fun. Next weekend will be my first time out in my own kart; hopefully I'll be ready to race soon thereafter.

David
Old 11-24-2003, 08:19 AM
Rennlist Member

David,

Good deal on the kart. Let me know how your first outing goes - you can send me an email. Are you working with a shop to help you out with kart & track setup?

I really like my HPV motor. I've heard nothing but great things about its performance & reliability. These things rev pretty high, too (15,300).

Did anyone here check out the CART Stars of Tomorrow on Speed yesterday? It was from the Sears Point event. Awesome! They are showing it again today @ 5pm est (Mon, 11/24).

Rich
Old 11-24-2003, 08:40 AM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Brandon, I was @ raceway park yesterday as well; with my 10 year old son. He was running in Jr. Sportsman in the 2 stroke class. It was his first race!

After 2 months of research, I went with the yamaha engine. Check out rlkart.com for a chassis. The chassis is imported from Brazil and wins a bunch in South America.

Charlie
Old 11-24-2003, 10:01 AM
Rennlist Member

Mitch,

I just sent you a PM.

Rich
Old 11-24-2003, 10:31 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Charlie, just sent you a private msg. Actually we missed yesterday, my prior post was a few weeks old.
Public message now to ask does anyone know of indoor kart alternatives around NY/NJ/PA? Arnold's in PA is the closest but you have to be 12 yrs old for the fast karts...
Brandon

Quick Reply: getting started in Karting