Sponsored by:

PCA ClubRace @ Laguna Seca Wait List?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 04:13 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by James-GMG
We registered for the PCA group but like most of you, we are on the wait list. Where can you register for the SCCA group?

Is there a schedule yet?

Thanks!
James it appears their registration isn't open yet. Probably wouldn't hurt to contact them now and see how open they are to P-cars filling up their fields. Here's the link:

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...2#.V12z07srIY0
Old 06-12-2016, 10:26 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank You for the videos Tom and Scott-
We started to study them last night.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:45 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 914 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by SoClose
Thank You for the videos Tom and Scott-
We started to study them last night.
You are welcome! It is such a fun and incredibly technical track with a lot of nuances that are not obvious. I have probably 3000 laps around Sears on bikes and in cars and I learn something new about it every time I am there.

I won't be racing at Sears Point this coming weekend as my engine had a bit of a hiccup at Laguna Seca last month. But, I should be up there on Saturday with my wife and puppy to see everyone and root everyone on!

I'll do my best to track you guys down. Did you get a garage?
Old 06-12-2016, 11:26 PM
SoClose
Racer

Originally Posted by winders
You are welcome! It is such a fun and incredibly technical track with a lot of nuances that are not obvious. I have probably 3000 laps around Sears on bikes and in cars and I learn something new about it every time I am there.

I won't be racing at Sears Point this coming weekend as my engine had a bit of a hiccup at Laguna Seca last month. But, I should be up there on Saturday with my wife and puppy to see everyone and root everyone on!

I'll do my best to track you guys down. Did you get a garage?
No, didn't go for the garage. Looks like good weather!
Yours is one helluva lap!
Old 06-13-2016, 08:11 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
James it appears their registration isn't open yet. Probably wouldn't hurt to contact them now and see how open they are to P-cars filling up their fields. Here's the link:

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...2#.V12z07srIY0
JR, I clicked on the link and wasn't able to register for the SCCA group, any advice?

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 06-14-2016, 01:50 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

JR, I clicked on the link and wasn't able to register for the SCCA group, any advice?
James check your e-mail....
Old 06-14-2016, 03:13 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

guys.... the easiest answer is to fill the grid on the SCCA club run group .
run in ITE (anything goes with DOTs) and have some fun. (or GT2. GT1, SP, PC, etc if on slicks) If we get enough of the guys to run with us, it can be like a" group 2 PCA class" for the most part. the only catch is that you might have to get a SCCA licence, but that is relatively easy.
Its a great weekend... many of the PCA guys run both SCCA and PCA run groups to maximize run time, just as the pirelli cup guys run with us in group 3 too, to maximize track time over a weekend.
Look forward to seeing you all out there!
Mark
Old 06-14-2016, 03:22 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

We registered for the PCA group but like most of you, we are on the wait list. Where can you register for the SCCA group?

Is there a schedule yet?

Thanks!
James, for sure get in group 3 for laguna. there is even a Porsche cup class now.
usually, this event gets a LOT of porches that want more track time or that didnt make the cut for the PCA run group. in the end, group 3 is more fun, as there are more cars to run with , in all performance ranges. AND, everyone plays very well together with SCCA. very few cars ever get a wheel off track in our group. (group 3)
Old 06-14-2016, 03:45 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
guys.... the easiest answer is to fill the grid on the SCCA club run group .
run in ITE (anything goes with DOTs) and have some fun. (or GT2. GT1, SP, PC, etc if on slicks) If we get enough of the guys to run with us, it can be like a" group 2 PCA class" for the most part. the only catch is that you might have to get a SCCA licence, but that is relatively easy.
Its a great weekend... many of the PCA guys run both SCCA and PCA run groups to maximize run time, just as the pirelli cup guys run with us in group 3 too, to maximize track time over a weekend.
Look forward to seeing you all out there!
Mark
Mark, where would a slick shod Cup or GT3R fit in? GT1?

And still looking for a place to register for the SCCA group?
Old 06-14-2016, 04:27 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Mark, where would a slick shod Cup or GT3R fit in? GT1?

And still looking for a place to register for the SCCA group?
The cup cars can fit easily in the GT2 class, but the higher performance and newer GT3Rs that dont fit that class specifically, run in SP. even GT1 has a VTS system and I dont know if the GT3R is listed even though performance-wise thats where it would fit (transam generally ) SP is the catch all local class for cars that dont have a solid class fit in the national classes. Stefanowitz ran in that class if you remember that car.
all the class besides ITE and T1/T2 run slicks.. even the SS (American V8 supercars now run the hoosier R100 slick). they will sometimes have a PC class too, which is the porsche cup class.

Hang tight on the entry.. they allow a lot of cars, so they should be able to fit everyone in there. Ill see from Sherry when entries will be accepted. usually, just before the prior event or just after it. they will take the entries on line on the motorsports site.

as a side note... wouldnt it be great if all the western regional clubs all respected non novice licenses ? i know they need revenue, but for these types of events, or just one race a year , you would think there would be some reciprocity. i think it would be great for the sport and good in the end for the clubs too to drive more attendance. POC , NASA , POC, PRC, PCA, and SCCA .....all should talk about doing this.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:31 PM
SoClose
Racer

Mark-
How many run groups would one get if running with SCCA?
I believe that we are pretty limited on track time (compared to what we usually get with PCA) and will have 2 sessions per day.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:45 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SoClose
Mark-
How many run groups would one get if running with SCCA?
I believe that we are pretty limited on track time (compared to what we usually get with PCA) and will have 2 sessions per day.
http://www.sfrscca.org/component/opt...emid,1/cid,22/

registration opens June 17th for the laguna SCCA event with SCCA , not the PCA group.

I assume you are talking sessions?
Generally the track time is pretty decent. the only draw back is that it lasts over the 3 day weekend, not two days, so its more spread out.
practice Friday and qualifying on that first day. Then, the race is saturday, and qualifying for the sunday races later in the day saturday. You lose one practice for the weekend vs most organization weekends, but the sessions are 25min and the race is a true 30mins.
I dont know if PCA will get any more track time, but if they do, at best, it might be one more practice session.

personally, vs a PCA or POC or even NASA weekend, i think its fine. i prefer the 2 day weekend, but some like more time and an overnight to prepare the car for the big race . over all, you get 5 sessions with SCCA vs the usual 6 with other groups. but, they rarely cut into the track time and the qualifying sessions seem to work out longer. for example, with POC, they ran a 30min qualification, but broke it in two groups so you only got 15mins. in the end, the track time total is near the same, but that's my take.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:48 PM
SoClose
Racer

Thanks- We raced with SCCA last year at The Ridge and there was plenty of track time. Of course there weren't many participants up there...
Old 06-14-2016, 05:59 PM
entityx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How difficult is it to get a SCCA license with only a PCA club license? I looked on the SCCA website and it says to reach out to the region chair, but doesn't mention process / steps etc.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:14 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by entityx
How difficult is it to get a SCCA license with only a PCA club license? I looked on the SCCA website and it says to reach out to the region chair, but doesn't mention process / steps etc.
very easy... you need a little time, or you have to pay for an expedite fee.
call the national office and they will answer your questions. usually, with a PCA or NASA race license, they license you without any issues. their office works pretty efficiently to get licenses processed.

Quick Reply: PCA ClubRace @ Laguna Seca Wait List?