Newbie unhappy with PCA DEs

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 07:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Are there racing sims/rigs for motorcycle racing?
Yes.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-29-2016, 07:54 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

This thread took a nice turn out of the initial topic. Thanks caymannyc! I've been dating these VR systems for a while since I did the sim at the PEC in Atlanta. But I thought VR was still not ready for prime time. When I was reading about it only a few months ago it seemed to only work with a lot of patches. I was not in the mood to be fighting with the computer and decided to give it some time. Now reading about the last version of iracing it looks like it is pretty much plug and play. Do you say buying oculus now would allow me to run iracing without much hassle?
Old 10-29-2016, 07:55 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yes.
...that moto racers use to practice and hone their skills, or just as games?
Old 10-29-2016, 10:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by aalencar
Do you say buying oculus now would allow me to run iracing without much hassle?
Yes, providing you run the Oculus hardware test and pass for full functionality.

I thought I was ok, because I buy pretty good stuff and update it regularly, but my Gen2 i7 failed and I needed native chipset support for two USB 3.0 ports.

So, I bought a new Z170 motherboard and a Gen6 i7-6700K and it's awesome! WAY better than the Development Kits 1 and 2.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hf1
...that moto racers use to practice and hone their skills, or just as games?
I don't know specifics, but I have a few bike instructor friends who have adopted this tool and that I have helped with computing decisions and setup. You pay your money and you make your choice...

Like driving sims, if you buy some $99 Mad Catz wheel and pedal set, the experience will suck. If you buy the minimum requirement Logitech G27 (or its successor) set, the experience is much better. I know people that poo-poo $1000 of Fanatec wheel base and pedals, but for many, they're just fine. I suppose it's the same for bike controls.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:22 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I was going to make a point... G-force and grip limit inputs to the body are so much more important on two wheels vs four that moto video sims/rigs would be all but useless for practicing or improving skills.

For cars, each of us depends on g-force (body), visual, and audio inputs differently. I've noticed that g-force (body) to me is more essential than average -- it's primary. I even seem to "memorize" laps/turns as 3-d g-force changes to the body and the four contact patches, rather than as visual films -- using visual inputs mostly for placement of the car on the track and confirmation of its position. Maybe this is similar to how Kimi drives, as well, which is why he shuns sims as I and others do.

For moto, due to the physics of it all, racers MUST depend on g-force (body) inputs more than car racers, which would render video sims less useful (or useless) to them. This is why I asked the question.

Just a hypothesis...

Quick Reply: Newbie unhappy with PCA DEs