Sponsored by:

CCW Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:32 AM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CCW Failure

I got these CCWs with my Cayman when I bought it 2 years ago. The PO had sent one wheel back for repair to CCW, and subsequently warned me to keep an eye on these for cracks as they would be doing lots of track duty. Upon inspecting at the season's first event, found multiple cracks at the base of the spoke on 3 of 4 wheels. Reached out to CCW, got an initial call back, then crickets ever since despite a few emails. I discussed the issue with my local wheel distributor who informed me that he had seen 3 similar cases of CCW failure in the past week. Just wanted to let others know....

[ATTACH]Name:  CCW.jpg
Views: 2485
Size:  157.5 KB[/ATTACH]
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2016, 10:29 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

How many days on wheels?

If bumpy tracks and you whack berms they are a consumable
Old 05-19-2016, 10:47 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I had both my rear C14's do that last year. Luckily I caught it in time.

When I looked back my wheels were almost 8 years old...probably much past when they should have been aged out from a safety perspective. Seeing as though those wheels are not shot peened I'm going to guess they are about the same age as mine were.

I was kinda but hurt about it at first, John offered a little break on a new set and my only complaint was that I had heard much better stories of CCW standing behind their product in the past for others. The impression I get from speaking with others is that now that a big company owns CCW it's a little more difficult to get things done.

In the end I rationalized that it wasn't really that big of a deal...I now have a better appreciation for tracking time on my wheels and aging them out before they become an issue. Also puts a fresh perspective on buying used track wheels with no ability to track age / use of them. For the record I purchased another set of CCW's.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:11 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I had both my rear C14's do that last year. Luckily I caught it in time.

When I looked back my wheels were almost 8 years old...probably much past when they should have been aged out from a safety perspective. Seeing as though those wheels are not shot peened I'm going to guess they are about the same age as mine were.

I was kinda but hurt about it at first, John offered a little break on a new set and my only complaint was that I had heard much better stories of CCW standing behind their product in the past for others. The impression I get from speaking with others is that now that a big company owns CCW it's a little more difficult to get things done.

In the end I rationalized that it wasn't really that big of a deal...I now have a better appreciation for tracking time on my wheels and aging them out before they become an issue. Also puts a fresh perspective on buying used track wheels with no ability to track age / use of them. For the record I purchased another set of CCW's.
This.. wheels time out. Buying used wheels isn't a great proposition.

OEM wheels are so heavy because they are built to last. Anything else you should put a time limit on.

I've seen a lot of cracked wheels. Even e88 crack. It's just a matter of time.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:26 AM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

These wheels did probably 50-60 track days under my ownership. Not a huge surprise that, given their age, the track duty took it's toll, but I will be more diligent in the future with regular inspections.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:21 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Many I need to check all my CCW wheels.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:10 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Chris, FYI, Derek S. had an issue at instructor day at Tremblant with his CCW's as well.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:34 AM
Dan GSR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not good, I just bought a set
Old 05-21-2016, 02:46 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan GSR
Not good, I just bought a set
I have had a set for over 4 years without issue. I would want more information on the track being driven and the drivers habits. For instance do they drive over the curbing and if so how intense are the curbings.

A lot of wheel failures at COTA during the recent races there. The curbing there is intense and you almost have to drive over them to be competitive. But the failures were not limited to anyone wheel company but across all of them.

Wheels are a wear item and need to be regard as such.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:37 PM
ElusiveDaveH
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to know and thank you for posting. I usually look over my C10s quickly but will perform a more extensive inspection since Sebring is my home track-probably the roughest surface outside of the moon.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:46 PM
Rob996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what's changed as there appear to be many more wheel failures lately, not only in these forums but at the last number of track events.. I've seen lots if cracked wheels and some three piece wheels missing bolts.. It feels like to time to wise up and thoroughly inspect your wheels with more vigilance to avoid bigger issues... I recently checked each bolt on my two piece break rotors..

Helmets, harnesses and tires have expiry dates, but wheels don't..

What about tech inspections ?
Old 05-22-2016, 10:21 AM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default CCW Failure

Anyone have issues with BBS cracking?
Old 05-22-2016, 11:34 AM
schaibaa
Instructor

Originally Posted by grrrmonster
Anyone have issues with BBS cracking?
Moral of the story here - all wheels will break eventually. Better ones just take longer.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:42 PM
Slow RSA
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

^ I've seen a broken E88 center at a Road America club race. I also had a cracked center on my Fikse FM10's, too. All wheels will crack eventually, strength is the sacrifice of having light weight wheels
Old 05-23-2016, 03:32 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Brought a set of CCWs to the track the other day as a spare and wound up not using them. Putting them back in my shed and noticed this.

Remember to check your wheels kids. The life you save may be your own!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: CCW Failure