Sponsored by:

CCW Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 07:41 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
I dunno, this is why I run wheels that are light, relatively cheap and easy to get/replace. I have 3 sets of Kosei K1's for my M3. If I need another one they're $175 from Tire Rack and I can have them inside of 2 days.
Ditto--Kosei K4Rs--have two full sets that I clean/inspect thoroughly after each event and rotate all eight into service.

Only wheel problem I've ever had was with a spoke breaking on a SSR Comp forged wheel at twice the price of the Koseis.

Gary
Old 05-28-2017, 10:40 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I run Forgeline and these guys will take care of you if you have an issue. They are races and know what we deal with and the stresses on the car.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:39 AM
Maynor
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have said, wheels are consumables like tires and brakes. I ran a set of CCW classics and developed cracks in at least two or three spokes too.

Don't have the pictures handy but back in 2011-2012 when it happened, CCW, was superb in how they handled it. I was the second owner with no receipts but they sent note one, but two new center sections to replace the single wheel that cracked.

They told me to inspect every wheel after every event like I already do with nuts and bolts, and to keep the 2nd center section as a spare just in case.

Color me impressed at the time. Haven't had issues since but I've long sold those wheels.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:46 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mikew968
I run Forgeline and these guys will take care of you if you have an issue. They are races and know what we deal with and the stresses on the car.
Agreed, only Forgelines when I am writing the check.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:43 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Maynor
As others have said, wheels are consumables like tires and brakes. I ran a set of CCW classics and developed cracks in at least two or three spokes too.

Don't have the pictures handy but back in 2011-2012 when it happened, CCW, was superb in how they handled it. I was the second owner with no receipts but they sent note one, but two new center sections to replace the single wheel that cracked.

They told me to inspect every wheel after every event like I already do with nuts and bolts, and to keep the 2nd center section as a spare just in case.

Color me impressed at the time. Haven't had issues since but I've long sold those wheels.
Different owners of the company now, CS not the same as before. No offer to help just pay up $795 and wait 10-12 weeks now. I've heard the service was awesome when John owned it but no longer.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:32 PM
ibeaudoin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
I went the Jongbloed route. Fast service and wheels that suck the heat out. How can you beat that!
Tried to go the Jongbloed route last year. Local shop received the wheels, placed them on the balancing machine and noticed that ALL wheels were not straight. Like 1/4 inch left/right and up/bottom.
Sent back the wheels to them. Jongbloed is a no-go for me.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:51 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
I dunno, this is why I run wheels that are light, relatively cheap and easy to get/replace. I have 3 sets of Kosei K1's for my M3. If I need another one they're $175 from Tire Rack and I can have them inside of 2 days.
Unfortunately there aren't that many options for cheap, race worthy, cast wheels that fit Porsche. OZ is the only one I can think of. OZ only fit the newer cars and cost a lot more than Kosei or similar. I know what you mean though. I have a bunch of options for my Miata for only $99-129 per wheel, I pay more than that to replace a bent inner rim on my 911 3-piece wheels.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:16 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Looking like OZ's for me, $1500 a set vs $800-$1,200 a wheel for the $$ brands. Too bad they only offer a 8.5" front not a 9"
Old 05-31-2017, 05:38 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Over the years I have either cracked my self (Fiske, Kinesis and Forgeline) or seen cracked many others including OZ, BBS.

Most wheels have a service life of about 4 to 5 years when used on the track, shorten that by 30% if you are using Hoosier's or Slicks.

Most of the decent manufacturers will help you out (at your cost) in getting wheels repaired (3 Piece) or replaced (1 Piece) at a reasonable cost.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:15 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,062 Likes on 548 Posts

Which Forgeline wheel cracked? I've never had an issue.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:29 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All wheels will fatigue under track use for multiple years. Esp if you are jumping curbs (fast drivers lol). Cast or forged or spun cast or 10k ton press blah blah - I've seen them fail or bent. They are consumable items and safety items. You have your 100k-200k race car / track toy and you put questionable wheels on - it is dangerous - check after track usage for signs of fatigue
Old 05-31-2017, 10:35 PM
trophy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Which Forgeline wheel cracked? I've never had an issue.
I personally have had a ZX3r Crack, just replaced. These were 8 years old and had plenty of track time. Dave at Forgeline was fantastic is helping out.

I know of a GA3R also cracking (person is a regular contributor on Rennlist) He was also looked after by Forgeline.

I am a Forgeline fan, its the only wheels I put on my car. That being said, if you believe that your wheels are immune you are sadly mistaken. I have seen enough cracked wheels from enough manufacturers to know what happens.

Ask any professional race team how often they replace their wheels, I think you will be surprised. The top tier teams replace wheels EVERY year, even second and third tier teams will replace every 2 years. These are a wear item that have massive amounts of stress put through them.

I always look at it this way, the wheels have a weight rating, Forgeline even has different ratings depending on the tires that are being used, the stickier the tire the lower the rating. If a car can pull 1.5g in a turn then the amount of weight on a tire actually has the potential of exceeding the weight classification of that wheel...

Check your wheels, no matter who makes them

Originally Posted by DC640
All wheels will fatigue under track use for multiple years. Esp if you are jumping curbs (fast drivers lol). Cast or forged or spun cast or 10k ton press blah blah - I've seen them fail or bent. They are consumable items and safety items. You have your 100k-200k race car / track toy and you put questionable wheels on - it is dangerous - check after track usage for signs of fatigue
+100,000. Check and double check...
Old 06-01-2017, 08:33 AM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the lesson here is check your wheels often and buy the company that will take care of you.

I think maybe the poster above was mentioning me about the GA3R cracking. I was the second owner and yes I track my car a lot. Forgeline didn't have to take care me but they did. They replaced the centers at cost including return shipping.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:13 AM
Forgeline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
I personally have had a ZX3r Crack, just replaced. These were 8 years old and had plenty of track time. Dave at Forgeline was fantastic is helping out.

I know of a GA3R also cracking (person is a regular contributor on Rennlist) He was also looked after by Forgeline.

I am a Forgeline fan, its the only wheels I put on my car. That being said, if you believe that your wheels are immune you are sadly mistaken. I have seen enough cracked wheels from enough manufacturers to know what happens.

Ask any professional race team how often they replace their wheels, I think you will be surprised. The top tier teams replace wheels EVERY year, even second and third tier teams will replace every 2 years. These are a wear item that have massive amounts of stress put through them.

I always look at it this way, the wheels have a weight rating, Forgeline even has different ratings depending on the tires that are being used, the stickier the tire the lower the rating. If a car can pull 1.5g in a turn then the amount of weight on a tire actually has the potential of exceeding the weight classification of that wheel...

Check your wheels, no matter who makes them

+100,000. Check and double check...
We do not see very many cracked wheels, but we have, and we learn from every one of them. Any good track wheel manufacturer has had wheels crack. Over the past ten years the grip level of a basic track tire has almost doubled. In addition, cars have gained a lot of weight and aerodynamics are playing a much larger role. The big difference in manufactures is that we are continually adjusting and making our wheel stronger and stiffer. Our GA3R when it came out was 30% stronger than the ZX3R. Last year we beefed up the GA3R and it is now 20% stronger than before. Our GA1R and GS1R are even stiffer still and we even make separate wheels for the GT3 and GT3Rs which are harder on wheels than almost any car out there. In addition, our true race wheels for IMSA GT3 and GT4 cars are designed specifically for those cars and specifications from the manufacturer.
As stated before, wheels are wear items and need to be monitored all the time. Our wheels have never catastrophically failed, you will see hair line cracks a very long long time before any thing like that would happen. As a motorsport wheel company we will always stand behind our product on the track and we feel that we offer a great value as far as quality, longevity of use, and customer service. Feel free to contact me or one of our salesman any time if you ever have a questions on this topic, it's what we do!

President
Forgeline Motorsports
3522 Kettering Blvd.
Dayton, Ohio 45439

http://www.forgeline.com

Facebook Post
Old 06-01-2017, 11:26 AM
trophy
Race Car

Nice one Dave.

This is why I buy Forgeline wheels and will continue to buy them, they are the only wheels I feel comfortable being on my car for track work...

Bottom Line check your wheels.

Quick Reply: CCW Failure