Sponsored by:

watkins glenn track talk video?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 01:42 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Default watkins glenn track talk video?

I know it has been repaved but I guess the apexes, viewpoints/trees/buildings/wall marks etc are all still there....

I found videos before and after paving but without knowing it well its hard to judge (at least for me) if they are doing it right

I am going there for the first time in a few weeks in my GT4 and am looking for videos (with a voice over) and/or descriptions for the line, viewpoints etc that help me get a headstart.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:05 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,541 Likes on 661 Posts

Marc - I had the privilege of being amongst the very first people to walk the new track on April 2. This was part of a fantastic instructor training event hosted by NRPCA and GVCBMW.

The only turn that is unchanged is turn 1. It has the old curbing and changes are only slight.

Every other turn on the track has new FIA style curbing, and it has been placed differently compared to old curbing. My region is there this weekend, and I've heard from a couple people that the new track is very fast, and almost every visual cue from the past has changed (at least the cues from curbing and painted lines).

A couple examples:
- approaching turn 2 the new FIA curbing on the left goes quite a bit further down than the old curbing
- in the Esses from 2 to 3, and 3 to 4 the FIA curbing starts sooner than the old curbing and runs further than the old curbing.
- entrance to the bus stop is totally different - the curbing is "shorter" and where I used to take almost all the smooth curbing up to the alligators - I will not want to take more than probably 6" of the FIA curbing. The further in on the curbing you go - the more it will upset the car, especially on corners where the car remains fairly flat. If the car is heavily weighted to the inside then obviously curbing doesn't have the same effect. But I will be taking it in small nibbles and experimenting to see how much curb I want before it feels like my fillings will shake loose
- the toe looks very different with no concrete patches
- at the exit of 4 onto the back straight there used to be a patch of grass as you track out to the left - now the track is paved all the way to the wall. It's wider than it used to be.

The caveat to my comments is that they were still under construction on Apr 2 and many of the lines were not painted - so maybe they will put lines back where they were for familiarity. Also 10 and 11 were under tarps - they were still building the curbing (or maybe it was curing) so I didn't get to see that at all.

I assume that videos of the re-paved track will start to crop up on YouTube, and I strongly suggest you find recent footage for studying the track.

ARPCA is there this weekend (I am sooooo disappointed I had to cancel) and I'm betting new footage will be up next week if it isn't already.

What group are you going with? I'm registered to be there Memorial Day with Niagara Region. They do a great event - but unfortunately I'm probably cancelling that one too. This damn concussion is not healing nearly as fast as I would like!
Old 05-07-2016, 02:08 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

I will be there with PCA may 20-22
I have been studying this video in the mean time which is post pave:
Old 05-07-2016, 02:31 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

That looks pretty good.

One thing that our club (ARPCA) is doing this season is the elimination of cones for entry, apex, exit. The video shows that the club place cones on the track. Be careful not to get used to using them as they can change or go away.

Our club is opting not to use them at all because the consensus is that beginners rely too heavily on cones and are sometimes "connecting the dots" (driving cone to cone) rather than figuring out the best line for their car. It's a bit controversial and clubs do things differently. As you watch the video try to pick out visual cues on (or very near) the track that are not likely to change.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,874 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
That looks pretty good.

One thing that our club (ARPCA) is doing this season is the elimination of cones for entry, apex, exit.
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

In nearly EVERY case, when cones are used, then removed, people's vision rises, the focal length lengthens and control inputs smooth out.

There are PLENTY of landmarks at track level, eye level and above that allow excellent and continuous sight pictures to be constructed.

Taking away the cones (or not using them in the first place) allow drivers to develop good ocular motion (scanning) techniques, which pays off in better 360 degree awareness, as well.

Again, thank you.

Ross Bentley is now preparing a Speed Secrets Virtual Track Walk of the "new" Glen (along with Road Atlanta, Mid-Ohio, Laguna Seca and Lime Rock relatively soon).

The Glen presentation will feature Race-Keeper HDX2 high-def footage, AiM data, Google Earth elevation plots and key performance indicators required to drive this track well.

Thanks to Steve Hoelscher of Travinci Systems and Andrew Wikstrom of Tachterion Driver Development for footage and data.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-07-2016, 03:00 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Do you know if Ross' video or training course will be available before may 20?
Old 05-07-2016, 04:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I don't know. I will find out Wednesday. The webinar has all the "new" track data and information.

The Zone 1 DE event will have copious resources present, including a Friday afternoon track walk!

Information for that event is here: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...y-20-22-a.html
Old 05-07-2016, 04:51 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 313 Posts

Wish I was there this weekend for the DE
Old 05-07-2016, 05:09 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

Niagara Region has a decent video of the "School Line" here http://niagarapca.org/pages/club-act...n/track-video/
Old 05-07-2016, 07:13 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

I am in full agreement on the cones, and while it was not my decision - when asked I certainly voted against cones. I've ridden with far too many people that rely on the cones and it's not a good way to start. Usually we (the club) remove them the second day, and for some folks it's almost like starting over which means their eyes weren't up on day one.

I know lots of clubs use cones but ARPCA will be cone free!
Old 05-07-2016, 08:36 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just returned from a couple of events there. The repave is great. But losing all of the visual references we had on the old track surface, combined with the different curbing, makes for a new experience. As Pro Coach says, you need to find new references. Looking up and around you is key. It's the same old Glen. But different.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
I just returned from a couple of events there. The repave is great. But losing all of the visual references we had on the old track surface, combined with the different curbing, makes for a new experience. As Pro Coach says, you need to find new references. Looking up and around you is key. It's the same old Glen. But different.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:21 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 175 Posts

I'm going in just over a week with Chin. Lots has changed since I was there last year with me, my car and the track. Really looking forward to it.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:42 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 84 Posts

Here's a couple laps from the HCR event, with OK video quality. Should give you an idea of what to look for.

https://vimeo.com/165654681

On turn 1 look for the section the ground down - different grip. There's a bump forming someplace I the transition from right to left on the esses. Still figuring the bus stop out, but I personally found it more predictable to just plow over the entry turtles, then load up the car and glide the inside wheels over the other three. When using just the lower bits of the entry curb it could be very unsettling! Will be interesting to see how it all develops, and I really look forward to coming back with NER in the summer.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:18 AM
Jas0nn
Burning Brakes

Received 386 Likes on 181 Posts

I had a chance to race a couple enduros there a couple of weeks ago - the changes are subtle (aside from the drastically different surface!), but I appreciated the paved runoff at 8 most ...

Managed to get s few laps in with my 911:

Quick Reply: watkins glenn track talk video?