Sponsored by:

Rotor vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016 | 06:10 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXE36
Prove it!

Your keyboard is writing checks your body can't cash.

-Mike
15 years of racing. No mechanical issues other than brake line explosion no at- fault car accidents . however, ive been touched by a few who have lost control of their vehicles though.
Never had the car even pointed backward.
That's near 240 race days! plus the 5 years of DEing.

Ironically, lost my first tire in 15 years at the runnoffs on the outlap.. and it was a 1 year old hoosier too... never found the cause.
Old 04-26-2016 | 06:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
5 lbs TQ off won't make a difference either way.
I'm sorry, I disagree that 5 lbs won't make a difference. Why not 7? 10?

There's a reason there are specific torque specs, rather than ranges...

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 04-26-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-26-2016 | 06:25 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Actually a lot of torque specs have ranges. In my experience a single number spec is rare.

I also don't believe if one is being reasonable, that the extra torque after the click amounts to anything significant.

-Mike
Old 04-26-2016 | 06:31 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by mark kibort
15 years of racing. No mechanical issues other than brake line explosion no at- fault car accidents . however, ive been touched by a few who have lost control of their vehicles though.
Never had the car even pointed backward.
That's near 240 race days! plus the 5 years of DEing.
So you have gone through the records of every other driver and found nobody could top your record? Because what you stated above comes nowhere near proving "there is no one more safe or with a better saftey record on and off the track than me."

Your check bounced.

-Mike
Old 04-26-2016 | 06:32 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Actually a lot of torque specs have ranges. In my experience a single number spec is rare. I also don't believe if one is being reasonable, that the extra torque after the click amounts to anything significant. -Mike
Most car specs are specs, not ranges. Saying it is ok to be 5 below is arbitrary, capricious, and just unwise.

My Z51 has a very specific track torque spec. I follow it.
Old 04-26-2016 | 06:32 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I'm sorry, I disagree that 5 lbs won't make a difference. Why not 7? 10?

\
If you understand how these torque values come about, you understand where the min values come from.
generally, these specs incorporate all than be a factor in the losening of the bolt or nut.

1. heat
2. side load
3. heat cycling
4. material wear
5. time duration between lug tightening /wheel removal
6. tool calibration errors
7. water
8. water freezing and thawing around contact points
9. rust formulation
10. number of tightening cycles/ nut or bolt deformation
all the above + 10% safety margin

if you were an engineer and the lab question was to come up with a torque value. .. sure, it would be a range. they would narrow it down with the factors above and put in a safety margin for the guy that has a tool that is defective or is set at the wrong setting.

i would say, for 20-30mins on the track, i would feel safe driving lugs that were with in 25% of the spec, or about 75ft-lbs. I would never tighten the nuts to that level, but i would have no problem short term with that value.
Old 04-26-2016 | 06:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Then Mark? Like DTMiller, I am glad you are not on track anywhere near me or anyone I care about.
Old 04-26-2016 | 06:38 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Then Mark? Like DTMiller, I am glad you are not on track anywhere near me or anyone I care about.
likewise.. i think your knowledge of the car, forces and performance are so inadequate for a paid trainer that you are a danger to all around you.. ... worse, in that your dangerous mis-information is propagated to others.... that concerns me in a sport where knowledge is life!

I hope you get over yourself sometime soon and go back and get your Associates Degree and take a physics class while you are at it!

your ambivalence to shuffle steering, not being able to downshift properly before turns and how to handle a brake failure are 3 of the glaring areas where you provide mis-information. im SURE im just scratching the surface.
Old 04-26-2016 | 06:40 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

So you have gone through the records of every other driver and found nobody could top your record? Because what you stated above comes nowhere near proving "there is no one more safe or with a better saftey record on and off the track than me."

Your check bounced.

-Mike
until you find someone with a better record.. mine is best!
I'm at the top 1%... so just leave it at that!
Old 04-26-2016 | 06:41 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Most car specs are specs, not ranges. Saying it is ok to be 5 below is arbitrary, capricious, and just unwise.

My Z51 has a very specific track torque spec. I follow it.
The Bentley manual for the E36 is full of them as are the factory shop manuals for my Jags . It is up to the manufacturer and they are very likely to be the best informed as to what they should be.

A spec may say 45-55 ft-lbs. This means any torque between 45 and 55 is within spec. 45 is just as okay as 55. Generally, if the fastener is clean, I would torque to 50 as that gives the best chance of actually being between 45 and 55. In this case, 5 below would be 40 ft-lbs, and out of spec.

The studs I use from Bimmerworld say use 75 ft-lbs with no range, so I use 75.

Of course, there is no point in arguing any of this because Speed Racer doesn't use a torque wrench.

-Mike
Old 04-26-2016 | 06:42 PM
TXE36
Drifting

until you find someone with a better record.. mine is best!
I'm at the top 1%... so just leave it at that!
Bull****. You made the idiotic claim, you back it up.

Check bounced a second time.

-Mike
Old 04-26-2016 | 06:48 PM
winders
Race Car

i think your knowledge of the car, forces and performance are so inadequate for a paid trainer that you are a danger to all around you.. ... worse, in that your dangerous mis-information is propagated to others.... that concerns me in a sport where knowledge is life!
This coming from the guy that thinks an early apex approach affords more margin for error than a late apex approach.....
Old 04-26-2016 | 06:48 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Bull****. You made the idiotic claim, you back it up.

Check bounced a second time.

-Mike
Mike, mike mike.. you and VR need to go back to school. you cant get any better than no at fault incidents... with bonus points for catastrophic failure for exploding brake line that no one knew about.. (no off track issues there)
so, even if you could find someone with a "cleaner" record, it cant be any cleaner than perfect..... so, check cashed and spent on my hot wife!
Let me be more clear... No touching other cars by me in 20 years!
Old 04-26-2016 | 06:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
This coming from the guy that thinks an early apex approach affords more margin for error than a late apex approach.....
It never ends.

OK. Horse flogged to death. If anyone here is foolish enough to follow his advice, on ANYTHING, please make sure I am on the other side of the continent.
Old 04-26-2016 | 06:54 PM
TXE36
Drifting

\
1. heat
2. side load
3. heat cycling
4. material wear
5. time duration between lug tightening /wheel removal
6. tool calibration errors
7. water
8. water freezing and thawing around contact points
9. rust formulation
10. number of tightening cycles/ nut or bolt deformation
all the above + 10% safety margin

if you were an engineer and the lab question was to come up with a torque value. .. sure, it would be a range. they would narrow it down with the factors above and put in a safety margin for the guy that has a tool that is defective or is set at the wrong setting.

i would say, for 20-30mins on the track, i would feel safe driving lugs that were with in 25% of the spec, or about 75ft-lbs. I would never tighten the nuts to that level, but i would have no problem short term with that value.
So you know all of that better than Porsche, without using a torque wrench.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Rotor vibration