Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Judge dismisses suit against Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 02:47 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Actually....some kinds of race tires are dangerous to run when their old because the Nylon belts rot. A friend and I bought a whole bunch of hooiser R5 tires at pennies on the dollar many years ago, and there turned out to be a good reason why they were so cheap. Several blew while on track - fortunately no one was ever hurt.

I'm really glad I don't live in the same part of the country as our friend here, he's putting other people in danger.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:21 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Anybody know the exact torque and HP of the CGT? I have an idea.
Lmao! So naughty!

Jacy, that's why I implore everyone to don't do what he says.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:33 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Actually....some kinds of race tires are dangerous to run when their old because the Nylon belts rot. A friend and I bought a whole bunch of hooiser R5 tires at pennies on the dollar many years ago, and there turned out to be a good reason why they were so cheap. Several blew while on track - fortunately no one was ever hurt.

I'm really glad I don't live in the same part of the country as our friend here, he's putting other people in danger.
thats REALLLY funny.... I run very well stored older hoosier A6s and then, you buy a "bunch" of cheap , crap R5s (which were known to delaminate) , and actually have some blow outs and IM the one you are worried about?????
Reallly??????? am i hearing you correctly???

R5s are pretty old and how they are stored can make a difference. i wouldnt even use an R5..... and you are worried about me and some dark black pefect shape , steel belted A6s that are 8 years old? a little projection going on here , dont you think?

ive only have had one blow out and ironically, it was a 2013 tire that blew. never found out what happened.. it happened at the runnoffs... and no one was endager, because unlike some guys that push their cars after they blow and then crash, i just rolled into the pits slowly.

anyway, thats RICH.... you buy the tires for pennies on the dollar, have blowouts on the track and IM THE DANGEROUS one??? are you for real??

Last edited by mark kibort; 04-08-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:42 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

Mark, you are amazing. You win every race, on old tires, in an old car with overheating brakes. Does your car even need gas, or does it just hover?

How can I be more like you?

yet another thread Kiborted
Old 04-08-2016, 03:45 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CFGT3
Nothing is mutually exclusive. No one is arguing that speed was not a major factor but conditions of the tires were a factor, albeit smaller in scope.

Second, you are talking about race tires in your situation and the topic at hand is street tires that have been on the car since they were mounted in Germany when the car was manufactured. Even you would have to agree (maybe not given whom this is directed to) that they were not stored in a climate controlled garage, wrapped in plastic etc. how a rational person can sit here and argue that the tires were fine and try to compare his personal experience with a race car is ridiculous on many levels. Are you a criminal defense attorney by any chance??
ok, we are getting somewhere. yes, i agree.... what i do is very **** when it comes to the used tires i get. i get them off known entities (actually see them on the track, know the car and the driver) AND, i wrap them and store them in a temp controlled garage. so, i am not as dangerous as Dave may insinuate.
However, even when i have used very old tires that were not stored as well as mine, the only draw back is that they are less sticky.. i am in no way a risk at the track, no more than if you had someone on the track with street tires. again, you have to drive to the limits of the tires and not beyond.

I have an exotic car that was made in 2006 that still has the originator front tires. Im sure the car was garaged its entire life, but the tires are fine and are just a little thin on the tread.. As i suspect the CGT was, and there is nothing wrong or dangerous with the tire. its just not as sticky as they were new . but that doesnt mean you crash your car when you push the pedal down. just as driving on the rain or over a suspect road surface, you need to know the "limits".
ive never seen a street tire explode or fail just because it was old. Usually it cords out and then has problems. Or it has some obvious cracking in the tire that you can see. Street tires are pretty tough, especially the DOT race street tires that come on the CGT. 9 years old on those tires, with the car probably kept in a garage and i bet less than 20k miles, and they would be just fine. and certainly NOT a cause of this accident.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:51 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by linzman
Mark, you are amazing. You win every race, on old tires, in an old car with overheating brakes. Does your car even need gas, or does it just hover?

How can I be more like you?

yet another thread Kiborted
i win quite a few races.
yes, on old tires
brakes only faded (overheated on one 100ft section of laguna, and now fixed with larger two piece rotors)
it gets 4mpg on the track racing
only hoovers when running thunderhill backward off the turn 5 hill!

any other questions?

is what im talking about another language for you? do you need a translator.
All im saying is that you cant blame the car or the tires here. ive seen it before. someone gets over their head quickly and hurts themselves .. dont shoot the messenger.

the blamers here are worst that the prosecuting attorneys and less informed on the jury that could hang porsche or the tire company.

hey, why not sue the guy that aligned the car, or adjusted the sway bar in the rear too stiff....... or changed the VARI timing so that the power came on earlier.. or the gas station attendant that put too much air in the rear tires.....
where does it end my friend!! sorry if the voice of reason is too LOUD for you!!:
Old 04-08-2016, 03:59 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

what were you getting at here 911SLOW? just curious. the hp/torque curves seem to be quite tame.

Originally Posted by mark kibort

what are you thinking? its pretty standard high reving 500hp dyno output. nothing unusual.. in fact, my car on the street is probably more difficult to drive, but i think its pretty tame on the street. i can't imagine getting the car even a wiggle anywhere on any road.
this CGT doesn't even make more than 400hp until you wind it up past 6000rpm...... so , more than likely Rodas just go over his head.... early... and couldnt correct . im sure he was drving in the 400hp range, with very moderate torque levels (for those torquies out there) and just lost control. its that simple. he couldn't handle it and killed himself and the passenger in a senseless event. ironically, this was a guy that was able to race when he wanted. wasnt too good there too as he crashed in practice in a WCGTS event. I think he was one of those guys that just shouldn't be pushing a car!
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2016, 04:00 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

I believe the government is offering free stress counseling, support groups and hugs to anybody who has been upset by the verdict against Paul Walker's estate.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:02 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Old 04-08-2016, 04:02 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,296 Likes on 1,948 Posts

in fact, my car on the street is probably more difficult to drive, but i think its pretty tame on the street. i can't imagine getting the car even a wiggle anywhere on any road.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:07 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

thats REALLLY funny.... I run very well stored older hoosier A6s and then, you buy a "bunch" of cheap , crap R5s (which were known to delaminate) , and actually have some blow outs and IM the one you are worried about?????
Reallly??????? am i hearing you correctly???

R5s are pretty old and how they are stored can make a difference. i wouldnt even use an R5..... and you are worried about me and some dark black pefect shape , steel belted A6s that are 8 years old? a little projection going on here , dont you think?

ive only have had one blow out and ironically, it was a 2013 tire that blew. never found out what happened.. it happened at the runnoffs... and no one was endager, because unlike some guys that push their cars after they blow and then crash, i just rolled into the pits slowly.

anyway, thats RICH.... you buy the tires for pennies on the dollar, have blowouts on the track and IM THE DANGEROUS one??? are you for real??
This was back in ~2007, right when the R6 came out, the R5s were only 1 year old. On the second year they started to get sketchy/rotting. But as people continue to warn me, I'm not going to argue with you - I'm just removing calories from starving children in africa.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:15 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
This was back in ~2007, right when the R6 came out, the R5s were only 1 year old. On the second year they started to get sketchy/rotting. But as people continue to warn me, I'm not going to argue with you - I'm just removing calories from starving children in africa.
well, many of us in the KNOW bypassed using the R5s that seemed to be riddled with problems... i used R3s and R4s until the R6s cam out.
you were even being warned by others and still used them? and im the dangerous one? common... lets be civil here.
its just goes to show you that racing is a thinking game too. judgement needs to be applied in all areas. you were warned and had blow outs with the R5, and i use R5s and R6s that are 8 years old and never had any issues at all.
its not an argument. you are stating your experience and im stating mine.
the R6 is a great tire and i have no concerns of using them in the 6 year old range as they have been stored correctly. not to race, but practice and qualify. Ill reserve the new ones for the races that matter!
Old 04-08-2016, 04:20 PM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

dont misread........ 9 year old tires are safe..... they might have less grip...... they are not a cause for an accident....the driver is the cause. Now, if they blew out , delaminated, etc..... then, you might be on to something. Trust me, there is a TON of exotic cars with 10k miles on them with original tires on them from 2007, that are very safe. I don't think you heard it hear first though...

now, you really want to get the layers involved... if 9 year old tires are "dangerous" why is our government not outlawing old tires on cars? why are the Rodas not suing the tire company?

go learn something. go on the labo, aston martin, ferarri lists and ask and see who has their original tires from 2005 to 2007 on cars with 10-20k miles on them
You will be surprised! And guess what, they are not dangerous.
terribly inaccurate. The US DOT recommends a six-year replacement interval on tires regardless of mileage. Older rubber loses its pliability and therefore grip. it also becomes more rigid and thus more prone to cracks and outright failure. They can't force anyone to change tires any more than they can force you to change your motor oil or brake fluid (or pads and rotors, for that matter).
Old 04-08-2016, 04:27 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Old 04-08-2016, 04:32 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

i win quite a few races.
yes, on old tires
brakes only faded (overheated on one 100ft section of laguna, and now fixed with larger two piece rotors)
it gets 4mpg on the track racing
only hoovers when running thunderhill backward off the turn 5 hill!

any other questions?

is what im talking about another language for you? do you need a translator.
All im saying is that you cant blame the car or the tires here. ive seen it before. someone gets over their head quickly and hurts themselves .. dont shoot the messenger.

the blamers here are worst that the prosecuting attorneys and less informed on the jury that could hang porsche or the tire company.

hey, why not sue the guy that aligned the car, or adjusted the sway bar in the rear too stiff....... or changed the VARI timing so that the power came on earlier.. or the gas station attendant that put too much air in the rear tires.....
where does it end my friend!! sorry if the voice of reason is too LOUD for you!!:
Yes. I need a translator. Because I don't understand how someone can be such a pompous ***** who can never be wrong. My comments had nothing to do with the original post, they were more directed at your perfect, all knowing a$$hattedness.

Let me translate for you, I could not for a second wish that I was anything like you. GET IT??? I know it's complicated.

Quick Reply: Judge dismisses suit against Porsche