Good Beginner DE Car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 03:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
I'll check out the BRZ - how about a BMW 2 series?
2-series BMW=too heavy/cushy/not as much fun on the track as the alternatives noted already.

The best local support and advice for Mazdas up to the current day is Glenn Long at Long Road Racing. http://www.longroadracing.com/

They have moved their shop from Raleigh to Statesville and are in charge of building the latest generation of MX-5 Cup cars, but I would trust their judgement for anything Miata. They do mods, sell accessories and may have a line on cars, too.

Other good Miata sources are Tom Fowler at OPM in Atlanta, Todd Lamb in Atlanta and Stu Brumer at BSI Racing in Florida.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-30-2015, 03:33 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a huge aftermarket for Miata; Some examples are Good-Win, Flyin Miata, Corksport, and don't forget Mazdaspeed - the manufacturer supports Miatas better than most and has a web site dedicated to racing, with special parts availability for the track cars. If the car needs to see some street duty, there are good bolt in roll bars that still allow the top to work, and the stock engine, brake calipers, engine and transmission are all fine - so fine you can bang off every shift at 7200 rpm with no problems. Consumables are cheap - think $40 rotors, $120 a set for race brake pads, $120 for 15x7 wheels and $150 for 205/50-15 tires.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:36 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd second Peter's recommendations with a remark that those are AFAIK, race shops and might not be the best places for a dual-duty car and for sure not bargain places. I bet you can find lots of local shops with Miata experience and with a handful of exceptions, the car does not need full on race prep for DE. My favorite example is that the damned oil system is a 4 qt wet sump and NEVER starves for oil even with Hoosiers. On an engine developed in the 80s!
Old 12-30-2015, 03:53 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
Otherwise, cup car gets my vote. Read on here that they are a great learning platform..........
Running costs on the order of a Learjet, but nobody here actually watches what they are spending anyway .

Seriously though, Miatas always seem to be underrated. One of my benchmarks on driver performance is "can you stay ahead of all the Miatas yet?". I doesn't matter what they are driving.

-Mike
Old 12-30-2015, 04:16 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

Another option in the mold of the e36, a 2011 or so 128i with a manual. Near e36 m3 power to weight ratio with the BMW Naturally aspirated I-6. Can find them dirt cheap since the market for them is small...

This could be like an e36 m3 with modern creature comforts, and a "little" more dd friendly than a miata and two hunderd and forty something hp to boot.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:17 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Hahahaha! Coffee up my nose... Thanks!
Thanks! I was a bit concerned a few folks would take me serious and the thread would go full retread....
Old 12-30-2015, 04:26 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
Thanks! I was a bit concerned a few folks would take me serious and the thread would go full retread....
Oh, there is still time...

-Mike
Old 12-30-2015, 04:28 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Wait this is a Porsche forum... No mention of spec Boxster? I'm loving mine as a DE learning car
Old 12-30-2015, 04:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
I'd second Peter's recommendations with a remark that those are AFAIK, race shops and might not be the best places for a dual-duty car and for sure not bargain places.
OPM and BSI are very reasonable and would be great resources for considered safety mods to keep the car dual-purpose.

I just like having the folks that touch the car be VERY familiar with track prep, wear rates, lifing of components, know every variant's idiosyncracies able to "bless" the car. Both OPM and BSI build and maintain a variety of track day/club race cars and both have staff that drive them on the street.

LRR may or may not have capacity and would, as a contractor of MazdaSpeed (they are the sole builder of the new Global spec MX-5 Cup), perhaps be more expensive.

I still gravitate towards rear drive, more modern closed cars for kids starting out using dual-purpose cars.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:45 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Wait this is a Porsche forum... No mention of spec Boxster? I'm loving mine as a DE learning car
I second that. Not necessarily Spec-Box but just a 986 (S).
We all know how to work on that platform and it's a very capable car, the only problem I see is that it makes you feel you're a better driver than you actually are.....
Old 12-30-2015, 05:07 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

2-series BMW=too heavy/cushy/not as much fun on the track as the alternatives noted already.

The best local support and advice for Mazdas up to the current day is Glenn Long at Long Road Racing. http://www.longroadracing.com/

They have moved their shop from Raleigh to Statesville and are in charge of building the latest generation of MX-5 Cup cars, but I would trust their judgement for anything Miata. They do mods, sell accessories and may have a line on cars, too.

Other good Miata sources are Tom Fowler at OPM in Atlanta, Todd Lamb in Atlanta and Stu Brumer at BSI Racing in Florida.
I know Glenn really well - great guy. He took care of my 964 when I lived in Raleigh and drove at VIR (have been back in FL for 3 years now).
Old 12-30-2015, 05:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
I know Glenn really well - great guy. He took care of my 964 when I lived in Raleigh and drove at VIR (have been back in FL for 3 years now).
He's come a long way since "retiring" from IBM. Say hey for me.

His kid's also come a long way since being my shop's summer apprentice in 1997 and 1998.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:17 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

One nice thing about driving a Miata on the track is that if you do 2 timed events a year (like autocross or time trial) you get access to factory parts (both stock and competition) at or below dealer cost. You order from the same warehouses that Mazda dealers order from, and they don't mark up their shipping (in fact, they are currently offering free shipping in December!).

See
http://mazdamotorsports.com/webapp/w...atalogId=10001 to sign up. One note--if you sign up, don't just sign up on the web site. Do that, and then call them.

I don't know of any other manufacturer that is as supportive of amateur motorsports. My wife and I both race and time trial Miatas, and Mazda's support makes it a little more reasonable (nothing in racing is cheap!).
Old 12-30-2015, 06:45 PM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Miata
E36 325/328/M3
BMW 128
FIAT Abarth
Old 12-30-2015, 06:47 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

He's come a long way since "retiring" from IBM. Say hey for me.

His kid's also come a long way since being my shop's summer apprentice in 1997 and 1998.
Was that Tom? It's been a while, not sure if I remember. He rode with me for a few sessions at VIR about 5 years ago, was great to get his perspective, great guy and driver!

I love a good car hunt! Miata has moved up the list.

Quick Reply: Good Beginner DE Car?