Sponsored by:

Good Beginner DE Car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 11:55 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Good Beginner DE Car?

So my daughter went to Sebring with me a couple weeks ago and loved it. I'm thinking the GT3 is not the best car to learn HPD...

I'm sure a Miata would be ideal, but I'd like to have something a little more practical. I'm thinking a Mini Cooper S or VW GTI? I know they are FWD. I like the clubman too, but I would assume it's got a lot more understeer?

I need a manual trans, relatively cheap, somewhat practical, as safe as possible and good enough driving dynamics to really learn. Maybe the new RWD subaru/toyota? I don't even know the name.

Don't worry, she has a job, works hard and is going to help pay for this.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

The BR-Z and FR-S RWD Toyota/Subaru package fits the bill. Talk to Michael Anderson at Fred Anderson Toyota in Raleigh as he has gone that route for track day/NASA use. GREAT driver development platform!

I like the other cars you mention for street use. For the track, not so much without major mods.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-30-2015, 12:20 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

BMW E36 M3. (I know, I know, people around here are shocked!, shocked! that I would say that).

It also depends upon other requirements you have for the vehicle. E36 M3s are getting long in the tooth. The cars Peter mentioned get praise for handling and they are a lot newer than any E36.

-Mike
Old 12-30-2015, 12:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TXE36
BMW E36 M3. (I know, I know, people around here are shocked!, shocked! that I would say that).

It also depends upon other requirements you have for the vehicle. E36 M3s are getting long in the tooth. The cars Peter mentioned get praise for handling and they are a lot newer than any E36.

-Mike
Hahaha! Good advice (full disclosure, my wife had a 1995 E36 Luxury M3 and I raced a 1995 E36 LTW that I drove off the showroom floor at Hendrick in Charlotte a long time ago...), but newer IS better.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:35 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
I'm sure a Miata would be ideal, but I'd like to have something a little more practical.
Can't see any of the other cars mentioned being more practical unless you go with an AWD Subie for the snow (in VA?). Cheap to buy, cheap to own, cheap to run, great handling out of the box, biggest aftermarket and support.. Are you talking new or used? New(er) Miata's have the hardtop too...
Old 12-30-2015, 12:55 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Miata hands down on any kind of budget, although I was impressed with BRZs I have driven, but a significantly more expensive platform and not a robustly supported in the aftermarket since they are newer platforms. And why does a young woman need a practical car? Let her live a little and have something impractical but ultimately let her choose, but I sure know I'd want an open car in Florida
Old 12-30-2015, 01:50 PM
CAM14
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
... I'm thinking a Mini Cooper S or VW GTI? ...
Not making a recommendation, rather, a word of caution, the new Mini's have earned a bad reputation for not doing well in the type of accidents that happen at the track. Something about the body flexes enough to have the doors suddenly open. Apparently this is not an issue in normal street driving and the the type of crash tests that are conducted, but on a track where car are more inclined to roll, the body flexes in such a way that can release the door latch.

Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer
Old 12-30-2015, 01:57 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

BRZ/FR-S. And they are quite well supported in the aftermarket.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:00 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,114 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Is this a street car that will occasionally go to the track or a track car that will occasionally see the street?

If it is the latter try looking for a decently set up DE car with a roll bar on RL or racingjunk.com. I remember seeing a street legal VW Golf with half a cage for $1,200 a while back. Can not get cheaper than that.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:11 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

E36 m3. Fast, cheap, diy friendly, and an absolute blast!
Also, many for sale that already are well setup for track use. I would steer my daughter towards something well setup with the proper safety equipment for the obvious reasons. Haven't seen many BRZS with roll bars and fixed back seats/harnesses.

Otherwise, cup car gets my vote. Read on here that they are a great learning platform..........
Old 12-30-2015, 02:16 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

2006-14 Miata. Not a spec miata.
Can be found for quite cheap. Can easily be made to handle well on track with minimal cost. Not fast in a straight line.

Took my wife's Cooper S out on track once. It was meh.

VW is nice and I imagine dealers would be quite happy to sell one if you were looking for new stuff.

BRZ is a solid track car. Raced against one at Runoffs. Guy really liked the car. No personal experience but I would do this before a cooper or a GTI.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:20 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Great ideas, thank you. I love the e36 (actually best handling m3 by far in my opinion). I used to race an E36 in PBOC, but I don't have the time or patience to deal with a 20 year old car.

I'll check out the BRZ - how about a BMW 2 series?

I really appreciate the advice on the safety issue of the mini - good to know.

I'll get updated on the miata. I had a 93 and loved it, but I don't know much about the newer cars. Any leads for the best sources for rollbars and basic miata track stuff (brake pads, etc?)
Old 12-30-2015, 02:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
Otherwise, cup car gets my vote. Read on here that they are a great learning platform..........
Hahahaha! Coffee up my nose... Thanks!
Old 12-30-2015, 02:36 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
cup car gets my vote. Read on here that they are a great learning platform..........
Only if you are on street tires....
Old 12-30-2015, 02:39 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 172 Posts

What if you add 500 lbs? Then what?

Another vote for miata, from a guy with a miata.

Quick Reply: Good Beginner DE Car?