Good Beginner DE Car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 07:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
Was that Tom? It's been a while, not sure if I remember. He rode with me for a few sessions at VIR about 5 years ago, was great to get his perspective, great guy and driver!
Tom is now a top, full-time professional driver after winning the MX-5 Cup Pro Series in 2005. He races a prototype for Mazda in the Weathertech (nee Tudor) IMSA Sports Car Championship. He's also a hell of a coach!

http://mazdamotorsports.com/webapp/w...0001&langId=-1
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-31-2015, 05:46 AM
kevingg
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will take my driving tests soon. I am very nervous and practice a lot on www.education4drivers.com website. Anyway, I am choosing my first car now, and this thread will be very helpful for me
Old 12-31-2015, 08:50 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
I second that. Not necessarily Spec-Box but just a 986 (S).
We all know how to work on that platform and it's a very capable car, the only problem I see is that it makes you feel you're a better driver than you actually are.....
Interesting comment, can you elaborate (based on a true SB without any nannies)?
Old 12-31-2015, 09:39 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwasilko
One nice thing about driving a Miata on the track is that if you do 2 timed events a year (like autocross or time trial) you get access to factory parts (both stock and competition) at or below dealer cost. You order from the same warehouses that Mazda dealers order from, and they don't mark up their shipping (in fact, they are currently offering free shipping in December!).

See
http://mazdamotorsports.com/webapp/w...atalogId=10001 to sign up. One note--if you sign up, don't just sign up on the web site. Do that, and then call them.

I don't know of any other manufacturer that is as supportive of amateur motorsports. My wife and I both race and time trial Miatas, and Mazda's support makes it a little more reasonable (nothing in racing is cheap!).
Agree. I've been a Mazdaspeed Team support member for 15 years and not only do they give reasonable prices (my first SM had a $2000 crate engine), they are very knowledgeable and will answer questions in the phone. You simply cannot beat the cost of a Miata on track and on a technical track you would be surprised how little time you give up and if it rains, you can be a giant slayer.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:51 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
You simply cannot beat the LEARNING EXPERIENCE and cost of a Miata on track and on a technical track you would be surprised how little time you give up and if it rains, you can be a giant slayer.
FIFY
Old 12-31-2015, 08:46 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

My favorite track car of all time is my turbo Miata. It's not the fastest car, but does extremely well, and is unbelievably reliable. I have hundreds of hours on the stock, junkyard engine, and I have even used to race in 4 and 6 six hour enduros. To give you an idea of how much I like it and how many other cars I have had an driven on track, I put it ahead, on an overall basis, my former 996 GT 3 cup car, current GT3, McLaren MP4, Gallardo, various Vipers, C6 Z06, Elise and I forget what else. The only better car is my Radical SR8. But that is a special occasion car when I am willing to blow $1000 an hour to run it
Old 01-01-2016, 03:45 AM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Fr-s is working pretty good for dual purpose. My son has one, you can track or with upgrade on pads and rotors and slightly bigger wheels (get rid of the Prius tires), and with factory setup suspension (better setup than brz).

It reminds me of the 944 platform ...

Old 01-01-2016, 09:57 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,485 Posts

What about a used 987 Cayman? Plenty of nice ones available for about $30K. Or if not opposed to learning with a 911, used 997 doesn't cost too much more than the Cayman.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:10 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Originally Posted by AGO
Fr-s is working pretty good for dual purpose. My son has one, you can track or with upgrade on pads and rotors and slightly bigger wheels (get rid of the Prius tires), and with factory setup suspension (better setup than brz).

It reminds me of the 944 platform ...
Exactly what I was thinking. Especially the handling dynamics.

Of course, I realize this borders on heresy.

I loved my lady's 951...
Old 01-01-2016, 02:11 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless I missed it... Nobody suggested a 944.

I have loved learning DE in my s2...its been inexpensive to maintain (after the initial investment to get it in shape for the track) and is very forgiving on track. Tons of available mods... Cheap spare parts... And the car itself is inexpensive.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
Was that Tom? It's been a while, not sure if I remember. He rode with me for a few sessions at VIR about 5 years ago, was great to get his perspective, great guy and driver!

I love a good car hunt! Miata has moved up the list.
Two things, what is your budget and (once you know what cars are feasible) do yourself a favor and ask her which SHE likes best.... I have 6 (extended) daughters, trust me on this...
Old 01-01-2016, 05:23 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Exactly what I was thinking. Especially the handling dynamics.

Of course, I realize this borders on heresy.

I loved my lady's 951...
That's why I hesitated on the comparison (heresy), but handling-wise reminds me of 944 behavior. Engine response is quite different...

Originally Posted by J Berk
Unless I missed it... Nobody suggested a 944.

I have loved learning DE in my s2...its been inexpensive to maintain (after the initial investment to get it in shape for the track) and is very forgiving on track. Tons of available mods... Cheap spare parts... And the car itself is inexpensive.
I thought about it, but if practicality is a criteria for selection, a fr-s newer (or new) car brings warranty and is still inexpensive to run.

However 944's are great...
Old 01-02-2016, 03:33 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Price point?
Full cage? Half cage?
Streetable?
Old 01-02-2016, 08:29 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

I'll toss in the vote for a 944 as well. Almost surprised it didn't come up earlier in the thread.. Maybe a prepped E30 325i? She'll probably want a newer car though. All mentioned are safe bets and hard to go wrong with. If you're in the range for a brand new BRZ or Miata though, Youtube seems to tell us the latest Miata is the choice car but BRZ more practical.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Price point?
Full cage? Half cage?
Streetable?
Under $30k with somewhat reasonable operating costs.
May eventually install a half-cage
definitely streetable.
Needs to be newer -E30, e36 and 944 are great, but I don't want to screw around with an older car.

I'm leaning towards the BRZ as a little more practical than the miata. I would assume it's safer too with a real roof?

This would be a grassroots learning car (my girls can't even drive a stick yet...), so true beginner car.

I drove my 04 Mini Cooper S on track a few times. It was a blast for FWD. I can't find any info on the mystery door-opening - anybody know more about this?

Quick Reply: Good Beginner DE Car?