Old 01-04-2016, 11:26 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
Under $30k with somewhat reasonable operating costs.
May eventually install a half-cage
definitely streetable.
Needs to be newer -E30, e36 and 944 are great, but I don't want to screw around with an older car.

I'm leaning towards the BRZ as a little more practical than the miata. I would assume it's safer too with a real roof?

This would be a grassroots learning car (my girls can't even drive a stick yet...), so true beginner car.

I drove my 04 Mini Cooper S on track a few times. It was a blast for FWD. I can't find any info on the mystery door-opening - anybody know more about this?
If you aren't gonna cage it right away then that is a good idea. I really do like the BRZ and would love to daily one if it could fit into my life.

That being said you can find a dirt cheap Spec Miata in the 90-97 flavor that is safer and cheaper to run. At some point my kid (9 now) will likely be getting one of these to re build and use for autox and track
Old 01-04-2016, 12:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

BRZ. Warranty.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-04-2016, 12:58 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Good Beginner DE Car?

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
Under $30k with somewhat reasonable operating costs.
May eventually install a half-cage
definitely streetable.
Needs to be newer -E30, e36 and 944 are great, but I don't want to screw around with an older car.

I'm leaning towards the BRZ as a little more practical than the miata. I would assume it's safer too with a real roof?

This would be a grassroots learning car (my girls can't even drive a stick yet...), so true beginner car.

I drove my 04 Mini Cooper S on track a few times. It was a blast for FWD. I can't find any info on the mystery door-opening - anybody know more about this?
If she doesn't currently drive stick I would think the brz is a way better choice because she can actually use it as a daily driver so she can get comfortable driving a manual before she takes it to the track. Daily driving a Miata that is setup for the track is not something I would wish on many people.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:02 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by AGO
That's why I hesitated on the comparison (heresy), but handling-wise reminds me of 944 behavior. Engine response is quite different...

I thought about it, but if practicality is a criteria for selection, a fr-s newer (or new) car brings warranty and is still inexpensive to run.

However 944's are great...
The Porsche 944 is the best Porsche to learn how to drive a race car. The weight distribution is 50/50. The consumables are less costly. The brakes producing more braking power than need to slow the car for a corner.

Purchase a used race car with full roll cage and add any upgrades that are needed. You can develop your driving skills, develop to be smooth, maintain momentum, and not get yourself or the car in trouble unless you loose concentration or respond incorrectly to an error.

It is the best forgiving car to learn how to develop to drive at 10/10 without scaring yourself, to be smooth, and see success with lower lap times. No PDK, No ABS, put fun, fun, fun and it can corners at 1.5G's.

Lowering lap times is the end game not how fast you can go down the front straight, that is being "cool."

😃😃😃😃😃

Full disclosure, I own one

Last edited by T&T Racing; 01-04-2016 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Correct spelling errors
Old 01-04-2016, 04:20 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

I'm glad that's settled... whats the best oil to run in a BR-Z?
Old 01-04-2016, 11:21 PM
cardsrule
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote a 07 base cayman. It's a total momentum car and are a blast to drive. The 2.7 is a great little engine. Running cost like brakes are cheap (for a Porsche). One of the best track cars I have even owned, made me a much better driver getting entry speed correct.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:49 PM
BH987S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW 1 Series
BRZ
Miata

If used, CPO or CarMax warranty.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:21 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Some anecdotal facts:
There is a girl at DEs that has been running used mini for 2 seasons. I see minis very often. The upside is you can fit 4 wheels with you in the car.

FRS/BRZ are very capable but those who say you get warranty should reconsider. There was a guy who blew a motor...well the spring on the valve broke and the rocker cracked the valve cover or something along along those lines. That caused some oil spill which caused him to spin out at first session but he didnt hit anything. Toyota denied the engine claim as they found some pics of him on the track on FB. And these cars blow engines even in street driving from what I read. But yea they are pretty cheap and you may get lucky.

Quick Reply: Good Beginner DE Car?