Sponsored by:

What is "safe enough" for a DE

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 01:29 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Pettee
Whatever you do, don't take Gary's advice and consider quitting. This is Rennlist, people don't come on here to chat about quitting....
No worries. I just want to be a little safer....
Old 12-10-2015, 02:48 AM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Compromises

I too have been wrestling with this issue. As a newcomer to this sport (about 12 track days over the past year now) the risk is starting to become apparent now that I have seen a few wrecks and heard of the fatalities. The cup car sounds ideal for safety, but it doesn't even have a seat for an instructor. Not to mention how silly I would feel driving a cup car as slowly as I drive.... But I am starting to realize that I need to address this issue sooner rather than later.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum1963
I too have been wrestling with this issue. As a newcomer to this sport (about 12 track days over the past year now) the risk is starting to become apparent now that I have seen a few wrecks and heard of the fatalities. The cup car sounds ideal for safety, but it doesn't even have a seat for an instructor. Not to mention how silly I would feel driving a cup car as slowly as I drive.... But I am starting to realize that I need to address this issue sooner rather than later.
cup car may be a bit premature for 12 DE days so far.
that said, you CAN install passenger seat in cup cars. it bolts in like a street car.
there are other ways to provide safety, no always in a cup.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:23 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Whatever you do, don't take Gary's advice and consider quitting. This is Rennlist, people don't come on here to chat about quitting....
Hey, I quit every other year!!
Old 12-10-2015, 09:43 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum1963
The nice thing about buying a well sorted track car is they usually hold their values. You can buy a 944, SPB, or Cayman, drive it for a few years, and then sell it to help fund a Cup car.

You'll have a much better learning experience and any instructors will appreciate not being in a cup car with a new driver!
Old 12-10-2015, 10:11 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

I know where there is a nicely sorted 924 SP2 car for sale in NY...
Old 12-10-2015, 10:26 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Why am I thinking, "There is no crying in baseball"?

-Mike
Old 12-10-2015, 10:29 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
The nice thing about buying a well sorted track car is they usually hold their values.
Another nice thing is you don't have to sort it and you can spend your time sorting yourself out. I know the reason I'm not as fast as the guy I bought it from is me, and not the car.

-Mike
Old 12-10-2015, 12:16 PM
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts
Default GD

Originally Posted by audipwr1
You are George Dyer? Thats pretty cool!
Guilty...

Old 12-10-2015, 02:03 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
The nice thing about buying a well sorted track car is they usually hold their values. You can buy a 944, SPB, or Cayman, drive it for a few years, and then sell it to help fund a Cup car.

You'll have a much better learning experience and any instructors will appreciate not being in a cup car with a new driver!
Excellent advice.

Just make sure the used race car is checked out well and properly built for safety, especially the rollcage and main features, to prevent you from buying someone else's problems.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:05 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 9114609048
Guilty...

Would be great to hear some stories of driving 70s Porsche race cars. Lightweight nomex and coolshirts have softened us younger generation
Old 12-10-2015, 02:22 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I was just thinking about this today. Mild track prep GT3's are pretty fast, certainly fast enough to put you in a bad situation if something goes wrong. The more I think about it the more safety upgrades I want to make to my car but there's a fine line between a street car that can hit the track and a track rat that must be trailered to events.

So far I have fixed back FIA Recaro seats, OEM club sport back half cage, Scroth 6 point harnesses, coolant lines pinned and a HANS. I'm really debating switching my driver seat to a Halo seat and seeing if I can adapt a center net without cutting up my interior. A fire system would be nice but might be a bit intrusive. I may get at least a bolt in fire bottle as a compromise. I'm not sure if I can bring myself to wear a full race suit, nomex boots, gloves as it looks ridiculous at a HPDE and it's incredibly hot in TX in the summer. I suppose it's still better than BBQ'ing yourself if your car catches fire.
Any well driven gt3 is faster than a lot of race cars. The stock 991 gt3 must be reasonably close to 996 cup lap times. Is it as safe as a 996 cup?

There's a lot to think about as a driver.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:44 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I'm not sure if I can bring myself to wear a full race suit, nomex boots, gloves as it looks ridiculous at a HPDE and it's incredibly hot in TX in the summer. I suppose it's still better than BBQ'ing yourself if your car catches fire.
Interesting point here. I see it all the time, guys who harp on safety safety safety, jump in a car for a DE or time trials leaving their race suit in the trailer. So what if it doesn't look "cool". I'm the guy out there sweating my ***** off wearing nomex for a lapping day in a caged car. I think some of the newbies seeing more experienced drivers suited up using HANS devices etc. is a good thing. I think it looks badass, and I'd die of embarrassment if I was killed and had left the gear on the trailer.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:35 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by kk2
Any well driven gt3 is faster than a lot of race cars. The stock 991 gt3 must be reasonably close to 996 cup lap times. Is it as safe as a 996 cup? There's a lot to think about as a driver.
What's the safety differences between a Clubsport 996gt3 and a 996cup?

Obviously full cage
Fuel cell? Fuel lines?
Old 12-11-2015, 09:42 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

This is interesting and some very good point.

Maybe something to consider is to balance risk on the track vs in life.....
Do you have kids, and they have not finished college?
Do you love your wife?
Is your daily driver a Volvo or motorcycle?
Are you a member is ISIS?
Do you smoke?
Do you exercise?
Do you party with Charlie Sheen in Vegas?

We compromise on everything in life, and asking broader questions may help answer the question on how much you want to invest in your driving and safety equipment.

Quick Reply: What is "safe enough" for a DE