Final PCA Club Racing Rule Changes for 2016 - Power/Tach Lead

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 10:52 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,874 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Cup
Thanks for your efforts to make PCA a better place to race.
+1, Brent!

I looked back at OBD-II sampled data from a 2001 996 and it was crappy. So slow it could not keep up... A conventional tach lead would fix that, for sure.

These are non-invasive compliance checks. The best kind...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-19-2015, 01:34 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RPM signal from OBD port

Peter is correct. Even though 2001 and earlier cars have an OBD II port, it does not deliver the same data as 2002 and later. In order to properly evaluate car performance PCA scruits need to see a good RPM trace. The 01 and earlier RPM signal from the OBD port refreshes at one cycle per second. 02 and later refresh at 10 cycles per second. Take a look at data from a 99 SPB and an 03 SP996, you'll see why this rule change is necessary.
Attached Images   
Old 11-19-2015, 01:59 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 863 Posts

Ah, thanks for the clarification, guys!
Old 11-19-2015, 02:05 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by bsztanko
SPB to allow re sleeved blocks with stock pistons......too bad you can't run stock piston in Nickasil liner..
You better check with Walt on that...
Old 11-19-2015, 03:21 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Kinda glad you guys decided on a port vs the cigarette lighter....mine spits out anything plugged into it

Like the direction you guys are taking this...thanks for the work and keeping it so cheap

And please have an extinguisher ready if you see me trying to wire this...I know ill mess it up somehow.........or I'll just take it to charlie and let him mess it up
Old 11-19-2015, 04:40 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

^^^ LOL. stick to driving, you're good at that.

And thank you to all the scruts for all they do. It is appreciated.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:54 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on driver input we are changing the requirements a little.

Some of you gave some constructive feedback (thank you) that we should use a standard 4 pole trailer plug. It's a great idea as we can put the tach lead on the top most wire, power and ground on the bottom two and leave wire 3 empty. Should see a new email blast with a revised appendix K for the plug requirement.

More importantly for the Boxster, SP996 and some OBD1 cars however, after researching the OBD ports a little further, it was determined that there is a different tach pin that gives a clean signal on the OBD port. As we can also get power and ground, provided your OBD port is working properly, you are good to go. We will plug into that and use the EVO 4 data collection unit.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:25 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

For the Spec Boxster, if it has an EVO 4 plugged into the data port already, will the "PCA EVO" data for that run be available to the driver since his equipment will be unplugged? Or will a copy of the driver's EVO 4 data be acceptable for examination?

Originally Posted by f1rocks
Based on driver input we are changing the requirements a little.

Some of you gave some constructive feedback (thank you) that we should use a standard 4 pole trailer plug. It's a great idea as we can put the tach lead on the top most wire, power and ground on the bottom two and leave wire 3 empty. Should see a new email blast with a revised appendix K for the plug requirement.

More importantly for the Boxster, SP996 and some OBD1 cars however, after researching the OBD ports a little further, it was determined that there is a different tach pin that gives a clean signal on the OBD port. As we can also get power and ground, provided your OBD port is working properly, you are good to go. We will plug into that and use the EVO 4 data collection unit.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:46 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gary R.
For the Spec Boxster, if it has an EVO 4 plugged into the data port already, will the "PCA EVO" data for that run be available to the driver since his equipment will be unplugged? Or will a copy of the driver's EVO 4 data be acceptable for examination?
For all drivers collecting EVO data with their port, we will put your name on "the list" and come collect every session from you.

I think we'll give the option of using a copy of your data (provided it is AIM format) or we can run our unit and give you a copy. It frees up the EVO to collect from other cars and still be able to get you on the baseline right away. I usually give all SPB runs to Hunt anyway (just kidding)

Good question and brings up a good question to ask all the SPB and SP996 drivers. There are likely others currently using the OBD2 port for the same purpose. Knowing who we can collect data from will change the gameplan at the beginning of the weekend when mapping out our data collection.

Gary are you using a plug provided by AIM? Does it give you good RPM data? The Solo OBD connection pulls from the K line pin which is slow so I'm wondering if AIM recognized that and is doing the same as we are planning now for the EVO 4.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:20 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

As I haven't even seen my car in person yet i'm not the guy to ask! I did plan on getting the EVO 4 but the connection info will come from guys like Peter, Matt, Jerry, etc. Fo all I know it may be hard wired in, leaving the port open for use but if I can just grab the data and toss it on a memory stick to hand over that works. I'll be so far back in the pack you won't want to bother with mine, I would concentrate on Yonkers..

For all drivers collecting EVO data with their port, we will put your name on "the list" and come collect every session from you.

I think we'll give the option of using a copy of your data (provided it is AIM format) or we can run our unit and give you a copy. It frees up the EVO to collect from other cars and still be able to get you on the baseline right away. I usually give all SPB runs to Hunt anyway (just kidding)

Good question and brings up a good question to ask all the SPB and SP996 drivers. There are likely others currently using the OBD2 port for the same purpose. Knowing who we can collect data from will change the gameplan at the beginning of the weekend when mapping out our data collection.

Gary are you using a plug provided by AIM? Does it give you good RPM data? The Solo OBD connection pulls from the K line pin which is slow so I'm wondering if AIM recognized that and is doing the same as we are planning now for the EVO 4.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:29 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

I would concentrate on Yonkers..
We always concentrate on Yonkers.......right up to the time when he hits something......
Old 11-23-2015, 12:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Solo DL option doesn't work. EVO4 adapter does.

As I haven't even seen my car in person yet i'm not the guy to ask! I did plan on getting the EVO 4 but the connection info will come from guys like Peter, Matt, Jerry, etc. Fo all I know it may be hard wired in, leaving the port open for use but if I can just grab the data and toss it on a memory stick to hand over that works. I'll be so far back in the pack you won't want to bother with mine, I would concentrate on Yonkers..
Gary, yours will be hard-wired in, leaving the port open. The EVO4 is still the best, most cost effective solution, IMO.

We always concentrate on Yonkers.......right up to the time when he hits something......
Ouch! He has an MXL!
Old 11-23-2015, 12:46 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

Used my new to me Evo 4 once at the end of the season and loved it. I wired the rpm feed from a pre existing shift light which was wired direct from the coil. RPMs were reading double. I set the RPM factor in the AIM setup menu to 2, but the RPMs were still 2-400 or so RPMS off from the tach. Is my tach off a bit?

Can I piggyback a wire from this feed to the RPM feed that Brent/PCA wants?

Am I better off getting it from OBD1 port?

Car is a 95 968.

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:54 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Gary, yours will be hard-wired in, leaving the port open. The EVO4 is still the best, most cost effective solution, IMO.
Peter - you know I switched gears and am now talking about a Spec Box and not the Cayman S/Solo DL we were discussing, yes? The Cayman was great with the two wire setup, bet this is going to be a bit more involved?
Old 11-23-2015, 01:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by linzman
Used my new to me Evo 4 once at the end of the season and loved it. I set the RPM factor in the AIM setup menu to 2, but the RPMs were still 2-400 or so RPMS off from the tach. Is my tach off a bit?

Can I piggyback a wire from this feed to the RPM feed that Brent/PCA wants?

Car is a 95 968.

Thanks.
Yes and yes. That feed is best. Nothing on OBD-I, IIRC. At least nothing that is useful to the EVO4.

Peter - you know I switched gears and am now talking about a Spec Box and not the Cayman S/Solo DL we were discussing, yes? The Cayman was great with the two wire setup, bet this is going to be a bit more involved?
Yes, you will want to use the direct wire and the 996 CAN protocol. Not much info but good RPM, Throttle Position and Brake On/Off, as well as Water Temp from that connection, IIRC.

Quick Reply: Final PCA Club Racing Rule Changes for 2016 - Power/Tach Lead