Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track-Life Balance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016 | 08:31 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
I was more than a bit obsessed after the track bug bit in 1999, engine swaps, different Porsche models...all culminated with the current car: 2650 lbs and 514 HP. Addicted.

Um...
Nice.
Vid?
Old 02-19-2016 | 11:03 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
This is a serious issue. I had the CEO of a Fortune 500 company turn to me in the middle of a coaching debrief and ask me; "You can become consumed by this, can't you?"

I told him yes, and if not directed, disciplined and balanced, the results could become catastrophic to his business, his family and his finances... I wasn't smiling when I said that.

He sold his car(s) and quit shortly after, but he may come back.

It's all about balance...
Wish I spoke to you 11 years ago Peter!
Old 02-19-2016 | 11:29 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Gary R.
The track is why I'll be working forever (but it's worth it and luckily I like my job).
Old 02-19-2016 | 11:56 AM
PPo
Drifting

I have been on the Rennlist, in some form or another since the 90s. (Started back when it was a mailing list! No web forum!). You have been my support group... but it's like asking Heroin addicts to try and keep people from doing drugs.

After a 8-10 year slow down of track events (Had three kids!), I am getting back to racing this year. I kept my PCA Club racing 924S in a garage for the whole time, I couldn't sell it.

Trying to do almost the full Chump Canadian series and maybe Watkins Glenn this year. The key was to find other racers with kids the same age. They can camp out at the track and all play together... making it fun for them, at the track, means I don't miss them and my wife doesn't complain about being alone with the kids all weekend.

I can't wait to get back on the track... Thanks to you guys, and living vicariously through you, I stayed focus on my favorite hobby. ;-)
Old 02-19-2016 | 12:04 PM
IPGJames
Rennlist Member

My key is to make the events enjoyable for the whole family so they will want to attend...my kids are 5 and 8 and my wife is very supportive...I (well, who are we kidding, my wife) makes sure we bring along plenty of activities for the kids to keep them entertained, we try and make the weekends more than just about the track and having a comfortable track setup is important ...dual A/C enclosed trailer is the Southeast Summer must to keep my family happy.

For instance Roebling Road weekends...I skip the last session on Saturday so we can get to the hotel, clean up and head downtown for the evening...a nice dinner out in a great town keeps everyone happy

there is a local track called The FIRM in Starke, FL that I love heading up to for 1 day events...there is a great local BBQ joint across the street with a putt-putt course...we jet out of the track at 11:30, enjoy lunch and a round of mini-golf and are back at the track by 1:30 to run in the afternoon

the Chateau at Sebring is my summer license to play...book a hotel room there, the wife/kids can go back and forth between the track as they please and enjoy the hotel room, pool, etc

all about turning the weekend into more than just the track for me to keep everyone happy
Old 02-19-2016 | 12:26 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Pro tip from a rank amateur -- the Corning Glass Museum not far from Watkins Glen is actually really really neat. My kids (9, 7 and 4 at the time) loved it so much that "we'll meet you at the track at 1:30 to watch you drive" turned into me sitting outside the RV until 5:30 waiting for them to get back with the keys.

I have a free pass to WGI events from the family as a result.
Old 02-19-2016 | 12:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Could not have helped you, Gary!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-19-2016 | 03:47 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
The track is why I'll be working forever (but it's worth it and luckily I like my job).
Au contraire....in my case I retired early so I could do more days! Of course, being single and not putting any kids through Ivy League schools sure helps

Gary B.
Old 02-19-2016 | 04:37 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by gbuff
Au contraire....in my case I retired early so I could do more days! Of course, being single and not putting any kids through Ivy League schools sure helps

Gary B.
Wouldn't change it for the world - but the $400k for college (2 sons) does make a dent.
Great kids though - plus Joanie would really object if we gave up the kids. Especially for more car stuff.
(Jeremy and Chip - if you're reading this, it's in jest)
Old 02-19-2016 | 05:15 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

That's the oxymoron question of the day!

Actually, i think i have finally found the balance .. one race a month , march through November. that seems to work for the significant other as well.... and she actually likes to go to the track too and turn the weekend into a mini vaca. after all, our tracks are near sonoma and monterey...... Thunderhill.. not so much, she stays home, BUT, the kids go!
Now, this list stuff is another subject all together!
Old 02-20-2016 | 10:32 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Funny how this thread is back up top, i have a great life, been blessed with a great wife, son, we are healthy, enjoy ourselves.
My passion for racing runs deep, im on my sim 3 or 4 times a week, think about it all the time, always reading and watching racing, the needle is stuck in my arm. I actually was not sleeping thinking about selling my car lol. But i think Steve McQueen lied to me because unfortunately racing is not life and i have responsibilities but i am sure there is a happy medium.

So the wife realizes what racing means to me and she doesnt want me to quit, just need to make changes.

Last edited by ajcjr; 02-21-2016 at 09:54 PM. Reason: worked it out
Old 02-21-2016 | 12:16 PM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jscott82
My wife had the best answer. When asked "how much does it cost to race", her reply: "How much do you have ?"

Most people I know spend most if not all of their disposable time/income on this hobby... For some its a lot, for others not so much... The trick is limiting it to the disposable part. Same as with any other fetish/hobby/adiction.
Don't ask - don't tell has always worked for my wife and I...at least it has for the last 25+ years...mostly racing.

...and what ever you do don't save all your receipts on a clip board
unless there is a warranty involved.

They add up in a hurry and if you sit down to add them up you'll scare yourself and your mate.

Tom B.
Old 02-21-2016 | 05:38 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tomburdge
...and what ever you do don't save all your receipts on a clip board
Every year around this time I get my yearly credit card statement that breaks down all my expeditures into nice, neat categories--I can see EXACTLY what I spent and where. Wonderful!

When I get done looking at it I want to vomit but guess what, i'm doing it again this year (as I have for the past 20 years)!!
Old 02-22-2016 | 04:41 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gbuff
Every year around this time I get my yearly credit card statement that breaks down all my expeditures into nice, neat categories--I can see EXACTLY what I spent and where. Wonderful!

When I get done looking at it I want to vomit but guess what, i'm doing it again this year (as I have for the past 20 years)!!
At least gas will be cheaper this year....
Old 02-23-2016 | 08:55 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was doing OK with the balance, until my wife decided she wanted to race too...

Now she's got her own championship win, and I really do spend all my time in the garage!

Quick Reply: Track-Life Balance?