Sponsored by:

Track-Life Balance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 02:14 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Track-Life Balance?

I sometimes find myself pretending that my "real life" matters in the way it used to before track.
Of course my spouse and kids and parents matter. And YES of course my patients matter. But beyond that....
well.....

Really driving matters more.

Is there a better / wiser path anyone has found or can suggest?
Or.... wait....is this asking for the blind to lead the blind?

(No offense intended to visually impaired persons, just that its a phrase).
Old 10-16-2015, 07:18 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 223 Posts

Ask a heroin addict how they balance the other things in their lives and then you'll be on the right track (no puns intended).

In all seriousness, one of the things that helped me significantly is the fact that my wife became equally hooked in this hobby. Perhaps you could introduce it to your spouse and kids (track, karting etc).
Old 10-16-2015, 12:14 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have your wife read your post above...I'm sure she could give you some good counsel.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,852 Posts

This is a serious issue. I had the CEO of a Fortune 500 company turn to me in the middle of a coaching debrief and ask me; "You can become consumed by this, can't you?"

I told him yes, and if not directed, disciplined and balanced, the results could become catastrophic to his business, his family and his finances... I wasn't smiling when I said that.

He sold his car(s) and quit shortly after, but he may come back.

It's all about balance...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-16-2015, 12:30 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

Yes it sure can be consuming. It's all about balance. I've been doing DEs and a little racing for 25 years. I hear stories of people doing 20, 30, 40+ track days per year, even with work and family obligations. Power to them - I have no idea how they manage it! I've also seen people who do that come and go at what seems like a higher rate than those who don't dive in head first. Personally, I usually do several events per year. Note that I do most of the work on my own cars, which is significant.

Support from loved ones is key if it's going to work for you. My ex was quite unsupportive of my hobby. I didn't do much track for many years as a result. I'm getting back to doing more now, but probably still not many more than a few events per year. My 2 cents.

Scott
Old 10-16-2015, 01:01 PM
johneecatt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Girlfriends are tough. She says she understands…… but is still bent when I'm not there on Saturday night…

***and has no interest in cars…***
Old 10-16-2015, 01:15 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

FWIW - pick a set schedule and stick too it. No ad hoc events. Spread them out 4-5 weeks apart. Most of us can manage to be away 8-9 weekends a year if we plan in advance.

I agree with above comments that those that dive in and do too many events or buy too much car too fast don't last as long as those who are more moderate.

Also, try to set a budget and if it gets uncomfortable then skip running an event, but go to the track and hang out for at least one of the days. Helps you stay connected, but without the expense or other costs (family, work, etc.)

Cheers,
Old 10-16-2015, 01:26 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

My wife had the best answer. When asked "how much does it cost to race", her reply: "How much do you have ?"

Most people I know spend most if not all of their disposable time/income on this hobby... For some its a lot, for others not so much... The trick is limiting it to the disposable part. Same as with any other fetish/hobby/adiction.

Last edited by jscott82; 10-16-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:42 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Take your family with you?

Old 10-16-2015, 02:04 PM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Track-Life Balance?

While dating my wife, it was 10-12 events a year. Once married she laid down the law- once per month. It took some adjusting, but that's a good balance for me.

After over 28 years of doing track events- it's getting to the point where I enjoy the socializing more than the driving.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:10 PM
CAM14
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of us have careers and other obligations, hence going to the track is a hobby that is a cash out-flow. Faster and more high-end equipment does not necessarily increase the enjoyment factor in proportion to the cost of said equipment. With that said, good safety equipment is always a good investment. Over the years, seen many people enter this crazy hobby with spending a bunch of money with the idea that they are going to be some sort of champion and then burn out when they realize that many others have the same idea.

One of the ways I personally balance this hobby is that I enjoy working on my own car and do all of my own work at my home. I have a set of scales for set-up and I build my own engines. My car is mechanically sound and very safe though it is self evident that I do not enjoy the cosmetic aspect of preparation. I've used my car as a tool to teach my children about engineering principles, critical thinking, and problem solving as well as specific skills. They are now more self sufficient have pride of ownership. Furthermore, I've meet so many neat people along the way that it makes everything worthwhile.

Keep it all in perspective
Old 10-16-2015, 02:26 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

What is this "life" thing you speak of ?
Old 10-16-2015, 02:41 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://blipshift.com/products/live-it
Old 10-16-2015, 04:04 PM
johneecatt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And of course, the best way to make a million racing….is to start with two!
Old 10-16-2015, 04:29 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 696 Likes on 347 Posts

I'm laughing at all the posts saying to keep your wife or girlfriend happy...for multiple reasons...
Right Dr?? :

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Quick Reply: Track-Life Balance?