Sponsored by:

Track-Life Balance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 03:17 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dear All
Thank you for the profuse and honest responses. Ironically, both life (case of headlice and family travel) along with track (3 fab days at Rd Atl w Chin) interrupted my logging in and as soon as I get home I'll pore over your pearls in the hopes of osmotically imbibing your collective wisdom.
Thx
A
Old 10-19-2015, 03:33 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 107 Posts

For me, "balance" seems to always work out to about 1 weekend per month, typically March through November/December. Occasionally there will be 2 events in one month.

My wife knows I'm a car nut, and I'm lucky to have her support. I just make sure to always give her a little more attention the week I'm leaving. She always uses those weekends to catch up with girlfriends or family, etc. etc.

Not having kids helps too.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:14 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

"Balance" - I don't care who you are that's funny right there...

In all seriousness, averaging once a month is about right. This year the TWS schedule has been screwed up with the on again off again closing date and thus a lot of motivation to attend events before the lights go out. Had a couple of back to back weekends this summer and it's a bit much. However, if I get more than 10 days out from a track weekend, I start really missing it. It's been since the end of September and I can't wait to get back out at the end of this week - and then go back the week after .

I'm very fortunate to have an understanding wife.

My name is Mike, and I have a track addiction . Plus, a bunch of "friends" who are codependent enablers .

-Mike

PS. Dr911, I miss the "old and cranky" avatar.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:16 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Do what you can.

You're a smart person.

I was able to pull of three 3 day weekends and 9 days at the Runoffs this year. Took older kid to 1 weekend. Took family to last 3 days of the Runoffs.

I was pretty happy with that for the year. I would have like to have gone out more but timing just wasn't gonna happen.

Are you a VIR member? That's the best setup in my mind. The mid week track days with them are perfect if you can swing them. Low key but massively easy and fun.

You need to tell me when you're at your next VIR event. I'll try to run up. If nothing else I'll throw stuff at your car when I see you picking kids up at school.

You've already made the smartest step in my mind. Cheap and safe car to get faster in. That SM of yours is capable of some pretty good times at VIR and the bar is very well established. ProCoach has a crapload of data from SM as well. And I can get some from some fast guys as well. Lots of good stuff to compare and learn from.

And for quick hits from the 'track pipe' you can run down to Rush Hour Karting.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:55 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TXE36

My name is Mike, and I have a track addiction . Plus, a bunch of "friends" who are codependent enablers .

PS. Dr911, I miss the "old and cranky" avatar.
Haha! Addicts unite ! And Mike, yes, I miss being old and cranky too: trust me that avatar will return ...

Joe great plan. I'm very much in favor of throwing objects... I'll have to tell you what happened when I showed up at the DS campus tennis courts w the SM on the trailer yesterday! The tennis coach is apparently an enthusiast... I'll be at VIR Nov 13-15 th w PCA (Carolinas)
Old 10-20-2015, 10:40 AM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm happy to hear we are all asking the same question in different ways. However, I couldn't help myself from laughing when I kept reading "days". The problem with me is when I hear days I translate that into events, as I usually attend 2- or 3-day long track events. Therefore keeping to 10 track events a year will net me roughly 20-26 days a years. Since most of those events are on weekends it makes the non-track weekends that much more valuable for family and friends.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:25 PM
ned911
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I started racing at 30 (20 years ago) and it became a great way for me and my father to connect. For almost 20 years we both raced early 911's in both PCA and vintage events. During this time I also played in a local cover band which ironically enough produced enough revenue to support the race car. Band scheduled got planned around race events and there were many

Then the perfect storm hit, somewhat slowly. The boy was really good at football - no more band on Friday nights in the fall. Boy starts to get recruited, no more band or races during spring recruiting (band stopped performing altogether). Dad hangs up the helmet at 78. Boy goes off to college to play football, travel 12 weekends from Sept-Nov. TWS closes.

The last 2 years have been about re-prioritizing. We get the boy for 10 days at xmas and 10 days in May so that get priority. Also try to get to as many games as possible but those require flights and take the entire weekend.

With the immanent demise of TWS I'm prepping the car for a return to PCA for more event options. The go forward plan is race during winter/spring and attend college football games in the fall. Might actually have more fun at 50 than I did at 30
Old 10-20-2015, 01:59 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by ML///
I kept reading "days". The problem with me is when I hear days I translate that into events, as I usually attend 2- or 3-day long track events.
I'm on the flip side--most of my "events" during the year are single days with a sprinkling of multi-day events thrown in.....like the song says, you say "to-MAY-to" and I'll say "to-MAH-to"

Gary
Old 10-20-2015, 02:11 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is my input.

I never had kids, so I have not had to worry about that end of the balance. I am very fortunate. I had never done a track day before I was married. I did a bunch of autocross and my bride to be never accompanied me.

After we were married for 4 years I got my first 911. I started to do DE events. She came with me to every single one. She has missed maybe two days (days, not weekends) since I have been doing it for the last 15 years. She has no interest in driving the car. She helps buckle me in (and my race buddies) she is on the radio with all of us.

The big out of town weekends we tack on a couple of extra days and make a long vacation weekend out of them. Usually a great time in a great area. Corvette Museum was perfect for doing the bourbon trail as an example. South Haven is a vacation spot where Gingerman is. Ekheart Lake is a great vacation destination. Watkins is in a great winery area ...

We almost never do a back to back anymore. At one point we had 1 or 2 triple weekends in the schedule.

Now, on to work. At my last place of employment, I was clear with my boss that I work to earn money for racing. If I accidentally go to far in my career that my work interferes with my automotive enjoyment, then we need to change paths. After 8 years of employment, he once told me in July, when is your racing season over because you missing Friday and the weekends is killing us. It was not the only reason, but within 2 months of the statement I had found alternate employment. I was very up front about this with my current employer as well.

Yes, my life revolves around cars. If I am not racing then I am working on them. Making parts to sell other addicts, or selling race cars. I understand my addiction. After 15 years, I am probably going to be taking it down a HUGE notch next year as every year seems to be getting to me bigger and more. I am old enough that I am now thinking about relaxing and fun rather than the adrelien from driving fast. Although, do not get me wrong, I am still about the rush.

I guess my answer to this is that if given the choice I would spend my life at one track or another or in the garage. My balance is making the time to go to work, eat, and sleep.

Thanks

Ed
Old 10-21-2015, 12:48 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was more than a bit obsessed after the track bug bit in 1999, engine swaps, different Porsche models...all culminated with the current car: 2650 lbs and 514 HP. Addicted.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:58 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
I was more than a bit obsessed after the track bug bit in 1999, engine swaps, different Porsche models...all culminated with the current car: 2650 lbs and 514 HP. Addicted.
Do you have any track footage of this beast?
Old 10-21-2015, 01:06 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep. And will be FOR SALE at about 69k - everything refreshed incl new engine - in a month or so.
Old video:
Old 10-25-2015, 11:03 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

To follow up: I spoke w kids and spouse.

We all clarified and agreed that the money is my own, it's not the issue.
Balancing time is the tricky bit.
The drama club kid brought up the word "abandonment".
They all collapsed into gales of laughter.

So my plan is:

1. I'll continue my current frequency (9-10 events) for next year

2. Avoid missing holidays with the family (This is gonna stink, because I hate holidays and would love to miss as many as possible. But I'm compromising on this.)

3. Make some semblance of effort be home when spouse is scheduled to be on-call

4. Stop talking about my hobby with them regularly, but allow them to pretend I'm a racer when they tell their friends about me

5. The weekends I'm home, I'll devote to family (and stop sneaking off to the PCA meetings or karting or VIR while the fam is asleep).

Will post update per necessity. Thx vm.

A
Old 10-26-2015, 10:33 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once a month is good for me
Sucks that we have only 6 mths to drive here in Qc
Got to get me a trailer and head south one day.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:29 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DRPM
Once a month is good for me Sucks that we have only 6 mths to drive here in Qc Got to get me a trailer and head south one day.
There is indeed a way!
Store at Sebring and fly down.

Big news: I was able to nego a win at Memorial Day AND kid 1 wants me to help him move into his apartment at college in August. My reward will be MORPCA at Indy. 😏

Quick Reply: Track-Life Balance?