Thoughts on HPDE & Safety from Ross Bentley

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015 | 06:00 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mglobe
GhettoRacer is back!
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Nope. Either you have me confused with someone else or you blatantly lie.

I have never professed to have anything. My skills are what they are, and there are PLENTY of people much faster than I in the world.

Somehow I hurt your feelings eight years ago, and I haven't a clue how.

Again, why won't you describe the alleged location or context of how we allegedly met?
Hurt my feelings 8 years ago??? No, I thought you you were a joke back then and to see you professing to be pro coach??? You have to be a very stacked blonde to hurt my feelings. I actually have the market cornered on worlds most beautiful women coming home to my old ugly *** every night. Love those beautiful Russian woman.
Old 08-28-2015 | 06:05 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Some additional perspective:

"I don't think a stock 991 GT3 at 2015 Sears point is any more or less inherently dangerous or safe than a stock 1980 930 at 1980 Sears Point."

Sears Point in 2015 is a much, much safer track than it was in 1980, and I would hypothesize that by any objective criteria a stock 991 GT3 is a much safer car than a stock 1980 930, even when track driving is considered.

In 1998, five different people were killed at Sears Point. That was before the NASCAR Bruton Smith changes. It is of course a place, like many, that deserves extra respect.

We didn't have "track days" when I started. The activity wasn't as broadly appealing as it is today. Now we have both non-profit and for profit entities competing for entrants, and in some cases this has caused a kind of dilution of best practices. And I might guess that the legal system and/or insurance industry create different constraints for groups like PCA and NASA than it does for privateers.

The famous "Flat Out" animation was created by a friend of mine, and it exists as evidence of how things have evolved.

Two other examples that readily come to mind are the proliferation of the idea that some cars are "momentum" cars, and that it is best to start out with street tires in lower horsepower cars. I feel that these two ideas are kind of "cop outs" if applied broadly or universally.

I might hypothesize that an "advanced driver in a GT3" of today with a true connection to the craft would be capable of making his or her own decisions about safety gear. But an experienced driver with a decent skill set but a weak or non-existent interest in the craft may not be as careful.

I don't visit a lot of forums, but I have been corresponding about Porsches and track driving on line since the early 90's, (well before all predecessors to rennlist) and I have seen a steady dilution of accurate information that I find disheartening.

The best I think I can do is to be an ambassador for learning and doing things the right way, and speaking out when I see evidence of the contrary. And if/when I do interact with folks with a more "passing interest," to encourage them to consider a perhaps broader perspective.

Last edited by Mahler9th; 08-28-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-28-2015 | 06:07 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

I dunno, but I would rather spend my money on someone that has natural talent. Natrual talent is very difficult to teach. You either got or or you don't.
Old 08-28-2015 | 06:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug H
I dunno, but I would rather spend my money on someone that has natural talent. Natrual talent is very difficult to teach. You either got or or you don't.
Natural talent has absolutely zero bearing on whether the person is a good coach.

Sheesh. EVERYBODY knows this.
Old 08-28-2015 | 06:15 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...t-barbers.html

Quote:
Doug, nice to finally meet you, and have some fun on track with you, this weekend.

Doug H.
Likewise. Looked like you were having fun with those tires. The guy from Atlanta with the Elise said he had fun riding with you. I think I gave 7 rides to people this weekend, blew a second gear snychro again, and wore out a brand new set of R6s.

Man, there was a lot of carnage there. I have never seen so many black flags at a DE.

I was with a student in the hair pin when the M3 flipped. it was about 30 or so feet from us when it flipped against the wall and stopped. My student quiet literally started hypervehnilating as it happened right in front of us.
Old 08-28-2015 | 06:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

OK. I guess we met at Barber. No recollection and not sure where the rub came from.
Old 08-28-2015 | 06:22 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Natural talent has absolutely zero bearing on whether the person is a good coach.

Sheesh. EVERYBODY knows this.
Hello???? When I was driving I listened to people that had natural talent. Not sure what you selling but I would hope it would be natural talent. Why would I would pay someone to tell me how to get around a track if their times are worse than mine. Please tell us your best times at various tracks.
Old 08-28-2015 | 06:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Some additional perspective:

Two other examples that readily come to mind are the proliferation of the idea that some cars are "momentum" cars, and that it is best to start out with street tires in lower horsepower cars. I feel that these two ideas are kind of "cop outs" if applied broadly or universally.

I might hypothesize that an "advanced driver in a GT3" of today with a true connection to the craft would be capable of making his or her own decisions about safety gear. But an experienced driver with a decent skill set but a weak or non-existent interest in the craft may not be as careful.

The best I think I can do is to be an ambassador for learning and doing things the right way, and speaking out when I see evidence of the contrary. And if/when I do interact with folks with a more "passing interest," to encourage them to consider a perhaps broader perspective.
Marvelous, thoughtful post... Thank you.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-28-2015 | 06:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Hello???? When I was driving I listened to people that had natural talent. Not sure what you selling but I would hope it would be natural talent. Why would I would pay someone to tell me how to get around a track if their times are worse than mine. Please tell us your best times at various tracks.

Dude, I have nothing to prove to you, nor any interest in having a dick measuring contest here or anywhere else. Come on. You're wearing your ego on your sleeve, FYI...

There are tons of incredible, natural talent drivers out there who are ABYSMAL coaches. They can lay down a world record lap in your car, but can't articulate how they did it. More crucial, they can't analyze or articulate what is holding a client back from elevating their performance. They are "unconscious competents".

I hear stories all the time about clients' bad previous experiences with spending a lot of money on a real true natural talent hot shoe, with no results other than the data for a great lap and a lot of money spent.

Lap times and natural talent are irrelevant. Of course you want a good coach to get in a client car and put down a lap faster than the client, as a learning tool, and to aid a better set up. But beyond that, there is WAY more to coaching than being able to lay down a great time.

Heck, Michael Schumacker, while he was winning 7 WDC's, had a full time driver coach. Could this guy beat Schumi in a race? Doubt it. But he was seeing things in Schumi's driving that continued to elevate his craft. That's what coaching is. not lap times.

Wow. Most experienced folks knew this already. This is why Peter Krause and Eric Foss and I and some others have a huge book of business even though there are faster and/or more "natural" drivers out there.
Old 08-28-2015 | 06:30 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Sorry, bud but you trying to tell me about car control when I started racing Karts in the late 70s and was club racing 911s in 83 you got to have a nice résumé. I didn't see that in a few years back.
Old 08-28-2015 | 06:32 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Have fun!
Old 08-28-2015 | 06:34 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Damn, I didn't know Ayrton Senna is posting from the dead. (regarding natural talent BS in a safety thread)
Old 08-28-2015 | 06:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Sorry, bud but you trying to tell me about car control when I started racing Karts in the late 70s and was club racing 911s in 83 you got to have a nice résumé. I didn't see that in a few years back.
Well, that is very special. Not sure what any of your ancient history has to do with the topic, though. Nor do I recall trying to tell you about car control.

Most advanced drivers, who want to really improve, swallow their pride and eat humble pie rather than trotting out their own "resume". Pride goeth before the fall.

You have every right to pick someone because you see their name on TV. However, that has no bearing whatsoever on whether they will actually add value to your skills or give you anything for your money beyond temporary status and bragging rights in the paddock.

As I said, the smart client knows that the fastest lap time and quality, effective coaching are two completely separate topics. Again...Michael Schumacker is the top example.

Peace.
Old 08-28-2015 | 07:03 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Default Thoughts on HPDE & Safety from Ross Bentley

We are all, for the most part, still talking about club racing and DE, correct?
Old 08-28-2015 | 07:16 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

A few more thoughts on safety for DE before I hit the gym...

I think it might be helpful for folks to consider and discuss the nature of DE versus Time Trial and "track days." By some definitions, including mine, these can be all different things and attract slightly different yet overlapping groups of participants.

I started at LRP and Blackhawk Farms in PCA DE events. When I moved to Norcal, I delved deeply into PCA DE/TT. In this latter environment, there was always a lot of talk in the paddock about the craft. Every run group lined up on pre-grid in a bit of a pecking order, not because it was mandated, but because it helped us get the best track time. At the end of the weekend it was put up or shut up with timed runs.

What I have found with track days is that the number of folks with a primary focus on the craft is far less than at a true DE or DE/TT.

I have also seen some, perhaps quite a bit of that culture develop in what has traditionally been educationally focused groups like some PCA regions. I don't feel that its bad or good, just different.

I think about things like in car video. When I started, it was a dream to have in car video. I even went so far as to rent a full-sized consumer VHS camcorder to mount in my car early on. The goal was to have video for learning and teaching purposes (for myself and my wife).

I have watched the evolution of in car video use go from "how can I/you get better" to "hey look how cool I am." I feel that is a manifestation of cultural shift.

I think there are many ways we can make things better and safer, but I think we have to define and establish goals first and avoid one size fits all scenarios.

Universal speed limits and mandatory safety equipment may not be as effective as other approaches, and I am not in favor of them.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on HPDE & Safety from Ross Bentley