Sponsored by:

Sebring in July?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 12:31 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Sebring in July?

Okay, I've been wanting to get my SCCA comp license for a while. I had hoped to do that late Feb. at Roebling. but it didn't work out. CFR is holding one in mid-July on Sebring's short course. I've never been to Sebring and it would be cool to learn at least part of the track. However, this is a long tow and during peak summer heat. Part of me says, do it and get this part done so racing can begin. The other part of me say, the heat will make it miserable and potentially dangerous. That I should wait until next Feb. to do the school. What say you?
Old 06-18-2015, 12:46 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
Okay, I've been wanting to get my SCCA comp license for a while. I had hoped to do that late Feb. at Roebling. but it didn't work out. CFR is holding one in mid-July on Sebring's short course. I've never been to Sebring and it would be cool to learn at least part of the track. However, this is a long tow and during peak summer heat. Part of me says, do it and get this part done so racing can begin. The other part of me say, the heat will make it miserable and potentially dangerous. That I should wait until next Feb. to do the school. What say you?
It's hot everywhere in July isn't it. If you have time, go.
I won't say you won't feel the heat entirely, but you may be so stoked that it doesn't matter. That said, good practice for dealing with it. Coolshirt, hydration etc.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:30 AM
nosubt2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have raced Sebring for many summers, it is very hot. SCCA schools keep you very busy. In addition to lots of water, Kool suit is mandatory and you will need crew to take care of the car while you try to cool down. Do not do this school without help. A popup tent is also mandatory, get a pit stall if possible they are the coolest place at the track.
Driving the short course will teach you 75 % of the full course.
Go and have fun
Mark
Old 06-19-2015, 12:04 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Yes, it is hot across most of the states in July. Typically, I either try to head north to WGI this time of year or sit out Jul/Aug. Did a couple VIR events, instructing with Chin I think, and it was tough. Told myself I wouldn't do that again unless paid to drive. VIR that time of year averages within a couple degrees of Sebring.

I don't have a CoolShirt system, but was thinking about one of those Phase Change Cool-Vest. Could throw that on before getting in the car and after getting out. I do have a canopy to shade the car or myself. And the paddock area is in the "Green" area of the track, which supposedly has some trees for shade.

I don't have a mechanic or anyone that will be going down with me. But, perhaps I can finding a group that is servicing some SM for this event and have them look after my car as well. Should something happen to the car, I certainly do not want to work on it in the heat and then jump in to drive. Think I'd wave the flag at that point.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:21 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Shade trees at Sebring?
Old 06-19-2015, 06:14 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
Shade trees at Sebring?
There are a couple shade trees. At most. :-)
Old 06-19-2015, 08:56 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
There are a couple shade trees. At most. :-)
Funny, kind-of what I thought from the races I've watched, but what one person conveyed that to me. Besides shade moves...
Old 06-19-2015, 09:25 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Actually if you are doing the back half of the track (short course), you will be hanging out in Green Park, and there are some additional trees out there. Sebring in July on a race track is still about as hot of an experience as you'd ever want to endure so be sure to hydrate and use a cool suit if one is available.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

The bugs can be unbelievable there in July...
Old 06-19-2015, 01:48 PM
schao
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealing with the heat is one thing (cool suit, cool vest, shade, etc.), but the race school schedule is another. I would strongly advise you have someone to help you maintain your car (checking fluids, tire pressures, whatever else necessary) so you can focus on just driving and taking in instructor feedback. Missing a part of a session or one altogether (either because you don't feel well or the car has a temporary issue) will almost ensure you don't pass and get your license (minimum time track requirement). Also, people want to get to know you and get a sense of whether you can be trusted going wheel to wheel, so you do bonding between track sessions while someone else tends to your car.

Another option is rent a car (SM or whatever) for the school; you avoid time and cost to tow down, will have crew to maintain the car, and you do your thing. Yes running the club course will help you with the long course later on, but minimally as it's really T1 and T17 that really challenges. Good luck!

Sherman
Old 06-19-2015, 02:36 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Good advice on renting a car for the school. You need to concentrate
On driving and making meetings. If you want to do just one school be sure to let your instructor know in advance. Yes it's hot but it can also be wet so have rain tires available. I usually inst for the PDX but will be in the mountains of NC that weekend soaking up the cool

Peter
Old 06-19-2015, 04:40 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Hum, this still has me wondering whether it's worth doing this event over just waiting until Feb for Roebling. I would probably only be able to get in one race this year, the Goblins Go @ VIR, but it is the starting race for next seasons' SARRC.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Id do the school at Roebling...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-21-2015, 12:39 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

last time I did a July event there, think it was Chin - track was around 117 degrees in the sun - humidity was high - afternoon we had a ton of rain - after which I vowed to keep my track days between October and June

BTW - Sebring is an awesome track to drive. In my humble opinion there are around four different levels that need to be mastered

First is getting the corners / line correct
2nd is getting the exits correct on the fast corners (like 7, 16 and 17)
3rd is discovering all the major bumps and changes in pavement and how to navigate and keep the car composed
4th is putting that all together for a fast lap
Old 06-21-2015, 07:02 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Id do the school at Roebling...
Yeah, I froze my *** off last time I was there. Of course that was in January.

Quick Reply: Sebring in July?