Sponsored by:

"E" and "D" class?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 10:42 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 776 Posts

Point well taken.

Anyone want to throw rough complete rebuilt $ numbers at me between the 2?
Could one put a G50 to replace a 915 instead?
Old 04-06-2015, 10:51 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Point well taken.

Mild fix of 915 $3k or $4k.

G50 will not fit in place of 915 with major mods.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:52 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 147 Posts

If I remember correctly, converting a pre 87 911 to a G50 is not as easy as just swapping in the G50. Some chassis mods and I think the rear torsion bar tubes are different. It can be done, but it's pricey. Someone with way more knowledge than I have on this subject can fill in the blanks for sure.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:56 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Point well taken.

Last G50 quote I heard about was over $8000... but i'm sure there are many here with firsthand knowledge, which I do not have.
Conversion, sure you can, it's a $10k+ ordeal requiring a new pedal cluster, hydraulic line to clutch slave, special shortened bell housing modified G50, et. etc. And of course the rest of the car would have to be made into an 87-89 Carrera to be legal, no idea what the differences are.
Nothing wrong with a 915!
Old 04-06-2015, 11:02 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 147 Posts

^^^ +1. Nothing wrong with a 915.

As long as you don't try to shift it like you would running a Mustang through the 1/4 mile, the 915 will hold up just fine. Change the gear oil regularly and adding a cooler isn't a bad idea, and you can get years out of them.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:11 AM
Jas0nn
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Is your avatar actually an E class car?
Yup, normally D class (78) but runs in E as a Prepared car
Old 04-06-2015, 12:04 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Why does this E class Euro SC vs 3.2 debate matter to you? You have a D class car, correct?
Tactically yes he is.....

Not being in an e car and trying to compare them on paper is rediculous........being on track with the two may have you thinking differently

Yes I run a 3.2.....yes that lap at summit was a good one....but I also run at tracks like VIR watkins sebring mid Ohio where the euro SC is king...I'm getting closer but tactically or not...I've started in front and behind euro's......their extra rpms and less weight in braking are "tactically" somethibg to think about....what I would give for a few more revs ar certain track....would just make shifting soo much better. ...example of watkins....with a good run out of 1 your shifting at a crappy place at the top of the hill in the last esse mid corner or you have to shift early ...ask jack haha

And the 915 is great...yeh have to be nice.....but you can shift ot fast....one day I'll learn to be nice
Old 04-06-2015, 01:58 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Why does this E class Euro SC vs 3.2 debate matter to you? You have a D class car, correct?
I've actually kept abreast of this discussion over the last couple of years.

I ran the old G-Stock for years, but the writing was on the wall, so when I rebuilt my engine, I planned to upgrade it to Euro Spec (E), but could not find OEM pistons.

So I rebuilt it as a US Spec, then took a few years off. When I decided to try racing again, D Stock was clearly a dying class.

"Plan A" was to re-do it as E "Prepared", but it was clear that this was a losing proposition.

"Plan B" is to upgrade it to 3.2 Spec (I have a really low-mile 3.2 collecting dust in my garage), but even so, I'd probably have to put at least $15K in the car to make it competitive... so this would be remarkably stupid.

"Plan C" is to keep it in D, and drive around by myself with my thumb up my a**.

"Plan D" is to sell it for next to nothing, buy a used E-class 3.2 for twice as much, and dump $10K into that.... ahhh, no.

"Plan E" put flowers in it, park it in the front yard, get a Corvette, and just do DE.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:11 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
I've actually kept abreast of this discussion over the last couple of years.

I ran the old G-Stock for years, but the writing was on the wall, so when I rebuilt my engine, I planned to upgrade it to Euro Spec (E), but could not find OEM pistons.

So I rebuilt it as a US Spec, then took a few years off. When I decided to try racing again, D Stock was clearly a dying class.

"Plan A" was to re-do it as E "Prepared", but it was clear that this was a losing proposition.

"Plan B" is to upgrade it to 3.2 Spec (I have a really low-mile 3.2 collecting dust in my garage), but even so, I'd probably have to put at least $15K in the car to make it competitive... so this would be remarkably stupid.

"Plan C" is to keep it in D, and drive around by myself with my thumb up my a**.

"Plan D" is to sell it for next to nothing, buy a used E-class 3.2 for twice as much, and dump $10K into that.... ahhh, no.

"Plan E" put flowers in it, park it in the front yard, get a Corvette, and just do DE.

so true!
Old 04-06-2015, 02:13 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jas0nn
Yup, normally D class (78) but runs in E as a Prepared car
I"m new to PCA racing. Been with HSR and SVRA for the past 2 years and it's a different animal.

What is "Prepared"? Your fenders look a lot wider than my 79, and your wing is for sure not what I'm used to seeing in E class.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:17 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I"m new to PCA racing. Been with HSR and SVRA for the past 2 years and it's a different animal.

What is "Prepared"? Your fenders look a lot wider than my 79, and your wing is for sure not what I'm used to seeing in E class.
“PREPARED” CARS
Any vehicle meeting the criteria for a “stock” Porsche per the previous rules and having one or more of the following changes will progress one stock class down the alphabet (e.g. E to F) except as noted. Cars whose original stock class is L may not make any of the “prepared” modifications and remain in a “stock” class. Any such modification will result in reclassification to the appropriate “super class” based on “super class” criteria alone. Note that prepared cars are classified as stock, and compete in the appropriate Class A-L; therefore, except as noted below, all stock rules take precedence.
1. Engine
A. ECU (DME) may be reprogrammed or reflashed, but this cannot affect boost on turbocharged cars.
B. Factory available power packages for 930, 3.3L 964 Turbo, 3.6L 964 Turbo, 996, 996 Turbo, and 997 and later (e.g. X33, X88, X51, X50).
C. Substitution of carburetors for electronic fuel injection on 914’s.
D. Modifications/changes/substitutions of carburetors/venturis on carbureted cars.
E. Non-standard ignition system. The number of spark plugs must remain the same as stock.
F. Flywheels are free. Clutch disk must be the stock diameter.
G. Substitution of carburetors or mechanical fuel injection for CIS or Motronic systems on 911’s, engine unmodified from intake port to exhaust port, progresses up two stock classes.
H. Substitution of mass flow system for stock air flow metering system progresses up two stock classes.
I. Underdrive pulleys except for power steering belt on Boxster/Cayman.
J. Cold air intake devices that alter the path of intake air after the air filter box and before the throttle body are allowed on Boxsters, Caymans, Panameras and 911s from 1999 to present. 2015 PCA Club Racing Rules Page 15 of 54
2. Suspension
A. Slotting of the shock tower is allowed.
B. Spacers to adjust the height of the tie rod end at the steering arm are allowed.
C. McPherson strut spindles may be raised.
3. Tires and Wheels - Wheels two inches wider than originally supplied and any tire combination which fits under the fender is allowed. Tires and wheels must comply with Stock rules 3A-D.
4. Brakes
A. Calipers, non-adjustable pressure limiters, rotors, brake booster and master cylinder are free, except the number of master cylinders must be as supplied by the factory.
B. Alternate ABS control units that do not provide traction control are permitted.
5. Transmission - Ratio of the ring and pinion may be changed. For 996/997/Boxster/Cayman where there is no alternate ring and pinion available, a gear set for all forward gears not on the main shaft may be substituted if the resulting gear ratios for the substituted gears are equivalent to a ring and pinion change.
6. Body/Chassis/Interior
A. Ducting of exterior body panels for additional cooling provided it does not change size and shape of factory panels.
B. Slope nose conversions are allowed, however, tire/wheel requirements must remain as per above.
C. Fender flaring is allowed using factory material
D. Rear wings may be added. For 911/914/Cayman/Boxster models, the wing may not be any higher, relative to a line parallel to the ground at the maximum height of the roof, than a factory (non-extended) 3.8 RSR wing (10” below roofline). For 924/928/944/968 models, the wing may not be any higher, relative to the roofline, than a factory (non-extended) 968 Turbo S/RS wing (9” below roofline). Wings may not exceed maximum factory body width by any amount, or maximum factory body length by more than 1 inch.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:27 PM
Jas0nn
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 182 Posts

Prepared cars are allowed certain modifications beyond the standard Stock ruleset (they're outlined in the CCR), but they move the car up one (or two if we're talking substituting carbs for CIS). From D to E, for example. A prepared car must run at the same weight as it would in its "native" class.

Those modifications allowances include brakes, fender flaring, wing, ring & pinion, etc ... But when we're talking about D cars in E, none of those changes make the car any faster in practice. Or at least not fast enough to overcome the 30whp power decifict (180hp v. 207hp stock). IMHO.

Does it really matter? The car you have and can race today is better than waiting for that perfect car tomorrow. In my case I was turning my track rat into a racecar and would have had to run in GT (fiberglass flares, built 3.2) or NASA GTS - but then I came across this car and it was ready to race after just an oil change ...

If I develop as a driver to the point that my car is holding me back perhaps I'll revisit my current situation. But for now I have a ton of fun, and I've found plenty of cars to race against.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:41 PM
Niels e46 m3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive raced an "E" car for the last several years now... its a "Euro SC", and has been a fairly competitive car...

If I could start over tomorrow, I'd go with a 3.2 for reliability (mainly to move past the CIS). Latest rules make the 3.2L cars very competitive with Euro SCs... As Evan mentioned, sometimes it just comes down to a certain track favoring a certain car. Sebring seemed to favor 3.2 Carreras! :-(
Old 04-06-2015, 03:55 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

How prevalent is cheating in E class? Some of those records seem really old. Especially considering tires have gotten better.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:08 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

How prevalent is cheating in E class? Some of those records seem really old. Especially considering tires have gotten better.
It's widespread, even epidemic in some areas....

On another note, a woman that posts here occasionally just emailed me on a completely different matter as I was given her name as a contact for the Ferrari Club DE program. Apparent she is not, and regarding my introduction to her she wrote:

"And I know who you are from events in the past 10 years and your misogynist entries on the RennList."

Has ANYONE ever known me to be demeaning or prejudiced towards woman in the sport (or woman in general)? I mean a ****-stirrer, yes, but a misogynist???

Quick Reply: "E" and "D" class?