Sponsored by:

"E" and "D" class?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 02:11 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

My US spec SC D car ends up mid pack in E. The motor is too strong to justify doing anything to it to jump to E but won't hang with E cars especially at the longer tracks. So....D is where I B.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:14 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There were more D cars than E cars at Road Atlanta last week. Sebring had 6 or so. E is normally bigger, not always.
3.0l SC can be converted to 3.0l Euro with an engine upgrade and few other required bits.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:29 AM
gregturek
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
what is the difference between "E" class and "D" class race cars in PCA?
E used to have more front engine cars than rear engine cars.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:30 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
My US spec SC D car ends up mid pack in E. The motor is too strong to justify doing anything to it to jump to E but won't hang with E cars especially at the longer tracks. So....D is where I B.
Nice, so i can run a D car with the E cars if need be.....
Old 04-05-2015, 10:49 AM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 354 Likes on 171 Posts

Nice, so i can run a D car with the E cars if need be.....
Yes - and there are a host of prepared modifications that you can add, in turn ...

Brakes, wide body (same material as stock), wing (10" below roof, no wider than car), wider wheels (+2" over stock), ring & pinion, etc ...
Old 04-05-2015, 12:19 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
Hopefully sean or gary can chime in as they have done this
...you have 2 choices
modify to make you e prepared....aka d class car with .ods to make it an e class

Or swap out all the parts for the car you want to be...updating. ...if you wanna be a 3.2 carrera you need to change brakes (rotors and calipers are diff) engine and whatever else there is...if you wanna be a euro 3.0 it's engine and I think brakes are the same

I'm less of an expert on the mechanics and just like to drive it...e class is loads of fun with some really good drivers come on out...lots of good guys willing to talk
Chiming.

If I had it to do again I would have built a Euro SC as I had a Euro motor and only went 3.2 because that's what Sean was doing at the time. Will never know which is "better" (to me) because my poor 3.2 "Carrera" wasn't given much of a chance to prove herself before I walloped her. Doug C. knows better than I of what it takes to build a legal Euro motor but between euro pistons, distributor, fuel distributor, lines, etc. etc. it isn't easy or cheap. You may have to do a minor gear change, don't know. Same brakes. 77 lb lighter with some of that being unsprung (brakes).
To turn an SC into a legal 3.2 it takes a fresh 3.2, Motronic ECU and harness, slight re-gear of the 915, new Carrera calipers and rotors, a brake line restriction valve, and added weight. The fact is simple, a top driver in a top D car will run at the pointy end of E. Won't win against the top E driver and car, but won't be way back. Problem is most top D drivers are in E now..
Old 04-05-2015, 12:21 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flatsics
So you figured all of this out in the two races you have done since 2006...
Old 04-05-2015, 01:38 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Chiming.

If I had it to do again I would have built a Euro SC as I had a Euro motor and only went 3.2 because that's what Sean was doing at the time. Will never know which is "better" (to me) because my poor 3.2 "Carrera" wasn't given much of a chance to prove herself before I walloped her. Doug C. knows better than I of what it takes to build a legal Euro motor but between euro pistons, distributor, fuel distributor, lines, etc. etc. it isn't easy or cheap. You may have to do a minor gear change, don't know. Same brakes. 77 lb lighter with some of that being unsprung (brakes).
To turn an SC into a legal 3.2 it takes a fresh 3.2, Motronic ECU and harness, slight re-gear of the 915, new Carrera calipers and rotors, a brake line restriction valve, and added weight. The fact is simple, a top driver in a top D car will run at the pointy end of E. Won't win against the top E driver and car, but won't be way back. Problem is most top D drivers are in E now..
What is the difference between SC and Euro SC?
Old 04-05-2015, 02:16 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

What is the difference between SC and Euro SC?
Compression ratios mostly.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:00 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Compression ratios mostly.
If it were only that easy. For a road car you can emulate one pretty easily, to be a PCA Stock E legal car it is neither easy nor inexpensive to go from Stock D US SC to Stock E Euro SC... Remember it's only the 81-83 Euro that is an E car. Maybe Doug will chime in. I bet there have been plenty of "emulated" Euro SC's running in D at one time or another...
Old 04-05-2015, 03:18 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 97 Posts

I bought an E car (86 Carrera). Now gotta get my license and learn how to double clutch this thing they call 915.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:30 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jas0nn
Yes - and there are a host of prepared modifications that you can add, in turn ...

Brakes, wide body (same material as stock), wing (10" below roof, no wider than car), wider wheels (+2" over stock), ring & pinion, etc ...
Problem is none of them will make the car any more competitive IMHO.. By the way, I just realized your car is in my avatar (before it beautiful repaint). Case in point, my car was a D car, the two cars I passed were both in E...
Old 04-05-2015, 04:06 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

If it were only that easy. For a road car you can emulate one pretty easily, to be a PCA Stock E legal car it is neither easy nor inexpensive to go from Stock D US SC to Stock E Euro SC... Remember it's only the 81-83 Euro that is an E car. Maybe Doug will chime in. I bet there have been plenty of "emulated" Euro SC's running in D at one time or another...
WUR (warm up regulator)
Fuel Distributor
Steel CIS fuel lines
Ignition Distributor
Rev limiting ignition rotor
Big port heads and intake runners
245mm engine Fan---not the 225mm fan on the 78-79 USA SC

Depending on which SC you are converting:
2nd and 5th gear can be different
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2015, 04:14 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flatsics
WUR (warm up regulator)
Fuel Distributor
Steel CIS fuel lines
Ignition Distributor
Rev limiting ignition rotor
Big port heads and intake runners
245mm engine Fan---not the 225mm fan on the 78-79 USA SC

Depending on which SC you are converting:
2nd and 5th gear can be different
Never heard the fan thing, doubt they would enforce it unless it was my conversion.. Forgot the heads too, that's a biggie if you don't have a 78-79, not that all the other items don't add up!
Old 04-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 354 Likes on 171 Posts

Problem is none of them will make the car any more competitive IMHO.. By the way, I just realized your car is in my avatar (before it beautiful repaint). Case in point, my car was a D car, the two cars I passed were both in E...
Agreed. My guess is that it would have been more "competitive" (less uncompetitive?) between 3.0SC/Euro SC/3.2 before chips were allowed in stock classes.

On the plus side, Prepared modifications would hypothetically allow you to also run a little more competitively in NASA GTS - it's improbable that a cad could run at the sharp end of two different classes, but it does open the door to more racing options.

My car has been around for a while, first under Jim's care then with Steve (MUSSBERGER) and now I'm just trying to keep it in one piece ...

Quick Reply: "E" and "D" class?